Summerside Provincial Court House. Journal Pioneer file photo
SUMMERSIDE — A 46-year-old city man will be on probation for 12 months after pleading guilty Tuesday to sexual interference of a minor.
The charge stems from an incident in 2004 and involves the man’s stepdaughter. His name is not being disclosed to protect the identity of his victim.
The man had been convicted last December of sexually assaulting two other stepdaughters, charges stemming from an investigation that began in March 2013.
At the time, the two girls provided police with statements, resulting in the charges, and the victim in this case also provided statements, but, noted Crown attorney John Diamond in Summerside provincial court, there wasn’t enough information to warrant charges being laid.
After a third statement was taken, the charge was laid against the man.
Diamond said if this charge had been dealt with last December with the others the man likely wouldn’t have had much more added to his sentence.
According to facts, the man attempted to touch his young stepdaughter in a sexual manner while she in the shower. When she told him to stop and leave, he did so.
A joint request was made for a suspended sentence with a 12-month probation term, to which Judge Jeff Lantz agreed.
As part of his probation, the man must stay away from his victim, undergo assessment, counselling and treatment for any mental health issues, including, if ordered, sexual deviancy assessment and counselling.
The man will be on the sex offender registry for life and has already provided police with a DNA sample for its databank. He was ordered to pay a $150 victim surcharge.