The West Prince car rally has been cancelled, police say.
The RCMP had issued a warning Thursday to anyone considering taking part in potentially illegal activities associated with such a rally, which had been scheduled for this weekend or the weekend of Jan. 27.
On Friday, West Prince RCMP said they had identified and spoken with the people involved in the car rally. The social media page through which the event was being organized has been removed and the event cancelled, said police.
The RCMP will continue to monitor the situation and conduct increased patrols.
Staff at Westisle Composite High School became aware of the planned rally earlier this week. In a message to parents and on the school’s Facebook page Wednesday, principal Heidi Morgan stressed that the rally was not a school-endorsed event. School staff also alerted the RCMP.
The post listed several of the challenges that were to be part of the relay, such as: drive 160 kilometres per hour, down shots of alcohol, damage a mailbox, get in a fight, skinny dip, run a red light, and “hook up with a freshman.”
Yesterday, Morgan said things that happen outside of the school are not in the school’s jurisdiction, but added: “Sometimes, those things affect the atmosphere within the building. When it affects the atmosphere in the building and it affects students; ability to achieve academic success, then we, most definitely, look into it.”