Birt, hockey Islanders part ways

Jason Malloy

Trent Birt

Trent Birt is no longer with the Charlottetown Islanders hockey club.

The vice-president of operations’ last day was Friday following a restructuring of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team.

“I was obviously disappointed,” Birt told The Guardian on Tuesday. “I had a vision and a passion and spent a lot of time in the last three years getting us to where we wanted to get to, but business is business. They made the decision they thought was best for the team.”

Dave Trainor, chairman of the Islanders’ board, said it conducted a review after the first season under the new ownership group. The board has been reduced from 22 members to nine and it is in the process of hiring a president to report directly to the board.

“We evaluated what our need was and went out and tried to select the candidates that match that need,” Trainor said, noting Birt was able to apply for the position.

Trainor said it hopes to have the president in place in the coming days.

Birt was with the P.E.I. Rocket for two years prior to the name and ownership changes. He was one of the visible faces working to bring business people together to keep the team on the Island after the Savard family announced a year ago it had a deal in place to sell the franchise.

“I was proud of the work that I put in and the direction we were moving in,” Birt said.

Trainor said it was a tough decision as Birt “had a ton of passion” for the job.

A teacher at Colonel Gray High School, Birt took a two-year leave to join the Rocket. He opted to stay with the team after the leave ended.

“I always wanted to get into the operational side of business and got my feet wet in there and enjoyed every second of the last three years. That’s the avenue I am going to pursue right now.”

Organizations: Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Colonel Gray High School

Comments

Comments

• Rocket Launcher
    June 09, 2014 - 06:38

If Trent Birt was as good at the position as so many felt he was, it should have translated into more people in the seats. It didn't. Sometimes you are only given a limited time to make a difference, in this case I felt there was nothing to encourage me to attend any more games this past year as I attended years previously. You are pricing yourself out of the market. The economy won't allow for the inflated pricing.

• Corn
    June 08, 2014 - 09:50

I agree with Gp's comments On how they tried to get rid of him last year couldn't believe that especially when the year didn't even start well I guess they got there wish and made there big move so alittle advice to the new president just remember your job is never safe especially around this group or a select few.

• Jackofalltrades
      June 08, 2014 - 15:33

These owners bought a business and have every right to make personnel changes to suit their business model like any other business owner. Perhaps take into consideration that something may have happened behind the scenes for them to take this action.

• Gp
    June 07, 2014 - 20:40

They wanted to get rid of him last year but it would have looked even worse as Trent made it seem that he saved the team. There were several others that saved the team but Trent took the credit. He was never right for this position and lucky to be there that long. Nice person but not for that position.

• Bill MacIntyre
    June 07, 2014 - 14:37

There is no loyalty these days. Trent did an incredible job for this team but looks like management wants to bring in his buddy now that all the hard work has been done. Good luck in the future Trent. I am sure another team or business can benefit from your skills. As far as the hockey team is concerned, Mr.Trainor I hope you never win a playoff series.

• Hockey Fan
      June 08, 2014 - 11:21

Hoping the team never wins another playoff series.......yup no loyalty there

• Don Murnaghan
    June 04, 2014 - 12:07

Don : very disappointed to hear that Trent was released of his position with the Islanders. He worked very hard to make the Rocket / Islanders a success both on and off the ice and without his efforts Charlottetown probably would have lost their QMJHL franchise. Best of luck Trent !

• Season Ticket Holder
    June 04, 2014 - 10:51

Wow! what a slap in the face of an employee who worked so hard to keep the game in Charlottetown, I wish you all the best Trent. Disappointing....

• Rocket Fan
    June 04, 2014 - 08:43

Never was a fan of changing things around with this team I still refer to them as the Rocket. Birt is by far the man for the job. His passion is higher then anyone else on this island for the team and the young players. He even left a successful teaching career to put everything he had into this job. It's not his fault numbers are low at the games, it's the facility, until we get a state of the art centre the Covic centre will always be "just a rink". Hope Birt finds a new team and success, I'm sure there are teams out there that need a man like him since the islanders are making a big mistake here.

• jt
    June 04, 2014 - 07:55

thanks for all your hard work Trent!

• jt
    June 04, 2014 - 06:37

Terrible move trent was great.

• Hockey blog man
    June 04, 2014 - 04:51

I would like to say kudos to Trent Birt this guy did put a lot of effort and time into this team and I think if it wasn't for him finding the new owners this team wouldn't be here today. I personally think the organization made a mistake for the so called reposting of the position if this man had the drive and passion why get someone else.

• reality
      June 04, 2014 - 11:05

hockey is politics -rotten to the core