Island team looking to defend golf championship

Jason Malloy

Team P.E.I. will be looking to defend its Mel Murray Maritime Cup this weekend in New Brunswick.

Twelve-member teams representing each of the four Atlantic provinces will play a two-day Ryder Cup format tournament Saturday and Sunday at the St. Andrews Golf Course. The Island squad won the past three championships at the Mill River Golf Course.

“We’re very proud of that,” said captain Tim Yorke. “Not many P.E.I. teams have beat the best teams in the Maritimes three years in a row.”

Newfoundland and Labrador are joining the tournament this year.

“It’s very prestigious tournament to play in,” Yorke said, noting players start inquiring about it early in the spring.

This year’s team includes Yorke, John Schurman, Martin O’Brien, Matt Wood, Rich Little, Dave Shellington, Cody Mackay, Scott Morten, Grant Somers, Nick Arsenaut, Steve Gamester and Kyle Fraser. The top eight golfers from the summer qualify for the team with the remaining four spots being selected by the captain. Burgoyne insurance and Canadian Tire in Summerside are the team’s sponsors.

The golfers will also play an individual competition on Friday.

Organizations: Canadian Tire

Geographic location: New Brunswick.Twelve, Newfoundland and Labrador, Summerside

Comments

Comments

• tim yorke
    September 24, 2012 - 18:57

You should know what your saying first, ron garrett no question but hard when he's in europe and he is asked every year, jeff mace never plays and wont. kevin crozier couldn't play at wedding, greg mac in university, robbie is worthy but did not have time to play tourny's, jeremy is worthy but same no tourny's, As for five other belv players have a look at our tourny's only a few support them or are able to play. I would love to see more belvedere players at tourny's . The tournament is based on points and 4 captains picks and also suitability . And if you set it up happy I am sure my guys will play anyone you bring, considering except for greg mac who would be on it, every tournament on pei has been one by one of our players and if there's someone I don;t know please set it up I will gladly play them, thanks TIM YORKE

• Happy Gilmore
    September 21, 2012 - 13:41

No not talking about Warren.but I am pretty sure I could put together a team that could beat this team in the ryder cup format. 10th place in the Island Amateur Championship was a total of 155, only 9 over par. I believe it was ruined when they changed the format for selecting the teams for the National Championships. It is only rewarding the guys who can play 5 or 6 weekends, not getting the best golfers. There's definitely some good golfers who deserve to be here, that's for sure. Minus the players that are on this team my team would be in no particular order Ron Garrett Anthony Warren Kevin Crozier Robbie Younker Jeff MacEachern Jeremy Stevenson Greg MacAuley That is without doing any research. I am sure I could go into Belvedere and find 5 more that would take this team down. No disrespect to the players that are on this team as they have qualified and deserve to be there but I don't think the PEIGA is doing a good job of getting the best players playing in their events.

• Dale Kinnie
      September 25, 2012 - 15:53

Happy, you should know that players picked for an event will be the best golfers, when your format rewards good play for many events, & not just one or two. You won't get any one hit wonders with your current PEIGA format. We should adopt this format in N.B.

• Chubbs
    September 20, 2012 - 08:45

Happy, Which golfers are you looking for? If you say Warren you've been stuck in the woods looking for your ball for too long. Your 5 minutes is up. I think your playing the wrong hole on this one.

• Happy Gilmore
    September 20, 2012 - 06:36

Wow, where are all the players? Competitive golf on the Island has certainly taken a turn for the worse. What is going on?

• IslandGolf
      September 20, 2012 - 08:21

Which players are you looking for Happy? These are the best players in the island this year, and have proven it all year long. Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean anything. I would like to hear why you think competitive golf on the island has taken a turn for the worse. I'm guessing you didn't play in any events this year where under par golf was the only way to win. Seems to be getting tougher to win every year, meaning more competitive. Thats a DOUBLE BOGEY happy for speaking without knowing much.

• confused
      September 20, 2012 - 08:44

What do you mean "Where are all the players?"