The City of Charlottetown’s planning and heritage boards have both voted against an application to delist a historic log home as a heritage resource.
Ray Campbell had made the application for his property at 15 Hillsborough St.
The final decision will rest with city council at its regular public monthly meeting on Monday. The city’s advisory boards can only make recommendation to council, but it’s up to council to make the final decision.
Campbell wants to delist the home so he can continue dismantling it. He has explained in the past, and did so again this week before the planning and heritage boards, that he can’t get insurance on the home and that it’s a liability.
This is the latest step in what has been a long drawn-out affair over the home’s fate. Campbell has been fighting with the city over this property for the better part of two years.
Campbell finally began dismantling the siding on the property when the city stepped in with a court order telling him to stop. Campbell then applied to the city’s planning and heritage boards to delist the property. At this point, council voted to send the matter to a public meeting, which took place Aug. 29.
Coun. Greg Rivard, chairman of the city’s planning and heritage boards, said the heritage board discussed the matter and felt the “revoking of its heritage designation to allow for its demolition is not an acceptable conservation strategy within the city’s key guiding heritage policies’’.
That includes the city’s zoning and heritage development bylaw, its official plan and the standards and guidelines from the conservation of historic places in Canada.
Heritage board rejected the delist request and sent the matter to planning.
Planning board met Tuesday night, with Campbell in attendance, and rejected the application.
Rivard said he received a call Tuesday from a party interested in buying the property and meeting Campbell’s asking price. Campbell told The Guardian earlier this year he was asking $150,000.