A delegation of 23 Atlantic Canadian seafood companies are heading to the 2014 Seafood Expo North America, taking place in Boston March 16-18.
The expo, formerly known as the International Boston Seafood Show, is the largest seafood trade event in North America, featuring more than 800 exhibitors and offering a vast array of seafood, seafood products, services and equipment from around the world. More than 19,000 buyers, suppliers, media and other seafood professionals from more than 100 countries attend the expo each year.
The Prince Edward Island Aquaculture Alliance is organizing Atlantic Canada's contingent this year, with support from the Government of Canada and the Atlantic provincial governments. In addition to significant funding from the four provincial governments and participating companies, funding of nearly $160,000 for the mission was provided through the Canada/Atlantic Provinces Agreement on International Business Development
Minster of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development Ron MacKinley, said, “The Boston seafood show provides Island seafood companies an international stage to promote their products, connect with existing customers, and develop new and expanded markets."
In 2013, Canada exported $4.4 billion worth of fish and seafood products. The Atlantic region accounts for more that 70 per cent of Canada’s total seafood exports. Atlantic Canada’s exports for 2013 totalled over $3.2 billion and 62 per cent of these exports were destined to the United States.
Atlantic Canadian companies and organizations attending Seafood Expo North America 2014 as part of the federal-provincial delegation:
Prince Edward Island
• Confederation Cove Mussels, Borden-Carleton, Prince Edward Island
• PEI Mussel King, Morell, Prince Edward Island
• Raspberry Point Oysters, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
• Royal Star Foods Ltd., Tignish, Prince Edward Island
• Bluenose Seafood Inc., Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Clearwater Seafoods Ltd. Partnership, Bedford, Nova Scotia
• Fisher King Seafoods Ltd., Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Louisbourg Seafoods Ltd., Louisbourg, Nova Scotia
• Lobster Council of Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Sea Star Seafoods Limited, Clark’s Harbour, Nova Scotia
• St. Mary's River Smokehouses, Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia
• United Trans Ltd., Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Little Shemogue Oyster Company, Little Shemogue, New Brunswick
• Michel et Charles LeBlanc Fisheries Ltd., Cap Pelé, New Brunswick
• Partner Seafood Inc., Shediac, New Brunswick
• Produits Belle Baie Ltée., Caraquet, New Brunswick
• Shediac Lobster Shop, Shediac, New Brunswick
• True North Salmon Company Ltd., Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick
• VIP Seafood, Shediac, New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
• Newfoundland Aquaculture Industry Association, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrado r
• Northern Harvest Sea Farms, Pool’s Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador
• Ocean Choice International, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
• Whitecap International Seafood Exporters, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador