Smoke and water damage businesses after fire in Stratford

Jim Day
Published on March 21, 2014

STRATFORD - A fire Friday morning in the Stratford Business Park is likely to result in smoke and water damage to several businesses, says the P.E.I. Fire Marshal.

Dave Rossiter said the fire started in the main level of Island Pure Water but spread to the second floor of the water bottling business.

Thick smoke billowed out of the business for more than one hour.

"It seems to be more of a heavy, smoldering type fire,'' Rossiter told The Guardian at the scene.

"They are having a job to get at's just a stubborn fire is what it is.''


Rossiter says three people were in the entire building that houses several businesses when the fire started. They all got out safely.

Daniel Cousins was one of those who fled the burning building.

Cousins, the owner of Alive Rental Studios that is next to Island Pure Water, called the fire in at about 11 a.m.

Crossroads Fire Department responded to the call with Vernon River providing mutual aid.

Cousins, who started operating his business in November, says he was just looking into getting insurance for the contents that he estimates are valued at about $40,000.

Rossiter anticipates water and smoke damage to at least some of the businesses in the building.

Other businesses in the building, located on Myrtle Street, include Island Self Storage, Concrete Form Rentals and Quinn & McNally Construction. There was also a mechanic shop.

The owner of the building declined comment.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.