Please don’t park in disabled spaces

Editor; I was asked by a senior who uses the disabled parking spaces, in all areas of P.E.I., to remind people that their permits were supposed to be renewed at the end of 2013. Though reminders were mailed out, many people did not receive them. This senior did not get the reminder in the mail about renewing her permit. She thought her permit did not expire until the end of March 2014.

She also complained that many of the permits she checked on cars in the parking lot were outdated as far back as 2012. Tickets are being given to people with outdated permits in store parking lots. The fine in Summerside is $25. She wanted to remind people to renew their disabled parking permits.

The other major problem was that young, healthy people park in the disabled parking spaces. Some young girls justified it by saying they would be just a few minutes in the store. That attitude adds to the suffering of people who have physical difficulties, walk with canes, walkers or depend on wheelchairs. She asked that physically healthy people stop using the disabled parking spots.

Flora Thompson,

Charlottetown

Geographic location: Summerside, Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Caretaker
    February 17, 2014 - 15:21

Sometimes I see people parking there because they have elderly people in their care. I don't mind in those situations. We need to respect the needs of our elderly citizens as well as those who care for them.

• intobed
      February 18, 2014 - 14:00

If the senior is "... unable to walk more than 75 meters without serious difficulty or danger to safety or health... " this should be verified by a doctor, and a disabled tag applied for. The tag for the car is $18 a year. It will enable a person transporting the senior to use the handicapped parking space if the senior will be getting out of the vehicle.

• Not disabled
    February 17, 2014 - 06:06

I have read some comments on here some good and some bad, with the bad I meant the able body people who thinks the disabled parking is for them.I'm a healthy younger male and it makes my blood boil when I see someone pull into a disabled parking spot then gets out and they are as healthy as I am with their disabled tag on the mirror,it leaves me wondering if this person is someone who is too lazy to walk and to hold a job and who is just milking the system I watch for this kind of people all the time,I'm going to make it my business when I see someone taking a disabled parking when they are healthy to walk a great distance...Those disabled parking lanes were put there for a reason,so think twice and look around to see who is watching you a healthy person taking a parking space for a disabled person,show some respect for our disabled people.

• justin
    February 16, 2014 - 20:48

Have less handicap spots and put them in the middle of parking lots or at end of a block. If the spots were not always stuck in the front of the doors then able bodied people would not feel so willing to use them, Seems like though the best parking spots and the ones closest to the door are ALWAYS for the handicapped . Why should they have the best parking spots and moist times they don't even have to pay a meter while the rest of us pay the meters and most times end up with tickets anyways. If they (the handicap crowd) don't want other people using their precious parking spots then stop demanding all the best and closest parking spots,

• For Real?
      February 17, 2014 - 07:04

Justin, why do you think these spots exist? Your suggestion would see 80 year old people in wheelchairs struggle for long distances through rain and wind, while able bodied, strong, young men like yourself leap across the puddles, lickity split, into the doorway so you don't get a sprinkle on your hairdo.

• Ernest Benoit
    February 16, 2014 - 05:46

If only parking were the more serious issue that motorists have in PEI! I've lived here for 4 years now and have had everything from drunk dummies trying to run into me to being ignored at a crosswalk. If you want to discuss more serious issues how about people on cells phones while driving and stop lights and stop signs being ignored. And by the way, other motorists know that you are on the phone while driving when you are constantly looking down, then back up...idiots! I guess more people will have to die before bad drivers use their brain. And yes!...if you're not pregnant or do not have a disability stay the hell out of those spots no matter how far you must walk. "I will only be a minute is the lazy person's excuse.

• Justin
    February 15, 2014 - 15:16

There are far to many of these spots. Some places have 2-4 in front of the store. If they limited the number of these spots then people would use them less. First it was handicap spots, spots for mothers with babies it is getting to the point that able bodied people are expected to not bother driving at all because soon there will there will now places for the us to park. For years we listened to the handicap people talking they want to be part of the so called normal crowd and not be treated any differently then the able bodied people. Well parking down the street or the back of the parking lots is now what the able bodied people have to do because the disabled people who want to be treated the same but yet want special parking spaces and all close to the door.

• intobed
      February 15, 2014 - 17:00

Then walk from that farther parking space, and be thankful every day that you still can.

• mark
      February 16, 2014 - 08:51

Sounds like someone is really lazy and likes parking wherever he wants and cares for no one else but himself. I hope you or your family never have to use one of these spaces in the future. Your attitude might be different. Your comment will then change to "there aren't enough spaces".

• Stew
      February 16, 2014 - 15:00

Are you for real Justin? Wow...I'm shocked that in this day and age there are still people with such an entitled attitude. I formerly worked in a large rehab centre with patients who would have given anything to park at the back of the parking lot and walk to the door.

• cromwell
    February 15, 2014 - 06:52

On too many occasions, I have seen cars displaying disabled permits park in disabled parking, yet the person exiting the vehicle if fit and well. When challenged, the response has been 'it's my parent's car'. To my mind, anyone parking in disabled parking must have a disabled person in the vehicle. However, disabled parking will continue to be abused if those in charge of the parking lots do not enforce the regulations. Don't get me started on 'expectant mothers' parking - this is also badly abused, and mostly by younger women who show no indications of being pregnant,

• Ann
    February 14, 2014 - 22:05

My husband was in a wheelchair for the last year of his life, I know first hand the ignorance of some drivers. One instance still sticks out in my mind, we parked in the disabled spot at Sobeys on Allen St, I got the wheelchair out of the side of the van opened passenger door full open and helped my paralyzed husband into his chair, when we got back out, it was raining hard, someone parked outside the disabled spot, ( no permit) I had to leave my husband in his wheel chair in the rain, back my van out far enough that I had clearance to open the passenger door wide open, so I could get him back in, he was wet, and felt bad, and I was exhausted, this happened too many times . I complained to Sobeys head office, to local manager, nothing was done, I have not shopped in Allen st store since, SHAME SHAME ON ANYONE who would do that.

• KJM
      February 15, 2014 - 07:30

I see this all the time and it drives me up the wall! No Frills is another parking lot where this is a problem. The police won't enforce anything because, to my knowledge, a parking lot is considered private property. The store itself won't do anything because, according to a grocery store employee who told me this, it looks bad on their part. After all, you don't want scare lazy, inconsiderate customers away! It's gotten to the point where I snap a picture of the offender's vehicle and post it on the internet. I'm not driving when I do it either!

• Amy
    February 14, 2014 - 15:35

It's a shame that this even needs to be said! I see so many healthy people parking in disabled spots... There's a reason those spots are there! I wish a few days a month the police would go around to stores and hand out more tickets. If breaks my heart to see someone with a physical disability having to park far back from a store because the spots designated for them are full of cars without permits. The same goes for expecting/parents with small children parking spots. During the last trimester of pregnancy, and early on in an infants life it is very difficult to get in and out of stores... These spots are designed to help out the people who need them, not lazy people who just don't feel like walking. Have some respect! I wish these laws were enforced more.

• don
    February 14, 2014 - 14:01

the fines should be starting at $100.00 plus your car being towed. plus if you get a ticket have you strapped into a wheelchair and forced to park at the very corn of the lot and made go into the store in the rain and see if you will park in that space again?

• surprised
    February 14, 2014 - 10:39

One day when I was driving with my very pregnant wife and our three children I was about to pull into a designated spot for expectant mothers and was cut off by someone with a handicap tag on their car. There were four other spaces nearby for handicap (none as close though) but this person took the last one left for mothers. The very able bodied person walked into WalMart and I was very tempted to approach them and ask why they had the pass in the first place and why if people are expected to not park in their spots why would they park in the mothers spot.