Charlottetown Islanders unveiled at news conference

Island QMJHL team transformed from P.E.I. Rocket

Trent Birt, left, and Geoff Boyle unveil the new Charlottetown Islanders logo as Mayor Clifford Lee looks on.

The P.E.I. Rocket is no more in more ways than one.

Say hello to the snazzy new Charlottetown Islanders.

New team colours, name and logo of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team were unveiled Monday in Charlottetown.

The colours are roughly similar to the gold, black and white of NFL's New Orleans Saints and the logo features the Confederation Bridge. The Islanders name reaches into the 1960s and 70s when the Junior Islanders were barn-burning their way through major junior hockey.

And Geoff Boyle, one of the new owners representing the ownership group, was more than pleased with the team's steps toward the 2013-14 season and its nod to former days.

"I've been a hockey fan in Charlottetown (for years and have) proud and fond memories of Island teams of the past," Boyle said. "I can't wait for the opportunity for this team and our group to put out stamp in Island hockey history."

New members to the ownership group were also unveiled. They include Peter MacDonald of MacDonald Automotive Group, Jason Hunter, Ron MacAulay, Ron Murray and Steve Gauthier of Markan Hardwood, and Cyril, Jeff and Craig Chapman of Chapman Brothers Construction.

It brings the group to 16 members. A management structure is still being worked out.

The group, which purchased the team from Serge Savard and Serge Savard Jr., takes ownership June 1.

The season ticket campaign also began and highlights include no price increase from last season (early bird $440, regular price after July 15 is $475), a $99 youth season ticket price and a flex package that allows purchasers to build a customized package of games.

Jerseys will be revealed at an event sponsored by the team on June 15, although glimpses should be available when the team selects its picks at the 2013 QMJHL draft June 8 in Chicoutimi, Que.

Islanders merchandise is available at Source For Sports locations.

The new website is found at www.charlottetownislanders.com.

Organizations: Charlottetown Civic Centre

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Comments

Comments

• paula ramsay
    June 06, 2013 - 10:23

I see nothing wrong with this logo,I like it!There is toori much complaining.People complain about the rink,they complain about the logo,complain about the parking.If you love the game then go out and support it! I am from Summerside,and I will support the Caps like I have for many years and for as long as they are here! Charlottetown fans should do the same for their Islanders.And both cities should stop insulting each others teams and get on with the Game!I Go Islanders and Go Caps!!

• ETHAN ALLAN
      July 18, 2013 - 17:01

Can this Prime Minister sink any lower? Just look back at President Nixon and see what happened to him for having the same agenda. It's time to get rid of this bible thumper and his zealots. No Tea Party in Canada!

• UPWESTER
      July 18, 2013 - 16:45

Paula...That's the worst hockey logo I have ever seen.lt says absolutely nothing, means absolutely nothing and my guess is that it will be changed before a year is out.Take a look at other logos and you will see what I mean. The chances of anyone purchasing these sweaters are slim and none.A fatal marketing mistake.And you wonder why Island teams have trouble selling themselves.

• Kevin
      August 11, 2013 - 20:26

I am from Ontario, saw the logo and colours when I was visiting PEI in July. Thought the design and colours are great. Well done and I will cheer for the Islanders from Kingston! I did bring a new Islanders hat home and wear it with pride. Go Islanders and Frontenacs!

• Tony Toni Tone
    May 28, 2013 - 21:14

Maybe your team could have moved. If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to complain about the logo at all, and then where would you be? Sincerely: fans in Lewiston, St. John's, Laval and Granby.

• hockey fan
    May 27, 2013 - 21:21

Wow. The logo disappointing. Where is the signature "rust red" of our Island clay? And the bridge is lame, a silhouette of the shape of the Island would be more appropriate.

• Just a thought
    May 27, 2013 - 19:13

The gold in this logo just doesn't seem right. It would be more appropriate to have brick red with the black and white. Pretty easy to change.

• Hockey fan
    May 27, 2013 - 19:12

It's not bad! But I was really hoping for a logo/jersey that would hit a chord and the confed bridge just doesn't, but until the full uniform is unveiled it's hard to get the full picture. Super pumped that this group stepped up and kept the team here ill be therefor the first puck drop no matter what the colors!!!

• Craig Cooper
    May 27, 2013 - 18:27

Love it! Go Islanders! Great Job everyone... the boys are going to look sharp in 2013-2014. Something to be proud of!

• John E
    May 27, 2013 - 17:31

Great logo, much better than the old one.. Just got to put fans in the stands now.

• islander
    May 27, 2013 - 15:38

Very ugly and boring logo! Very disappointed!

• James
    May 27, 2013 - 13:27

Are people colour blind, or can they not see the black, white, and gold? Those are prestigious colous if you ask me. Nobody in the CHL, that I can think of, uses those colours. The only thing I'm hoping to avoid seeing, is using the Pittsburgh Penguins pipping for the jersey. But I'm assuming it will be, cause I can only imagine it saves cost. But it would be really nice if they'd go out of their way and do different style pipping for the jersey.

• Aaron
      May 28, 2013 - 13:07

Nobody in the CHL uses black, white and gold huh? I can give you a list of teams in this league that wear those colours... Kingston Frontenacs Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Victoriaville Tigres Brandon Wheat Kings

• disgusted
    May 27, 2013 - 13:27

when you are promoting the name Islanders why would you use confederation bridge?How much are they paying for that advertisement?Why not the dunes on our north shore or something that holds referance to an island? Not a very good choice!

• JL
      May 27, 2013 - 18:25

Are you serious? The bridge is one of PEI's biggest landmarks. Nothing wrong with that. And it'd be pretty hard to turn sand dunes into a logo.

• huh
      May 30, 2013 - 16:56

Advertisement? As if someone is going to choose traveling the Confederation Bridge because it was on a hockey jersey.......

• DisappointedReader
    May 27, 2013 - 13:20

People! This logo is awesome! On the other hand, people need to stop worrying about the logo and jersey! I think the most important issue at hand revolves around putting a tough, gritty, highly skilled team on the ice (so they can put people in the seats!), NOT if their jersey matches there pants, or if their jersey has an island or a bridge on it!... I really do not care what they wear as long as they WIN!

• Barry
    May 27, 2013 - 13:12

What did people want on the logo someone with an EI Cheque in their hand

• Walt
    May 27, 2013 - 12:46

I realize that it is a free society......But can anyone please tell me why some people are so negetive when commenting on this story and others regarding the Rocket ie Charlottetown Islanders. The fact that local buyers decided to step forward to keep the team on the Island is nothing but a good news story. This is a good form of entertainment and we should be grateful, that the team is staying here. I have been a season ticket holder since day one and will be again this year.

• JL
    May 27, 2013 - 12:25

I love the logo. Not a big fan of the colours (especially since it opens the door to having Pittsburgh jerseys, which would be horrible), although the gold does look great on the logo. I just hope the jerseys are good, and not the cookie cutter Reebok Edge crap so many teams wear now.

• ILS
    May 27, 2013 - 11:57

In light of recent events, perhaps we could revive the old PEI Senators name, except we would drop the "s", thus turning the PEI Senators into the PEI Senator. Then the logo could be a nice big mugshot of Mike Duffy.

• Susan
    May 27, 2013 - 10:58

To the new owners of our QMJHL Hockey Team THANK YOU I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years can't wait for number 11 please don't listen to the negative, those of us who love the game will be at the rink. the rest will post negative comments.(losers). Name and Color...are not as important as the game.

• Justin
    May 27, 2013 - 10:46

Really... everyone commenting "What colours" "horrible logo" etc. They just announced the team today! Don't expect them to have full colour prints right away! and if you don't like the logo design, then you should have submitted a design yourself. People work hard on these designs and put great effort in them. I really like the logo, I'm excited to see the jerseys too. I suggest if you don't like the design or the colours or the name, tough luck. Join the committee that does all this whenever theres a new team coming.

• Pocket Rocket
    May 27, 2013 - 10:44

I will be cheering on the Charlottetown Islanders regardless of uniform, as for all the negative comments, some have merit, others don't. I personally like the logo but the colors are not the best. Of course there's always time to change the colors. Maybe these will be for the away jerseys? Add a little more beauty to the logo that will represent our beautiful Island.

• Jack
      May 27, 2013 - 11:30

The voice of reason.

• Andrew
      May 27, 2013 - 17:28

Well said Pocket Rocket-kudos!

• fellow islander
    May 27, 2013 - 10:22

what a boring logo. I could see it being a good logo if we were called the Charlottetown bridges but I mean come on some creativity would be nice! and some colour. this would be ok for a shoulder crest but not for the main logo

• Steve
    May 27, 2013 - 10:05

Yeesh. They must have gone to the cheapest graphic designer they could find. Dreadful.

• Excited
    May 27, 2013 - 10:00

Here we go the negativity from people that don't have a clue, can't keep everybody happy, but excellent choice , I will attend games not because of colors of logo or the name I go for the hockey, it's a safe good name, now lets move on and stop complaining!!

• PIET HEIN
    May 27, 2013 - 09:58

I must apologize. I posted a snarky response to STATINGTHEOBVI0US but then realized it was probably too subtle for a clown like him to understand so I will explain it to him. I meant his comment lacked creativity.

• UPWESTER
      July 18, 2013 - 16:48

So did yours!

• Amazed
    May 27, 2013 - 09:52

STATINGTHEOBVIOUS.....Congrats you are the first one to make a negative comment on this announcement....I'm sure there will be lots more negativity to come. Go Charlottetown Islanders Go...

• ColourBlind
    May 27, 2013 - 09:47

"Rocket has a new name, new colours..." Colours?! What colours? Just terrible.

• statingtheobvious
    May 27, 2013 - 09:41

now there is a major midget hockey team, a senior baseball team, and a QMJHL team all with same same team name... creativity is obviously in short supply

• Piet Hein
      May 27, 2013 - 09:54

STATINGTHEOBVIOUS, Kind of like your comment.