“The can exploded like a volcano when I opened it. There were tomatoes on my shirt, the electric can opener and the microwave,” the Charlottetown resident says.
Realizing that the contents had been under pressure and might not be fit for eating, he decided to pour the remaining tomatoes into the sink.
That’s when a piece of string fell out. It was “15 inches and very thick.”
“I was disgusted,” says Thompson, whose feelings soon turned to anger after noticing there was no best-before date on the can.
After making several attempts to call Unico’s quality control department and only receiving a recording, he left several voice mail messages. To date the company has not responded to his messages.
“So I felt it was time to let the public know about this,” says Thompson, who contacted The Guardian on Monday.
The Guardian contacted Unico’s quality control department Tuesday, received a similar recording and left a voice mail message.
Unico had not returned the call as of deadline.