Man flees home with family dog as fire destroys home

There were no injuries in Branch Road fire

Brian McInnis
Published on January 23, 2016

A house fire on the Branch Road in Tryon destroyed a home Friday. There were no injuries.

©Guardian photo by Brian McInnis

Victor Martin says a loud and squawking smoke alarm probably saved the life of his son Steve when it woke him from a nap as smoke filled his house after a fire broke out Friday night.

Fire destroyed the home on Branch Road in Tryon and the family lost almost everything except what was most precious – their lives.

Steve Martin’s wife, Robyn, was away so he was home alone taking a nap on the couch when the fire began, said the elder Martin in a short interview Saturday.  The alarm aroused him and he grabbed the family’s little dog and fled the house. There were no injuries.

As Martin spoke to a photographer in the backyard of the blackened home, a family member came out carrying a box containing photos of a family wedding. The box was black with soot, but she and Martin were amazed to see the irreplaceable photographs were unharmed – something to be thankful for in such painful circumstances.

Victor Martin said he owned the house for four or five years and is not certain how old it is, but said it was part of a farm years ago. He said his son and wife were the only tenants.

Martin said Robert Arsenault, deputy P.E.I. fire marshal, was on the scene, but has not determined the cause, but said he thinks it began in an area of the house that contained a refrigerator.

The home is insured, Martin said.