Duffy claims to live in Charlottetown too

Shane Ross

Senator Mike Duffy waits at the carousel for his luggage at the Charlottetown Airport Monday night.

Aha! So that explains it.

There’s a third residence. A mystery residence. In Charlottetown. That’s where Senator Mike Duffy stays when he comes home to P.E.I. in the winter. Not the little yellow cottage in Cavendish pain-in-butt reporter Teresa Wright went knocking on 15 days ago and started this whole quest to find out where Mike Duffy really lives.

“In the winter, I live in town because the road in Cavendish is blocked,” Duffy said yesterday — Islander Day — at the airport, moments after landing on the 5:34 flight from Ottawa.

I had gone to the airport to meet Senator Duffy, hoping to solve this mystery once and for all. He has taken a pounding by the national and local media and in letters to the editor over whether it is appropriate that he claim more than $33,000 in out-of-town living expenses when his primary residence, it would appear, is in Kanata, down the road from where the NHL’s Ottawa Senators also play.

But Mike — he told me to call him Mike — has not liked to talk about it. At an event in Halifax on Feb. 5, he cleverly dodged reporters by slipping through a hotel kitchen.

Luckily for me, his flight Monday night was delayed a half-hour, and that gave me time to scout out the airport for possible escape routes. Given Mike’s MO, the first place I checked out was Budley’s, the airport restaurant, where the daily special was a pulled pork sandwich and fries for $9.49. There appeared no easy route through the kitchen. He would have to hop the counter. That was out.

Next, I checked the conveyor belt. I always wondered where it led to. Your luggage goes through the black curtains and back around the other side. Was this a possible escape? I think I’ve even seen Shaggy and Scooby pull it off, but a senator surely wouldn’t go unnoticed.

Then I asked a cab driver if — just sayin’ — a really important person wanted to get off the plane and avoid walking through the departure area with the rest of the passengers, could it be done? The cab driver assured me no, unless there was a car waiting for him on the tarmac.

But there was no car. Mike arrived with the rest of them.

“Senator Duffy?”

He smiled and asked me to call him Mike. But when I introduced myself as Shane Ross from The Guardian, his face curled up like he had just smelled something bad. Something really bad. But he did indulge me for a couple quick questions.

He said: “Canadians know I’m an honest person,” and everything he has done has been “completely above board.”

He said there has never been a question about his expenses, and “the only issue is residence and I don’t think, when it’s all counted up, there’ll be any problem with that either.”

He said he’s here on business.

I never got a chance to ask him his favourite colour or what was playing on his iPod, but when I asked him if he would be staying at his place in Cavendish, he said he “lives” in town.

And that’s it. He wouldn’t say any more. But I had more questions. Did he own the residence? Was it an apartment or a house? How many bedrooms?

He walked away, and a few minutes later disappeared into the men’s washroom. But little did he know, I had already checked that out too. There were no windows to crawl out of, and the vent was far too small for anyone to squeeze through. I knew he would be back.

I waited and waited. Actually started to feel a little pathetic. Am I really staking out the men’s washroom? Has this poor senator not been through enough already?

Then he emerged, fly up. We locked eyes.

“Just one more question. Is the Charlottetown residence your primary residence?”

Mike sighed.

“It’s none of your business,” he said. “I’ve said too much already. When it’s all over, you all will be very embarrassed.”

Then he walked out of the airport into the snowy night, and drove home.

sross@theguardian.pe.ca

Organizations: NHL, Ottawa Senators

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Cavendish, P.E.I. Kanata Halifax

Comments

Comments

• tax consultant
    May 22, 2013 - 19:30

mike - if you checked pei on your tax return as your province of residence at dec 31 it would have cost you $3500 more in provincial tax , they would not know what to do with you as you would be such a hybrid that no senate rules would match you perfectly . pei could use the $3500 and islanders would stand behind you and support you . now not so much now.

• Ron
    May 21, 2013 - 00:01

"Canadians know I'm honest" ? - Duffy. Yeah ... in Alberta , maybe.

John Getson
    February 26, 2013 - 17:42

So... Senator Duffy claims that the fact that the form asks "the address of my primary residence in the province that I represent" is so ambiguous as to be cause all this uproar, which is distracting from "all the important work I'm doing for the Island." Mr Duffy... plain and simple How did you answer the first question on the form honestly? "My PRIMARY residence is within 100km from Parliment Hill?" or "My PRIMARY residence is more than 100km from Parliment Hill?" The validity of any and all other questions as to suitability of primary and secondary residence(s) expenses and senatorial qualifications will naturally flow from the level of honesty used to answer the first question. Here is the actual form that PEI's illustrious Senator - Mike Duffy found to be so confusing... https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/608102-senatorstravelpolicy-e-34.html

• went looking
    February 23, 2013 - 02:13

just been looking around and found this Standing Committee Rules, Procedures and the Rights of Parliament Current Members Chair David P. Smith Lib. - (Cobourg - Ontario) Deputy Chair David Braley C - (Ontario) Bert Brown C - (Alberta) Gerald J. Comeau C - (Nova Scotia) Michael Duffy C - (Cavendish - Prince Edward Island) Tobias C. Enverga Jr. C - (Ontario) Joan Fraser Lib. - (De Lorimier - Quebec) George Furey Lib. - (Newfoundland and Labrador) Serge Joyal Lib. - (Kennebec - Quebec) Yonah Martin C - (British Columbia) Elaine McCoy Ind. (PC) - (Alberta) Terry Stratton C - (Red River - Manitoba) Marjory LeBreton (or Claude Carignan) Ex-officio - C James S. Cowan (or Claudette Tardif) Ex-officio - Lib. Now tell me he didn't know what he was doing .

• UPWESTER
    February 21, 2013 - 08:31

It's Superman! He's everywhere' He's everywhere!

• C
    February 20, 2013 - 23:28

I love how this is written. Good job.

• Where's Duffy?
    February 20, 2013 - 12:47

Is his primary residence his big luxurious house in Kanata Ontario, or his little snow-encased cottage in Cavendish, or his newly announced anonymous winter abode in Charlottetown? Does even Senator Duffy know where he lives?? The dilemma of his unknown residency could be solved quite easily by locking a GPS tracker to his ankle for a few years. A minor inconvenience, really, considering his guaranteed cushy job for life. Now the really good news! The good Senator's dilemma presents a made-in-Canada business opportunity for job creation (Canada's Action Plan Pt. 3) and educational entertainment with the introduction of a series of children's books and video games titled: "Where's Duffy?" (With gracious credit and royalties due to the creator of "Where's Wally?" (TM))

• fred
    February 20, 2013 - 11:57

Well; I guess i have to agree with duff on this one. He is entitled to a room in chtown; on the tax payers dime. It is a 6 x 9 in sleepy hollow; and he will probably need a health care card.

• clam
    February 20, 2013 - 11:37

Yes we know that Mr Duffy has heart problems,as do a lot of other people.You don,t see all the other people leaving their homes in the winter.To me this is a copout,not everybody can own three homes just for this reason.I do feel for him for this reason,but i have two friends that live down the road from me .They have to travel a good half hour or more, with their heart problems

• Don MacFadyen
    February 20, 2013 - 09:47

I cannot believe this latest tactic by Mike Duffy. Now he has THREE??? houses. Do we pay to move him from Ottawa to Cavendish? Do we pay him to move from Cavendish to Charlottetown? Do we pay him again to move from Charlottetown to Ottawa and then again back to Charlottetown? Who owns the house in Ottawa? When he was appointed to the senate did he not read the rules? Now that he is in the Red Chamber is he above the law? What does it indicate on his income tax return as to the location of his residence?

• Taxwatcher
      February 20, 2013 - 13:45

Quit the Senate and start back with CBC as " Mike Homes!"

• private sector worker
    February 20, 2013 - 09:32

In the private sector Duffy woiuld have been fired long ago for these transgressions- grounds for dismissal, very obviously. But Senator till 75 ????? Lie and do what you like cause you are above the law ???

• Chucker
    February 20, 2013 - 09:13

Abolish the Senate. Or fix it. We should not be paying these unelected people. Paying the unelected Liberal Percy Downe is just as repulsive as paying the unelected Tory Mike Duffy. Let us vote NDP and get rid of al of them. Plain and simple. Th etwo old parties will keep rewarding their hacks. Any other conclusion is delusional.

• Duddly Doright
    February 20, 2013 - 06:05

"Mike sighed. “It’s none of your business,” he said." Wrong, Mr. Duffy: You are a public figure living off public funding. It's every taxpayer's business whether you are cheating us to line your pockets.

• G A MacDonald
    February 19, 2013 - 22:10

I thought Mike might be home on a house hunting excursion, on the taxpayers nikcle. Better a principal residence a bit late then none at all.

• brad
    February 19, 2013 - 22:05

snowy night, and drove home.......Home Where, One should ASK? Also you never mentioned he was driving!! What sort of a Reporter are you? Duffy will WIN (no wonder)

• James Taylor
    February 19, 2013 - 18:21

HA-HA! Too funny....He lives in Charlottetown, we will all be embarrassed....for a guy who made a career out of dogging down politicians to get the facts one would think that "MIKE" would know all the tricks on what not to do. I wish him all the best and hope that he can shine a light on the facts as I already feel embarrassed that he was selected to represent PEI in the Senate. I guess STEPHEN didn't feel as anyone from PEI was qualified or well spoken enough to receive the honors. Or, maybe STEPHEN just got tired of being asked questions that put him on the hot seat and this was his way of not having to deal with MIKE. I wonder if this is also why PAMELA WALIN was appointed. If my thought is in fact true. STEPHEN is a political mastermind. Not only did he rid himself of the question askers, but the attentions of the country are focusing on these people HE appointed rather than the job he is doing. Oh, and this is without even mentioning the disgrace in Quebec. So, here we are. Our public officials proudly representing us by hiding in public wash rooms and sneaking out service exits. Being investigated for everything from possible fraudulent living expenses to heinous criminal acts.... Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? I think everyone should turn there focus slightly to the "right" and make Mr. Harper (STEPHEN) accountable for the choices he has forced us to live with. After a wave of his magic wand the dreams of these chosen few come true, at our expense. Yes our expenses! Our tax paying dollars being wasted on misappropriated expenditures, investigations into wrong doing and finally the most painful cost of all... the cost of losing our CANADIAN PRIDE.

• Patrick
    February 19, 2013 - 16:36

Aaaaah Mike Duffy at the Ch,town airport we will be seeing alot of him there now since he doesn't know where his home is,he could consider himself a peddler,or he probly thinks himself as the good old ground hog just come here so we/ he can see his huge shadow it would cover P.E.I.like the dew,oh probly he was here for islander day...he still consider himself an Islander...come clean us Mike we are not born yesterday Mike or the day before that neither...great job Shane.

• George
    February 19, 2013 - 16:13

Those commenting on the tone or "professionalism" of the column are obviously not familiar with Shane Ross' work for the Guardian. Normally he doesn't appear on the front page, but this is not a news report; it is another of Mr. Ross' slice of life columns with his usual entertaining style and humor. He has brought a bit of levity to the situation and should be commended.

Bill Kays
    February 19, 2013 - 15:06

His lawyers finally got his cover story out did they? I would not believe one word that comes out of Duffy's mouth. Why no resignation? Public officials used to resign at the merest hint or possibility of inappropriate behavior or alleged wrong doing. Why does that not happen anymore? Let us not do away with the Senate but instead let the public do the job of the Senate. That's right, when something goes to the Senate for approval or disapproval we could all vote yes or no via the internet or other communication method. WAKE UP PEOPLE and feel the crooks stealing your money out of your pocket. They smile at you one minute, acknowledge you in the next, and then throw you to the wolves. Increased financial pressures equte directly to an increase in crime.

• Ruth Nicholson
      February 19, 2013 - 20:20

We all woke up long ago, but there's nothing that will stop them. Not the airbus scandal, not robogate, not the tele-health scandal.... In my opinion, they are all con-artists who are not ashamed of what they do, sociopaths, all of them.... no conscience and no heart... I believe it is all run behind the scenes by big business, everything is planned in advance, elections don't matter anymore, it's all electronic and can be rigged as easily as typing in this reply. They are all protected and will never face a pennies worth of penalty... Yes, they got rid of that to make sure.

• Candrayo
    February 19, 2013 - 14:41

Dissappointing article....funny...but dissappointing too.

• Dana
      February 19, 2013 - 17:35

I agree with Candrayo. Only not very funny really.

• Waitforit
    February 19, 2013 - 14:30

Ghoulman, you are correct. Senator Duffy should be accorded the title if only because of his appointment. His shenanigans he himself has orchestrated, however, have brought him the disdain that he receives.

• The layabout
    February 19, 2013 - 14:14

Oh come on...Charlottetown or for that matter the Island isn't THAT big ! Surely SOMEBODY has been peaking thru the curtains and would see Mikey sneaking into the supposed "winter residence" ! He can't be that hard to miss ..... Spill the beans ,neighbours !

• peiguy
    February 19, 2013 - 14:03

I think some lines are being crossed here. He might be a public person but every Canadian has the right for privacy and security. This paper's public presentation of his island home, photos , periods of when unoccupied should make any decent person squirm. It could only have been more intrusive and unprofessional to try to provoke a reaction if the reporter had plunked himself down in the other bathroom cubicle and asked his questions there. Or did he?

• To PEI Guy
      February 19, 2013 - 15:42

Senator "Mike" Duffy is a public person who is paid with money collected by taxing Canadians. The Senate is supposed to be a 'sober' respected institution where one would reasonably expect superior morals and actions. After all, they are the ones who tear apart possible legislation (laws) to ensure the country has the best laws. If someone is on the payroll of the Canadian citizenry, then they are accountable to them. I would say that any 'hanky-panky' should be exposed and punished by having the senator (any senator) lose the senate seat, the income that goes with it, and be made to repay what was taken illegally. I am not saying the senator did any of those things....but when you become a public figure, living out of the public purse, then you must expect the public to watch you. Senator Duffy must think the people of PEI are pretty dumb. The grapevine on PEI has more facts than most media, and I'll be no one can say they are Senator Duffy's next door neighbour! No lines crossed! I am a decent and honest person and that is my view.

• Northerner
      February 19, 2013 - 18:51

PEIGUY..."make any decent person squirm"? See, that's the thing, Duffy's been greedily spending your, mine and every Canadian taxpayers money in a decidedly undecent manner. He and a good number of other Senators should be squirming.

• dm
    February 19, 2013 - 13:36

he said we will be embarrassed, he is just as delusional as harper no wounder he appointed him

• Doug
    February 19, 2013 - 12:54

What I was taught in high school about the Canadian government, I immediately took it as gospel that the institutions were right and valid. When Mr. Harper reopened the debate as to whether to abolish the Senate, I disagreed. Now, reading the bios of the senators in newspapers, and recalling all of the good that they have done for Canada lately, I have arrived at the conclusion that the Senate plays no valid part in Canada's governance. I now have to say that I agree with Mr. Harper and hope that he re-opens the issue to get rid of the Senate. Who knows? Maybe he already has and what we are seeing now is just part of the game!

• Love the comic strip
    February 19, 2013 - 12:35

So, is he "here" on business, or "home" on business??

• From Away
    February 19, 2013 - 12:20

Wish someone had told me " Old Homeweek" came early this year-- I would have come down to help the Senatror Shovel--- Snow.

• Well Done
    February 19, 2013 - 12:17

Loved the article .Well written Shane .All Sen. Duffy has to do, If he is an honest man, is give his home address here on P.E.I. . It's not rocket science .

• SG
    February 19, 2013 - 12:10

Gee Senator Duffy is garnering more attention on PEI than Regis N Kelly and almost as much as Prince William and Kate! He must be very flattered errrrrr maybe not!

• Sylvia
    February 19, 2013 - 12:03

I enjoyed reading this article, thought it was very funny and entertaining. Thank you Shane for this. Duffy is such a joke how could anyone possibly write a serious article about him. He's so pompous and actually thinks he's above the law. I used to watch him on TV when he was a journalist and I liked him. Now I dislike him very much and have zero respect for him. What an embarrassment it is for him to call himself an Islander.

• WELL DONE
    February 19, 2013 - 12:02

Shane, you did a great job on this story and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Dale Small
    February 19, 2013 - 11:58

Wonderful article! We need more of this kind of humor combined with good reporting. I laughed out loud, loved it....first rate Shane!

• IF it happens he pulls the rabbit
    February 19, 2013 - 11:57

......out of the hat and somewhat finds the red tape to justify his expenses, I surely hope that the media keep on top of this story. As you know, with the "right ingredients" anything can be "proven" but over what duration? I know that Duff grew up in a home on Churchill at North River Road. That was his mom and dad's home. Perhaps he was left that in will. But is he and his wife really living there? For how long would that be? Should he received the $33,000.00 or whatever expenses when he "visits" Ottawa and stays in his own home in Kanata? He can be very prickly about this situation if he so chooses, but above board is not how I read it. He was against the Senate. I suspect he was given a seat in the Senate as a means to shut that "pain in the ass reporter" up. Trust me, Duff makes a big pain in the ass. He knows he is pulling off something. He may get away with this as he knows the red tape to pull, but I know in my heart of hearts that he is utilizing every bit of the system he can just to make more of the almighty dollar. It is amazing what a person will do and howmuch a person will throw away for the princely sum of $33,000.00! He is selling out cheap. Oh...yes and the golden key of being a Senator. But I would accept that one too I guess. But to screw the system even further!???? Notsomuch. Squeaky clean he will never be. And I have an addition to the end of the article: There should have been parenthesis/quotes encircling the word "home". I might add, I admire the humourous side that the writer took in reporting this story. People, Duff is the one you should be keeping within your eyesight. Congratuations on a humourous article.

• go away Duff
    February 19, 2013 - 11:52

Go away Mike Duffy and, this time, stay away.

• Annony Moose
    February 19, 2013 - 11:47

Why would anyone go knocking on Duffy's Island door when they know Parliament is in session so he would not be on the Island. duh deliberate set up.

• Upwester
      February 20, 2013 - 14:24

Nice bit of deduction there, Sherlock Hemlock. Watson! Come here I need you!

• Rose Hicken
    February 19, 2013 - 11:40

I have no problem with this article and I enjoyed every bit of it. It was funny and interesting without being boring and serious. WTG Shane Ross....great article and never give up that humor.

• A. Normeaux
    February 19, 2013 - 11:37

Funny, a bit more than a year ago he would akways come into the great george anytime he was on pei in his "usual room" ...

• Average Guy
    February 19, 2013 - 11:35

Excellent Article Shane. Islander and Sean, really should broaden their knowledge of writing styles. - Side note: It’s time for “Mike” to step down, he never should have been appointed as a Senator from PEI in the first place. -

• trish
    February 19, 2013 - 11:32

Great job Shane!! First political article I smiled at in years!! Politicians are a joke to society, making fools of the tax payers that put them in and supported them, so we may as well make fun of those that abuse their well paid jobs. When they start to take their elected positions serious and don't waste our hard working tax dollars and continue to lie maybe then we can slowly gain some faith back in the system. The true embarrassment lies with us the taxpayers! Think of that next election!! Time to get rid of the Senators, useless wasteful ancient part of politics!

• The Best Medicine
    February 19, 2013 - 11:27

Lighten up folks. It's been a long winter and this was the most hilarious article I've read in ages. I laughed until I cried. Well done, Shane.We all need a sense of humour and surely even Duffy himself will enjoy this.

• jules
    February 19, 2013 - 11:21

Well, I love this article. Good work. It makes me feel as though the author can see what all these politicians we let run this country really are. Jokes. Somehow we have all lost sight of the truth and that means they have made a joke out of us as well. Once we remember that it is our right, and so very possible, we can all stand together and make these fools work for us like they are supposed to do. WE elect these people to work FOR us.

• Heres looking at you
    February 19, 2013 - 11:19

I enjoyed reading the story. However, the perfect ending would be like in Casablanca.

• nicolette
    February 19, 2013 - 11:17

check out Mike's website. He says he has lived in Ottawa for 30 years! Senator Lavigne was hounded, charged with Fraud (over $5,000.00) and breach of trust & found guilty over $20,000.00 in expenses , humiliated in the press and sentenced to 6 mo. in jail. Why are these Harper appointees getting a free ride?

• Funny Business
      February 19, 2013 - 13:13

After reading this post, I had to check out Mr. Duffy's website. Wouldn't you know, when I clicked on the 'Bio' link... I got an error! Page cannot be found! Just a coincidence I'm sure... no damage control frantically happening behind the scenes.

• Blaine
    February 19, 2013 - 11:17

As always Shane,a great job.Thanks for the smile.

• Waitforit
    February 19, 2013 - 11:11

The article was tongue-in-cheek to those who don't know the difference. However, for Duffy to say it was none of his business, he was wrong. Whenever a person is using tax dollars, the public has every right to know where it is being spent and if it is legitimate.

• another Islander
    February 19, 2013 - 11:10

Awesome article!!! I really enjoyed reading it!

• Ghoulman
    February 19, 2013 - 11:05

I don't care how tongue and cheek this article is, one doesn't refer to a Senator by anything else but 'Senator'. And btw, I was quite impressed by the work of "pain-in-butt reporter Teresa Wright" in the past. Her work on the PNP scandal was quite good, especially in a newspaper that is notorious for hackery.

• Ken Ashton
    February 19, 2013 - 11:04

I think Mr Duffy should stay out of the kitchen if he can't take the heat.

• Garth Staples
    February 19, 2013 - 11:03

Is Mr Ross a reporter, journalist or commentator? I wonder who approved his article?

• iBen
    February 19, 2013 - 10:39

I have composed a little ditty for Duffy, it is sung to the tune of “Bud The Spud” Its our own Duffy he’s having it rough Rolling down the highway crying The duff is big up on the hill But he’s not from Prince Edward Island.

• Ryan
    February 19, 2013 - 10:25

Seems like "Sean" and "Islander" missed the fact that this is an Opinion piece. Maybe you should work on reading comprehension before you make comments about a person's journalistic professionalism.

• Obie
      February 19, 2013 - 12:29

Whether or not it is an opinion piece has no bearing on its professionalism Ryan. And since when is its type (1) a fact, (2) a result of reading comprehension? Did Teresa Wright trek to the little cottage in Cavendish, in the dead of winter, and actually expect Duffy to be there? Although I don't trust Duffy, this is plain garbage, The Guardian is well on its way to trash reporting. We shall only see more and more of it.

• Shameon Mikey
    February 19, 2013 - 10:00

mr. Duffy is the one who should be embarrassed. If he has Nothing to Hide, he should hide nothing. Shameful behaviour on his part And the part of so many in government. Shameful.

• wonder who will really be embarassed
    February 19, 2013 - 09:41

"Home" is likely the Delta.....put on his expense account, of course!!

• LA
      February 19, 2013 - 11:42

I think you hit the nail on the head.

• hardwood
      February 19, 2013 - 20:45

Sounds like double-dipping to me.

• lilley
    February 19, 2013 - 09:38

"Then he walked out of the airport into the snowy night, and drove home"...Gosh Mike, it's a long drive, even in good weather, to go all the way BACK to Kanata to get HOME!! Wouldn't it be better to check into a Hotel during your "Visit", like all other NON-RESIDENT visitors, even on "Business Trips"???

• Islander
    February 19, 2013 - 09:34

This is a pathetic, unprofessional article..

• nitpicker
      February 19, 2013 - 10:27

With articles like this, its no wonder why these guys dodge the media. That said, I agree with Alan Holman who, on Saturday, said that all Duffy has to do is produce some simple documentation that shows his primary residence. Then the case is closed.

• Joe Citizen
    February 19, 2013 - 09:33

Shane Ross, "People in the know" expect this sort of writing style for a National Enquirer rag,or perhaps TMZ,..."and how was your day"!!

• Kelly
    February 19, 2013 - 09:30

I LOVE this article. It is well written and hilarious. Well done Shane Ross!

• Justin Flontek
    February 19, 2013 - 09:30

mike duffy doesn't have a PEI health card and doesn't vote there either. Explain that, duffy.

• Saga Follower
    February 19, 2013 - 09:28

He drove 'home? Where might that be? I highly doubt the reporter will be as embarassed as the Senator....if the truth comes out.

• Della
    February 19, 2013 - 09:28

Enjoyed reading this article emensley! Well done. Nice to see some humor in how difficult you had it to get this story.

• alleyoops
    February 19, 2013 - 09:28

Shane, You forgot to finish off the last sentence... Then he walked out of the airport into the snowy night, and drove home, where ever that is.

• Chris S
    February 19, 2013 - 09:25

I can only magine that his counsil has instructed him to keep his mouth shut and mentioning this City-side primary residence was a slip. Watch now as Patterson, Wallin and Duffy all claim some month to month rental in someone elses name or some such thing. It wouldn't surprise me anyway.

• Garth Staples
    February 19, 2013 - 09:24

Investigative reporting Guardian style. I await the report of the Senate audit.

• sean
    February 19, 2013 - 09:22

Although the topic of this piece is valid, the reporting is horrific. Sounded more like you were writing a prank piece for your buddies. Show some professionalism.

• Mavis Gallant-Pursey
      February 19, 2013 - 10:20

Sean your professionalism is not in question. Dates and times which are factual are sometimes needed but boring. Thank-you for your jovial spin on the story. It was most entertaining.I couldn't have said it better myself. Yes I consider myself somewhat of a writer.

• LA
      February 19, 2013 - 11:43

If you don't understand a little well-done sarcasm and humour, that's on you not him.

• To "LA"
      February 19, 2013 - 12:41

"a little well-done sarcasm" is indeed one thing...an entire article written in humour is another and does not reflect any professionalism whatsoever.

• Need To KNow
    February 19, 2013 - 09:21

So why wouldn't you just follow him home and research the address today at the Provincial Tax office. Seems to me that you missed a great opportunity to break a national story. Your loss I guess.

• NOW YOU KNOW
      February 19, 2013 - 10:26

Yes, I forgot you can just jump on airplanes whenever you so desire!