Alberton man breaks jaw of his half-sister's ex-boyfriend

Ryan Ross
Published on March 13, 2016


Final sentencing Tuesday in Curklan Romey Fraser's assault case

An Alberton man who broke his half-sister's ex-boyfriend's jaw in an unprovoked assault will find out Tuesday if he'll be going to jail.

Curklan Romey Fraser appeared before Judge John Douglas in provincial court in Charlottetown Friday morning for sentencing on the April 19, 2015 assault.

The court heard the victim and his girlfriend were walking to the Delta Prince Edward Hotel from Peakes Quay when Fraser, who was 18 at the time, got out of a nearby car.

Without any provocation or warning, Fraser started to punch the victim who fell to the ground.

When the victim got up he ran toward the hotel.

Fraser caught up to him near the building's entrance and kept up the assault, punching the victim in the face and upper body numerous times.

The blows broke the victim's jaw in two places, knocked out a tooth and left him with a swollen face and bruises.

He was bleeding during the assault and his girlfriend tried to get Fraser to stop.

Crown attorney Valerie Moore said the couple estimated Fraser hit the victim 15 to 20 times.

Fraser denied hitting him that many times.

The victim didn't retaliate or hit back.

When he stopped, Fraser left the scene and a Delta employee called the police.

The victim's jaw required surgery and was wired shut for four weeks.

Because of his injuries, the victim couldn't eat solid food for two months and Moore said he lost about 25 pounds.

The victim dated Fraser's half-sister about two or three years ago and Moore said he hadn't had any contact with Fraser since then, except for a recent encounter on the wharf in Tignish.

Moore said the accused wanted to fight the victim because of uncomplimentary things he was saying about Fraser's half-sister.

The victim denied saying anything about her.

Fraser alleged the victim was the aggressor at the wharf.

Moore suggested a sentence of four to five months in jail would be appropriate while the defence asked for a conditional discharge.

The attack seemed out of line with the glowing character references people who know Fraser gave, some of which were read out in court.

Fraser also addressed the court to say he was sorry for what happened.

"I just want you guys to know that I'm not some kind of animal," he said.

He also brought a cheque for $1,450.92 in restitution for the victim to pay costs associated with the fallout of the assault.

The judge adjourned the case until Tuesday when he will hand down a sentence.