Comments

Comments

• Evan
    June 21, 2010 - 20:42

So what exactly did you want her to say? Oh we're fine here, we don't want any new jobs or projects around here...? I doubt she called the Guardian up just to say these couple of comments... they obviously asked her for her comments. The last time I checked it's still not a crime to wonder ... And her last comment about announcements getting bigger was obviously meant as a joke... it even says she quipped ; look it up, it means a witty or sarcastic remark.
    There's nothing sickening or disgusting about any of these comments; if you're feeling sick go see a doctor!
    It's human nature to want, and any municipal leader would have said the same thing.

• Dick
    June 21, 2010 - 20:41

Mike....you must be from Charlottetown are you? Sour grapes that West Prince might finally get something from government?? Is this your way of trying to say that West Prince doesn't deserve the same things the rest of PEI have??
    Saying that the communities in West Prince don't get along is a crock!! All the communities in West Prince get along just fine and help each other out in any way they can. What Ms Wallace is saying is that its nice to see other communities in West Prince get something from government, either new businesses or money to upgrade old businesses or whatever and that she HOPES that O'Leary gets something new too. Its called wishful thinking....nothing more. The fact that the government robbed the people of O'Leary of their hospital SHOULD mean that they give something back in another form whether it be a correctional institute or more government offices or whatever.
    I find it funny how people from Charlottetown and Summerside complain and bash the rural areas of PEI whenever government tries to finally level the playing field a bit and give the people of West Prince or Kings County something new and positive.
    You're comments Mike....are disgusting...not Ms Wallace's

• Lynne
    June 21, 2010 - 20:32

Respongding to Mike. I don't understand how hoping for job opportunities and the expansion of the Holland College campus is a negative thing for Ms. Wallace to wish for. I love seeing government offices moving to Tignish. I think it's a great idea, and people from West Prince should be entitled to these jobs. It's about time they get the chance for government jobs in their own communities.

I also hope this is just the beginning and that these ideas continue. It's great to hear about the new Holland Collge campus in Alberton. I was very pleased when I heard this.

As for hoping the Premier cancels his plans, I can't see that happening. West Prince deserves to grow stronger, and allow its residents to remain in their rural communities.

• ?
    June 21, 2010 - 20:30

Do you really want all the Liberals moving to O'leary? After they open up the books on the PNP the Correctional Center will be full of them!

• Mike
    June 21, 2010 - 20:24

Didn't the Premier a few weeks put out a press release about the problems in West Prince are that they don't work together?

Didn't people from West prince scream bloody murder about what he said.

Well not being huge fan of Premier Ghiz's I can say I think he was dead right and Ms. Wallace's proves it by her comments.

Ms. Wallace obviously can not see the forest from the trees.

She can understand that announcements in her area can be also good for the whole area and not just her own town.

Ms. Wallace's comments are not only offensive but sickening and I can only hope that the people of O'leary fix a problem they created when they elected her.

I would hope that the Premier sees what she said and if he was working on something for O'leary he quickly cancels it.

These kinds of sickening comments are what helps to hurt an area...because someone else got something now she should get something.

Disgusting comments from an elected Official.

• sjj
    June 21, 2010 - 20:07

TO MR. BUTTKISS,' what did the ghiz government ever do for king's county ? I'AM not trying to insult you but i do know ghiz and his merry band of P.N.P PAL'S hate the people of king's county. i lived in king's county for years that's why i think i can say this without fault. look what burtram and ghiz did to murray river as soon as they got elected . i honestly think the whole bunch is so out of touch with the tax payer's of pei that it make's me sick . just try and get hold of an mla from king's county and you will see what i mean. also try to get hold of ghiz, he won't talk to the average tax payer just his rich pnp buddies and by the way from the people i have talked to around the island his pnp buddies will bring him down. now that's my pole. by the way i like a lot of your comment's.

• Blaine
    June 21, 2010 - 20:04

Mike from pei,did you even read the Article?Nancy said it was excellent for west prince and she was hoping for the Correctional Institution to come to O'Leary.If you found her comments offensive and sicking i suggest you see a shrink.

• Head Shaker
    June 21, 2010 - 20:02

I guess we can see who is from Charlottetown.

In a place where parents from Stratfort don't want to send kids to school in Charlottetown, and parents in Charlottetown who wold throw a major tantrum if it was suggested that they send kids to a school outside of Metro Charlottetown, I find it quite funny that a quick quip about maybe they might get something too would be considered disgusting.

PEI definitely has a class structure.

• Head Shaker
    June 21, 2010 - 19:48

Mike, so now you get a say in elections where you aren't even a voter?

• I Agree
    June 21, 2010 - 19:41

I agree, not comments one might expect from an elected official!

What does Western PEI want anyway? Why don't we just make Tignish, O'Leary or Alberton our Island Capitol and move everything there and build more? Then these citizens can pay our high taxes and we'll pay their's!

Why is it that from S'Side to the furthest Western Point what ever one gets someone else is whining they're being left out!! I'd expect that attitude with children and candy not adults!!

And I'm more than puzzled as just days ago our Finance Minister was stating his disappointment about our present $85 million defict and the Federal Decrease on this Budget being $26 million less!

Yet, the past week and a half our Premier has been announcing funding for Business Development, etc. etc. for Tignish and now 6 million for a West Prince Regional Training Centre in Alberton!

How can we be so poor and penniless, so disppointed, one minute and the next minute handing out milllions in funding??

Add to that 50 new school buses for ESD, 50,000 in kindergarten teacher salaries and today a new Senior's Housing Residence to replace Charlotte Court (which I FULLY AGEEE WITH and which should have taken priority over all other Projects long ago!)

But which is it? Are we in debt or not? If we are why is Government still spending like they won the Mega Lotto?

OH is there an election coming soon? Well don't be surprised when all this spending doesn't result in a vote for Red from me! Not going to happen! All the spending in view of an $85 million deficit is turning me Off not On!

And especially given we STILL DON'T HAVE ADEQUATE HEALTH CARE!

I'm Sorry I didn't mean to yell but I just haven't been able to get our Government's attention over the past three years using my normal tone!

• David
    June 21, 2010 - 19:41

I also find this women's comments to be tad odd.

Seeing how 2 communities around her have had announcements of major dollars being spent plus new people moving into the community.

Does O'leary live in a bubble?

Woulld major developments in surrounding commubnities not also benefit O'Leary?

The attitude of this local politician is exactly why there were two hospitals located within 15 minutes of each other.

This is a very small closed mind approach do economic development and an attitude which should not be tolerated.

If O'leary is such a great place than why can't Ms. Wallace go out and find some development for her own community or does she just sit back and complain?

• stating the obvious
    June 21, 2010 - 19:37

West Prince is a miniature imitation of PEI itself - a failed economy that exists only on government handouts.

You pull out all the Alberta and Ontario and Saskatchewan and BC equalization payments and force PEI to exist on its own economy and you'll see them go begging to become part of Nova Scotia so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

But as long as they can leach off a few other provinces, PEI is content to keep sucking our tax dollars to prop up a failed province.

And West Prince is an imitation of this phenomenon within PEI.

Give me, give me, give me. Government must always pay. I can never do it on my own.... pathetic.