Hogg to testify

Jeffrey Lea Hogg will take the stand in sexual assault trial when it resumes April 15

Ryan Ross rross@theguardian.pe.ca
Published on March 29, 2016


The trial for a man accused of sexually assaulting a woman he met through an online dating website was adjourned Tuesday before he could take the stand.

Jeffrey Lee Hogg plans to testify in his own defence, but there was not enough time Tuesday morning for the court to hear his full testimony.

Provincial court Chief Judge Nancy Orr adjourned the case until April 15 to give a chance for Hogg to testify and have the Crown cross-examine him on the same day.

The alleged victim met Hogg through the online dating website Plenty of Fish and testified she went to meet him on a converted lobster boat to talk about a job offer.

The woman alleged Hogg tried to rape her in the boat's cabin.

She also testified he went by the name Adam and that she didn't find out his real name until several weeks later.

During Tuesday's proceedings, the court heard that a Kensington police communications support technician initially helped identify Hogg.

The day after it was filed, the technician saw a report from East Prince RCMP about an alleged sexual assault involving an unknown male.

That report included a phone number for the male, and when the technician searched for it online she found an ad selling a TV.

The ad had a picture of the TV taken outside and a reflection in the screen showed a large man.

Earlier in the trial, Hogg's accuser estimated he weighed about 350 pounds.

The technician thought she recognized the street where the photo was taken.

Kensington's police chief went with her to the street and they later provided information they had learned to the RCMP, including Hogg's identity.

During Tuesday's proceedings, the defence finished cross-examining the alleged victim, and the court heard briefly from the investigating officer.

Hogg was convicted in 2012 of sexually assaulting a different woman he met through Plenty of Fish.

He was sentenced to 27 months in prison and successfully had his conviction overturned in the P.E.I. Court of Appeal.

The Supreme Court of Canada later restored the initial conviction.

A publication ban prevents the release of any information that could identify the woman.