Doyle handed conditional discharge for damaging property

Jim Day

Former P.E.I. Rocket star Chris Doyle has dodged a second potential heavy hit in court that could have put his hockey career on thin ice.

Chris Doyle, right, and his lawyer Jonathan Coady leave court Tuesday morning.

Chief Judge John Douglas granted the 20-year-old Charlottetown native a conditional discharge after Doyle pleaded guilty to damaging property of his former girlfriend.

Douglas ordered Doyle to keep the peace and be of good behaviour during a six-month period of probation.

If directed by probation, Doyle is also to continue receiving assessment and counseling to address any underlying issues that led to his actions on Sept. 25, 2009 when after a night of drinking he barged in unannounced on his ex-girlfriend Chloe MacEachern's apartment.

I am going to put this in the past and move on with my life. Chris Doyle

Doyle was found not guilty in April of assault causing bodily harm in connection with an altercation at the Mayflower Apartments in Charlottetown where MacEachern was living. Douglas said at the time he could not find Doyle guilty of assault causing bodily harm because the Crown had not been able to establish that Doyle had actually intended to hurt the victim.

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Bill Stephenson
    July 14, 2010 - 09:16

The right legal result after a long public pursuit. An unelected (and, in turn, insulated) judge made the decision based on the law - not public opinion.

• HOCKEY PUCK
    July 13, 2010 - 23:41

Come on....if a person is sorry, we should forgive.. We all make mistakes and we all deserve a second chance. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is an-------- for the past, but everbody deserves a second chance.

• sjjjen
    July 13, 2010 - 21:43

it's good to have friend's in high place's!!!!!! [sick system] i bet if it was a young kid with out any of the hockey glamer around him he'd most likely get a couple of year's in jail just because he didn't know people in high place's . i bet this is not the last we hear of mr doyle in the court's .

• Nora
      July 14, 2010 - 08:54

Friends in high places...get over yourself! He was found "not guitly" and given a conditional discharge. It could not be PROVEN that this guy intended to hurt this young women. 6 months probation along with assessment and counseling fits this crime just fine considering he was only charged with damage to property...Give your head a shake people!

• specialjustice
    July 13, 2010 - 17:41

Typical of the justice system here. If you know someone this is what happens.

• Joe Martell
    July 13, 2010 - 17:02

Heads you're guilty, but tails you're not? And could the coin sometimes a double-sided bust of Her Majesty? To think that I was scolded for predicting this very outcome...scolded for what? Stealing the thunder? I contend that in December of last year, I was merely stating what was to me...obvious. Today, it looks like my hunch was right. I think we need a thorough overhaul of how we fill the benches of our courts in this country. Our Judges should be accountable directly to the communities they are entrusted to protect...that is, elected.