Top News

Six Charlottetown residents displaced after apartment fire

Susan Murl, superintendent of a Beach Grove apartment building, stands beside a stove that was destroyed by a fire in one of the units Friday evening.
Susan Murl, superintendent of a Beach Grove apartment building, stands beside a stove that was destroyed by a fire in one of the units Friday evening. - Katie Smith

Five women and a toddler have been displaced following a fire that damaged two apartment units in Charlottetown Friday night.

No one was injured during the fire, which occurred inside a six-unit apartment building at 147 Beach Grove Rd. in West Royalty.

Three women shared the apartment unit where the fire began.

Superintendent Susan Murl said the fire is believed to have started when oil on a stove caught fire.

“They were, I guess, cooking and it got out of control,” Murl told The Guardian at the West Royalty apartment complex on Saturday. “Everyone is ok.”

Two woman and an 18-month-old boy lived in an adjacent unit that had significant smoke damage.

Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross have assisted all six residents with emergency lodging, food and clothing purchases, and other basics.

The Guardian was unable to reach officials from the Charlottetown Fire Department over the weekend.

Recent Stories