Gormley narrowly avoids serious injury

Marcel Vander Wier
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Brandon Gormley

Murray River's Brandon Gormley is counting his lucky stars after a scary on-ice incident saw him rushed to a Shawinigan hospital when he was cut in the throat by a skate Saturday night.

The freak injury occurred in the final moments of the Cataractes' Quebec Major Junior Hockey League home game versus the league-leading Saint John Sea Dogs.

With Saint John leading 2-1 and Shawinigan goalie Gabriel Girard pulled for the extra attacker, Gormley dove to knock the puck away from Sea Dogs' star Charlie Coyle.

In the process, the heel of Coyle's skate came up and struck him in the throat.

The skate just missed Gormley's jugular, leaving a two-and-a-half inch cut on the left side of his neck.

"I knew I was cut," Gormley told The Guardian. "I took off my glove and put pressure on it right away."

He immediately skated to the Cataractes' bench, where he received aid from team personnel before being rushed to a local hospital by ambulance.

"They kind of panicked more than I did," the 19-year-old said of the team's medical staff. "It was pretty scary. I didn't know the severity of it. But every nurse and doctor had a disgusted look on their face. They were all saying how lucky I was."

Gormley was wearing a neck guard.

The bleeding stopped prior to his arrival at the hospital, where he ended up waiting six hours, due to a multitude of emergency incidents.

Gormley eventually received two stitches.

The highly-billed matchup between the league's top two clubs ended with Saint John winning by a score of 2-1.

"He's a lucky boy," Gormley's mother, Sharon, said Sunday evening in Prince Edward Island.

As usual, she and husband Darren were spending the night watching their son's game through an internet webcast.

When the incident initially occurred, they did not realize how serious their son's injury was.

"The play happened so quick on the camera," Sharon Gormley said. "We had no idea he was hurt like that."

Cataractes' assistant GM Roger Shannon was quick to call the Gormleys and fill them in. He kept them updated throughout the process.

"It certainly was very frightening," Sharon Gormley said. "It's not a nice feeling, but we were confident everything was O.K."

Brandon Gormley called his parents when he was released from the hospital at approximately 3 a.m. AT.

The young Islander said he was thankful for all of the encouraging messages he has received from concerned friends.

Gormley was flooded with text messages and emails of support.

The throat injury wasn't the only wound he suffered in the loss.

Gormley also bruised his left foot on an early collision that saw him slide feet-first into the boards.

"It was a rough game," he admitted. "I know I'm pretty fortunate."

He hopes to suit up for Shawinigan's next game, at home Wednesday night versus the Acadie-Bathurst Titan.

Cataractes' forward Kirill Kabanov was also injured in Saturday's game, suffering a concussion.




Geographic location: Murray River, Shawinigan

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Gormley's cousin
    February 10, 2012 - 09:46

    the Samo ole same ole- give it up, he's my cousin, and even though he only needed two stitches, he is only 19, he will be 20 on valentines day! he's too young to lose his life, Thank god that he is alright, or PEI would have lost a great young hockey player and an idol to most people here who appreciate what he has to offer. make a comment like that again, and there will be war, just because he only need the 2 doesn't mean that a veracious infection can still come across and lose his life. be careful what you say, there are family reading this, especially me who looks out and supports what he does.

    February 07, 2012 - 10:34

    i am very fortunate that my cousin is alright. he is a very talented young man. and even though he needed 2 stitches, he was also inches away from losing his life.

  • Isaac
    February 06, 2012 - 20:39

    OMG i am so glad he is OK, it would be a shame to lose such an amazing athlete

  • Same ole same ole
    February 06, 2012 - 12:12

    I am very glad to hear that he is ok, that is the main thing however to hear that he had to wait 6 hours for treatment, well that is still ridiculous. The Govn'ts of the day need to take a more serious look at wait times in emerge....

    • to same ole same ole
      February 06, 2012 - 16:07

      Perhaps he should have been looked at before someone with a heart attack or some other life threatening injury! He required two stitches hardly an emergency. So your problem with this is what????

  • oceannapei
    February 06, 2012 - 09:08

    Such a scary thing to happen. Very glad to hear that he is alright.

  • Resident Kane
    February 05, 2012 - 18:45

    Yikes, hope he gets better soon. He has high potential in the draft and if he gets picked early he will have a shot at the NHL without seeing any more Junior or the AHL. Scary when this happens. Are neck guards not mandatory in Juniors or did it just not work? Just curious because if it isn't mandated, possible something to consider. A puck to the throat can be lethal also so it's not just the odd chance of a skate.

    • ch'town res
      February 06, 2012 - 09:07

      Resident Kane, Yes neck guards are mandatory, and he was wearing one. He has already been drafted two years ago by the Phoenix Coyotes.

    • Pete
      February 06, 2012 - 09:25

      Resident Kane: Gormley was drafted in 2010 (2 drafts ago); 13th by Phoenix