Paving the way to prosperity for P.E.I.

Teresa Wright

P.E.I. Premier Wade MacLauchlan met with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Wednesday in Ottawa to ensure P.E.I. projects are included in the upcoming stimulus infrastructure program.

P.E.I. Premier Wade MacLauchlan went to Ottawa hoping to ensure the prime minister is mindful of the Island’s financial needs, but he came away feeling bolstered that Justin Trudeau also understands where P.E.I. is prospering.

MacLauchlan spent a whirlwind day in Ottawa Wednesday meeting with Trudeau on Parliament Hill and with numerous other federal ministers and MPs.

P.E.I. is also requesting more leeway to apply for funding for collector roads under the Build Canada Fund.

MacLauchlan says he was pleased with the reception he received.

“There was a high level of awareness of P.E.I. context and issues and good personal relations and, I would say, sympathy,” MacLauchlan said.

But he also noted Trudeau was not only sympathetic to P.E.I.’s needs but also well versed in the province’s positive achievements over the last year.

Trudeau knew details, for example, of how many Syrian refugees P.E.I. has welcomed and he knew that the Island is leading all provinces and territories in export growth.

“There was a high level of awareness of P.E.I. context and issues and good personal relations and, I would say, sympathy.” PREMIER WADE MACLAUCHLAN

MacLauchlan says he is especially happy the prime minister appears to understand the unique ways the Atlantic region can contribute to the country as a whole.

“At the very end of our conversation, I said to him that I’m glad he is where he is because one of the challenges that Prince Edward Island has from time to time with the federal government is to really understand that it’s not one-size-fits-all and that small can be big and nimble.”

Trudeau responded by saying that grasping this concept includes “understanding what small is in the first place.”

“I was very pleased, it’s almost like he finished my sentence for me,” MacLauchlan said.

“He had a good account of where we have some achievements to our credit and where there’s continuing work to do.”

MacLauchlan met with six federal ministers during his visit to Ottawa, including Treasury Board resident Scott Brison, Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr and Immigration Minister John McCallum. He also met with all four of P.E.I.’s members of Parliament.

Organizations: Build Canada Fund, Treasury Board, Veterans Affairs

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, Ottawa, Parliament Hill New Brunswick Atlantic

• Fed up
    February 26, 2016 - 23:00

Trudeau finishes his sentences because they're cut from the same ROCK....born and raised rich. Spend money like there's no tomorrow. They never had to struggle so how can they understand how WE do?!? Sickening how much alike they are...and NOT in a good way!!

• no thanks
    February 26, 2016 - 08:19

if it moves , tax it and if it doesn't pave it !!! He learned a lot about PEI from Robert Mr Trudeau and Mr. Ghiz are still best of buddies no doubt -- INCREASE THAT HST!! Keep smiling wade

• Hubris
    February 26, 2016 - 08:08

"Paving the way to Prosperity', - for cousin Blair maybe, - but for the rest of us, it is 'paving the way to no-where.

• Eastern Observer
      February 26, 2016 - 14:15

Great comment!!! Cousin Blair will reap the benefits for sure!! Next item--- HST increase on top of the Maritime Electric increase; which will affect all Islanders!! Well; Islanders voted for him!!!!

• Dublo
    February 26, 2016 - 08:04

Aah, ha, ha, ha, - Justin you are such a card -----

• Agnes
    February 26, 2016 - 08:02

"understanding what small is in the first place"- Now there is a challenge, - there is a question worthy of philosophical discussion, - such a debate could go on for years, -- and to think that was what the Premier was just going to say, and Justin reading his mind and pronouncing just that. I am in awe, as should the nation be--- Justin is a mind- reader, along with his ability to walk on water. Go away with you, Wade ------

• Rubino
    February 26, 2016 - 07:56

The profoundness of this exchange and conversation is stunning. Well worth a trip to Ottawa for sure ? We should all be weeping for Canada, as it disappears before our eyes.

• wow.
    February 26, 2016 - 07:36

Wow. is it April already? I thought Premier MacL was going to Ottawa in April / May for the tulip festival. I am sure that the meeting was as positive as he suggests. KKMLMPKMM.

• Polictics
    February 26, 2016 - 07:10

Ths Premier is setting the tone that when things goe wrong he is off on another trip, similar to aharper.. I would advise the Premier to fix the internal problems. The most recent one of Roach allegations that he lied in the Legislation. This is major business that should be addressed immediately and if substance than fire him. If Myers is wrong that he has to apologize.. This Roach guy with memory loss at the fall session and other past dealing questionable at best have to be cleared up. The Premier always choses to leave the mess behind and move on.Well, sir it does not work that way. Just remember your performance in session over the egaming and more so the release of Information under the Freedom Information Act. You pressed for" MAY release information" That my educated friend ,is not transparency but is in fact legislation that would give Government power only to release what they want. The word required is "SHALL" release

• whoopdeedoo
    February 26, 2016 - 06:57

I wonder if they carry their own flags with them for the photo opportunities?

• Islander
    February 26, 2016 - 06:48

The Premier should know that the Prime Minister is well aware of the mismanagement the PEI Government has engaged in over the past ten yrs including now. Everyone else knows, I would be hard pressed if Justin did know exactly how PEI works. Did you fine people discuss the egaming, PNP, slush fund, Crane and Hal Perry contract to Avery and many more unethical issues. We will get no more than any other Province and as far as this Premiers spin, just take that with a grain of salt.

• Jim
    February 26, 2016 - 06:39

The premier presented P.E.I.’s infrastructure priorities, including the need for $40 million to tie the new underwater electricity cables now under construction with the transmission systems of P.E.I. and New Brunswick. Tell me again why we are paying for a cable for Maritime Electric