Charlottetown offers condolences to Moncton mayor

Charlottetown police officers worked as part of hostage negotiating team

Dave Stewart
Published on June 10, 2014

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson (right) hugs Const. Douglas Larche's daughter Alexa after presenting the slain RCMP officer's Stetson to widow Nadine (left) as her other daughters Lauren and Mia look on at a regimental funeral for the three slain officers in Moncton, N.B., Tuesday, June 10, 2014. 


Charlottetown Mayor Clifford Lee says the recent tragedy in Moncton has rocked the P.E.I. capital.

Lee said Monday night that he sent an email to Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc expressing the city’s condolences on the deaths of the three RCMP officers and offering to do anything it can to help.

“What they went through is a day you hope to never have to go through,” said Lee.

Lee said the fact the shooting happened in Moncton is a reminder that it can happen anywhere.

City council observed a moment of silence prior to its regular public monthly meeting on Monday.

Coun. David MacDonald, chairman of the committee that handles policing, said 24 members of the Charlottetown Police Services attended the RCMP regimental memorial at the Moncton Coliseum on Tuesday.

“When this happens to a police force or any kind of emergency service force it’s actually happening to one big family,’’ MacDonald said. “They all know that on any given day this could happen to them.’’

After the moment of silence Monday, Lee told Police Chief Paul Smith and Fire Chief Randy MacDonald to convey to their members that the community is very appreciative of the risks that they take.

“We tend to take it for granted what our first responders do for us,’’ the mayor said.

MacDonald said three members of Charlottetown Police Services went to Moncton as part of a massive manhunt for the shooter along with members of Summerside Police Services and the P.E.I. RCMP. Those three Charlottetown members were a part of a hostage negotiation team, in case one was required.

“The officers who did go over to Moncton were actually part of a provincial (response) team but we had offered the services of any of the regular police officers in the city if they needed them.’’

MacDonald said he and Smith have been in constant contact since the shooting took place last Wednesday evening.

He said the impact of what happened is almost too great to comprehend.

“It really brings it close . . . it’s not an easy thing.’’