Summerside man sustains burns to his leg in shed fire

Nancy MacPhee
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Summerside firefighters work to extinguish a fire Wednesday afternoon in a shed on Elm Street. A man who was inside the shed suffered minor burns to his leg and was taken to Prince County Hospital for treatment. 

Neighbours help man who was working with gasoline when it caught fire, burning his pants, leg

SUMMERSIDE – As Michael Davis heard cries for help, he looked up and saw the man, his body partially engulfed in flames.

“I just heard some guy screaming and looked up and saw his pant leg was on fire,” said Davis. “My first reaction was, wow, is this real? I was in shock and like what the hell.”

What happened next is a bit foggy, clouded by a surge of adrenaline.

Linda Mater was also there, watching it all unfold.

“Michael yelled ‘there’s smoke, the man’s on fire’. He just bee-lined it to the man. I never saw him move so fast,” said Mater.

They were in their backyard on Avon Street when they heard the man’s screams and saw smoke coming from the shed outside his home at 302 Elm St.

Mater said Davis didn’t flinch, running to help the man who, by this time, was on the ground, rolling around trying to stop flames from burning his skin.

“My first reaction was, wow, is this real? I was in shock and like what the hell.” Michael Davis

“It just happened so fast,” said Davis, who grabbed handfuls of snow to quench the flames. “I just went there and assisted him and helped put the fire out.”

Davis then grabbed a shovel and did his best to try and put the structure fire out.

“We were just at the right place at the right time,” said Mater.

The man sustained burns to his leg and was taken to hospital. The extent of his injuries is not known.

Mater called 9-1-1 and, within minutes, Summerside Fire Department was on scene.

“The guy was working with gasoline and he accidentally ignited it,” said Summerside Fire Chief Jim Peters. “He suffered burns to one leg as a result.”





Organizations: Summerside Fire Department

Geographic location: Summerside, Avon Street

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • News Catcher
    February 25, 2016 - 16:42

    The latest news from the Summerside Fire Chief says he lit a cigarette while he was doing something with gasoline. Stupid, eh?