Man involved in Charlottetown assault sentenced to 20 months in jail

Ryan Ross
Published on March 11, 2016

Sgt. Shane Carr, forensic identification officer with Charlottetown Police Services, enters 177 Euston Street in Charlottetown during an ongoing investigation Tuesday at that address.
The Guardian has learned that a victim there was attacked, later taken to hospital in Halifax.

©THE GUARDIAN/Nigel Armstrong

A man who was involved in an assault that cost the victim an eye was sentenced Friday to 20 months in jail.

Michael Robert Bryenton appeared before Judge John Douglas in provincial court in Charlottetown for sentencing for assault causing bodily harm.

He also entered a guilty plea to a probation breach.

Bryenton was charged with aggravated assault after a Nov. 24, 2015 assault that sent Trevor Acorn to hospital in Halifax for treatment of injuries that included skull fractures.

Acorn lost an eye and needed nine plates in his face and skull.

During the trial, both men testified a third person hit Acorn with a piece of wood.

RELATED: Man guilty of assault in violent Charlottetown attack over drugs

RELATED: Judge takes time for decision in Michael Robert Bryenton assault trial

Douglas didn't find Bryenton hit Acorn, but did rule he was a party to the assault that caused Acorn's injuries.

The court heard Bryenton had a lengthy criminal record with 83 convictions, including 10 for assault.

Before hearing his sentence, Bryenton addressed the court to apologize for his actions and say he wants to deal with his addictions.

"Hopefully when I get out I can put my best foot forward and start a new life," he said.

In handing down a sentence, Douglas gave Bryenton credit of four-and-a-half months for time in custody since his arrest, leaving him 15-and-a-half months left to serve.

Douglas also sentenced him to three months to be served concurrently on the probation breach.

Bryenton will have to pay $300 in victim surcharges and provide a DNA sample for the national databank.

Douglas also ordered a 10-year weapon prohibition.

Jeremy Joseph Cummiskey was also charged in connection with the assault after allegedly hitting Acorn with a 2x6.

He pleaded not guilty and his trial adjourned until March 30 when Chief Judge Nancy Orr will give her verdict.