Breaking point

Steve Sharratt
Published on February 5, 2016

Breaking Point

GEORGETOWN - A man who reached a breaking point in a child payment case and told police to come and get him found himself surrounded by the flashing lights of police cruisers and the emergency response team last fall in Lorne Valley.

Scott Boyd Shaw was charged with uttering a threat after he became agitated the morning of Oct. 30 and told an official he was either “going to put a bullet in his head or hers” — referring to a former partner.

He appeared in provincial court Thursday before Judge Nancy Orr, who agreed to a request for a pre-sentence report made by his lawyer, Karen MacLeod. Orr was surprised little had been done about the incident since it occurred and ordered Shaw to undergo immediate mental health assessments.

“The police were called by his mother, who was concerned about how upset her son was,’’ said crown prosecutor Nathan Beck. “She was fearful he might harm himself.”

Beck told the court that changes in the dispensation of child support payments had caused the accused to become visibly shaken, and he made comments in front of his mother about the safety of his own well-being before leaving his parental home.

Court was told Shaw, who lives in Stratford and has property in Lorne Valley, had a phone conversation with a child maintenance worker that morning in which he uttered the expression that he would either put a bullet in his head or his child’s mother.

That led to further police intervention. Officers were unaware if Shaw was armed when they were advised “to come and get him”. The ERT — emergency response team — was summoned along with the dog handler and numerous police cruisers that arrived at Shaw’s Lorne Valley property.

Encamped on the road, police then phoned the accused inside the property. The standoff didn’t take very long before Shaw agreed to come out peacefully; he was neither armed nor did he threaten police.

Orr was told the incident lasted just over two hours from the time the first call for assistance was made that morning until the time Shaw was arrested and read his rights around noon. The case was adjourned pending the pre-sentence report.