Fire at Burger King in Charlottetown under investigation

Maureen Coulter comment@theguardian.pe.ca
Published on November 5, 2014
Charlottetown firefighters respond to a fire at Burger King on University Ave. Wednesday. The fire was reported around noon, with flames shooting through the roof. The fire was quickly knocked down, said the department.
THE GUARDIAN/Sarah Seeley

The Charlottetown Fire Department responded to a call at 12:35 p.m. of flames coming up through the roof at Burger King on University Avenue on Wednesday.

A grease fire had gone up through the exhaust, then into the roof. The fire in the kitchen was extinguished by the time the fire trucks arrived.

Employees had evacuated the building and firefighters had the flames in the cooking exhaust system extinguished within five minutes.

"We are just following up now to make sure there was no extension of the fire," said deputy fire chief Tim Mamye.

Mamye said there will be a cleanup done for the inside, not as a result of the fire but from the activation of the sprinkler system.

It was more of a housekeeping issue, said Mamye about the possible cause of the fire.