Glenn Adams takes back a pan of lobsters from his son's catch. With some Island buyers imposing boat quotas this week, some fishermen are running into difficulty finding sale for their entire catch and others are only fishng part of their gear.
ALBERTON – Fishermen delivering their lobster catches to port in Northport on Wednesday were remaining calm despite being limited to about 450 pounds of lobster per boat. The quota has been lowered each day this week.
Some fishermen were able to sell their entire catch while others were handed back full or partial pans of lobsters.
“It’s not good,” said one fisherman, who asked not to be identified. “Hopefully they get it straightened out.”
He was referring to buyers who have placed their boats on quota based on how much product the processors can handle.
Glenn Adams, fishing with his son Chad, was thankful some of the catch was going over the scales. “Last year we couldn’t sell them at all,” he said, referring to a short-term glut. They had to take back a little over a pan of lobsters Wednesday.
Adams said they had their best week of the season last week and the crunch hit Monday when buyers started placing limits on product.
Another fisherman who asked not to be identified, said he was able to sell some of his catch, aware that was not the case for all East Coast lobster fishermen.
Knowing there was a 450-pound quota, he said he didn’t fish all of his gear Wednesday. He acknowledged that could soon create a backlog in the traps.
While his catch this week is surpassing his season’s best landings last week, he said this week’s quota restrictions will result in lower sales than last week.