Thieves break into Kensington homes as residents sleep

Staff ~ Transcontinental Media

KENSINGTON - While the residents inside were sleeping, thieves broke into two Kensington homes overnight on Sunday.

Police are currently investigating the brazen break, enter and thefts, which occurred on Centennial Drive. In each, substantial amounts of money were taken.

Chief Lewie Sutherland said police were called in to investigate just after 7 this morning. He added the homes weren't locked when the break-ins occurred.

"This is certainly not a usual occurrence," added Sutherland. "Most residential house breaks take place while the home owners are away."

Police are encouraging residents to lock their vehicles and homes to prevent these types of crimes from happening.

Anyone with information on these crimes or who may have seen a suspicious vehicle or individuals in the area overnight are asked to immediately contact Kensington police at 836-4499 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Organizations: Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Kensington

Comments

Comments

• SG
    June 21, 2010 - 20:27

I agree with Speedy. The Doors weren't Locked!! Anyone who goes to bed today and leaves their door unlocked need to get with the TIMES! What are they thinking? I have my doors locked during the day!! I'd never go out or go to bed and leave my doors unlocked!!! JESSH I can't believe anyone would actually do that today at any time! Even when my husband is home I make sure the doors are locked.

Day or night as soon as I get in my car and shut the door I press the lock button! And as soon I get out I use the automatic lock! I'm a female but no one should take safety for granted today! And especially during this Season!

• Steve
    June 21, 2010 - 20:20

...what goes around comes around, and these thieves will get theirs in life...

• Patrick
    June 21, 2010 - 20:13

Drugs. And why bother looking for them. If you get them to court it'd be probation, in other words nothing because Probation Services is completely overworked. If you're on probation in PEI you pretty much have free rein to do anything. And if you do re-offend you end up getting another slap on the wrist. Even if you get jail time it's a friggin joke, the Sleepy Hollow Social Club. People in PEI have no clue how easy the criminal element has it. You have better access to services in this province as a criminal then as a law abiding citizen. Sickening.

• Here Here!!!
    June 21, 2010 - 20:12

I TOTALLY agree with 'About Time from Prince Edward Island' !!! .. Slap their mugs on the front page for ALL to see - at least give the public a chance to see what/who they are up against!! (It's a tough job trying to protect yourself from boxing gloves when you're blindfolded!)
    ..and to catch a glimpse of them running out your door(if ur lucky)doesn't give you a snowball chance in H*** to get your belongings back or to have them charged Geez!! By the way- fingerprinting for these 'small' B & E's and B E &T's ..is only something you see on TV...

• Another
    June 21, 2010 - 20:01

How horrible this close to Christmas! Do people not have a concious anymore??? To break into someone's home when they are sleeping in there beds is completely despicable!

• grammarsucks
    June 21, 2010 - 19:58

that would be conscience not conscious as in awake! They also sleep in their beds not there beds

• speedy
    June 21, 2010 - 19:55

Are you kidding? the doors were not locked????

• JustMe
    June 21, 2010 - 19:44

To Speedy I know you feel in this day and age that everyone locks their doors at night but unfortunatly you would probably be surprised at the number of people who don't. Reminder to everyone else though that this is the time of year where we have real live grinches out there who will try getting into your home to take your wrapped presents from under the tree. Hopeing to find something valuable. It's disgusting as far as I'm concerned but it is also a real threat. Be safe and Merry Christmas!

• MiChelle
    June 21, 2010 - 19:42

SORRY-But in 2009-2010 anyone who doesn't LOCK their DOORS at night gets NO sympathy from me.
    To bad they learned the hard way.
    Sure hope the Other (Lax-out of touch with Today's REALITY) Learn a valuable lesson from This.
    like duh...LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS And LOCK YOUR DOORS TO YOUR HOMES

SG- You're absolutley correct, NoOne should take safety for granted today!

SMARTEN-UP...OR...GET RIPPED OFF Or worse end up harmed. Common Sense- Smarten-up!

• About Time
    June 21, 2010 - 19:39

I think it is time for the media (newspaper and TV) to start showing the perpetrators. I don't mean them heading into or out of the court house with a jacket over their head either. This way, we can see who is doing this crap, and maybe it will make it easier for witnesses to identify who was in the area.