UPDATE: Charlottetown woman pleads down in stabbing case

Ryan Ross rross@theguardian.pe.ca
Published on June 2, 2014

Scales of justice

A Charlottetown woman who stabbed her boyfriend with a kitchen knife won’t be facing an attempted murder charge after pleading guilty Monday to assault with a weapon.

Marlo Docherty appeared before Chief Judge John Douglas in provincial court in Charlottetown after previously pleading not guilty to attempted murder.

During a court appearance last month Docherty’s lawyer asked that she be able to enter a guilty plea to the lesser offence of assault with a weapon instead.

In March, Docherty stabbed her boyfriend in the chest while he slept in a Charlottetown apartment, and at the time the police said he was lucky because the knife struck bone, which kept it from doing serious damage.

She has been in custody since her arrest and on Monday she shuffled into the courtroom with her hands and feet handcuffed.

Crown attorney John McMillan said the investigation showed Docherty and the victim had been drinking before the stabbing and on May 7 she underwent a mental health assessment at the East Coast Forensic Hospital in Nova Scotia.

After considering Docherty’s request, McMillan consented to her plea to assault with a weapon saying that given her level of intoxication combined with other issues involved in the case he was satisfied he wouldn’t have been able to prove attempted murder.

Douglas accepted her guilty plea and found her not guilty of attempted murder, but didn’t set a date for sentencing after defence lawyer Thane MacEachern requested a pre-sentence report.

The case was adjourned until June 26 to get a better idea of how long it would take to get a pre-sentence report finished.

Docherty consented to remain in custody while the case is before the courts.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross