Vacationing West Prince resident says money taken from hotel room safe

Eric McCarthy newsroom@journalpioneer.com
Published on February 10, 2016

Randy Noye on vacation at the Royalton Punta Cana Resort in January. Noye is upset with the way his report of a theft from his room safe was handled by resort security.

©Submitted photo

Alberton’s Randy Noye says wallet empty when he retrieved it from safe during vacation in Dominican Republic

ALBERTON – A vacationing P.E.I man figured the safe in his room would have been the best place to keep his wallet and passport while out enjoying nearby attractions.

Alberton’s Randy Noye says his wallet was empty when he retrieved it from the safe upon returning from the outing during a recent vacation in the Dominican Republic.

He said it had $3,600 in it. His wife had counted it before they left.

Randy and Jeannie Noye, their daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren had checked into the five-star luxury Royalton Punta Cana Resort on Friday, Jan. 22.

On Jan. 23, having requested a room closer to the rest of their party, Noye said he and his wife didn’t bother to unpack but went out to enjoy the area.

When advised, around 4 p.m., that a room was available, they went immediately to gather their luggage. It was then that he discovered the wallet had been emptied.

Wanting to make sure they hadn’t misplaced the money, he said they went through all of their belongings before reporting the theft to resort security the next morning.

“At that point, they jumped all over me: ‘this is serious about making a claim — somebody could lose their job,’ ” he paraphrased. “Nobody ever said, ‘Gee, Mr. Noye, I’m sorry; we’ll get an investigation started.’ ”

He said they seemed more concerned about when the Noye party would be leaving the resort.

“They never took any responsibility for the money being gone,” he added.

Since last Thursday, Noye has been in email contact with Sunwing Vacations about his experience.

In a statement to TC Media, Sunwing Vacations’ senior marketing director Jacqueline Grossman said the company has launched a full investigation with the hotel and will be pursuing the matter as a priority.

“Customer safety and security is paramount to us, and we take these matters very seriously,” Grossman stated.

Sunwing advised Noye its goal is to have a response or an update for him within 30 days.

In an email to Sunwing on the morning of Feb. 8, Noye said he wants the company to acknowledge there is an issue with how hotel management handles thefts and treats Sunwing guests.

Although security told him they investigated his complaint, Noye said he was not permitted to scan computer-generated data that would indicate times, and by what room card keys, his room was entered.

“These safes, they’re all the same; they’re pretty Mickey Mouse,” Noye said, suggesting someone with the master code could easily gain access. He noted his daughter couldn’t get into her room’s safe and a staff member was able to open it in mere seconds.

He said he wants to be reimbursed for the $3,600, and have management and security from the resort apologize for the way they dealt with the theft he reported.