On filing income tax

Letters to the Editor (The Guardian)
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.


I would like to address concerns raised in a recent series of articles regarding T1 income tax forms. I’m afraid there may be confusion about recent changes at the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and I would like an opportunity to clear things up.

As some Islanders know, in previous years, the CRA would automatically send T1 forms through the mail. As I have said before, a large number of people did not make use of these forms and this led to a great deal of waste. This year, CRA will  no longer automatically mail out the forms. However, Canadians can still file their income tax using paper forms. Canadians affected by this change received a personalized letter in mid-January. These forms are available at Canada Post outlets, Service Canada centres, and on the CRA website. I understand that some Canadians are not comfortable using the Internet or cannot pick them up in person. Therefore,forms will also be sent by mail to those who request them by calling 1-800-959-8281.

As minister of national revenue, I want to ensure that services continue to be available to all Canadians, including seniors. CRA continues to offer a number of services to seniors, including publications in alternate formats and specialized guides. Lower income people can also benefit from free tax preparation clinics and free tax preparationsoftware.

CRA does encourage Canadians to file online. However, I fully understand that some Canadians are not comfortabledoing so and I will ensure services continue to be available to accommodatethem.

Gail Shea,

minister of national revenue

Organizations: Canada Revenue Agency, Canada Post, Service Canada

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page