P.E.I. school breakfast program benefits from community support

Education, Early Learning and Culture Minister Doug Currie joined Parkdale Elementary student Camron Watts and volunteer Audrey Mayhew at their school breakfast program.

The provincial government is spending $200,000 annually to make sure Island children get a good breakfast.

That money is being augmented by local donations, fundraising and support from provincial and national organizations.

The breakfast program aims to help teach students positive nutrition habits and make sure they are well fed heading into class.

The P.E.I. Healthy Eating Alliance, which is jointly funded by the Departments of Education, Early Learning and Culture and Health and Wellness, has helped secure a number of increased community supports, including:

- $20,000 from the P.E.I. Egg Farmers for school programs for eggs and egg storage/cooking equipment;

- Subsidized milk purchases for all breakfast programs courtesy of the P.E.I. School Milk Foundation;

- $3,000 from the Clarke-Smith Foundation to fund a workshop for breakfast program co-ordinators – teachers, school staff and volunteers;

- $2,500 from the western region – Sport and Recreation Council for West Prince schools;

- $1,250 from Farm Credit Canada; and

- $1,000 from Vector Aerospace.

National organizations such as Breakfast for Learning and Breakfast Club of Canada also provide funding to some schools.

“Whether through volunteers, fundraising or donations, community support is the backbone of school breakfast and snack programs,” said Education Minister Doug Currie.

Provincial government funding for school breakfast programs has doubled this year to $200,000, supporting breakfast and snack programs in 90 per cent of Island schools and alternative education programs.

To learn more about healthy school communities, visit http://www.gov.pe.ca/healthyschoolcommunities/

Organizations: P.E.I. Healthy Eating Alliance, P.E.I. School Milk Foundation, Clarke-Smith Foundation Recreation Council for West Prince Vector Aerospace Learning and Breakfast Club of Canada

Geographic location: Iceland

• Pat McGowan
    January 29, 2016 - 09:58

I'd like to add that the Montague Rotary Club has invested over $100.000 to breakfast programs in all of King's County.

• J
    January 29, 2016 - 06:33

Whatever happened to feeding kids breakfast before sending them to school. Before you say there's not enough money, get rid of the I-phone, tattoos, Facebook page and Tim's coffee, then if there's still not enough money for breakfast send your child to free breakfast.

• Jerrad Gilbert
    January 28, 2016 - 19:46

"More than 600 volunteers provide 24,300 breakfasts or snacks to 8,000 students each week." SOOOooo impressed with this statement. No kid should be asked to go to school, or bed, hungry. Nice story.

• Karl Proude
    January 28, 2016 - 17:57

So this tells me we do have families that can not meet day to day living expense but yet we can afford to write off loads waste monies,give handout grants etc,etc,etc. but we cannot find any tax breaks for the low income.. I don,t figure you will print this one either Guardian. And why do we need the limelight photo to tell us about what the government is doing. Yes the program is good but we always need the Pro political BS involved.

• Harold
    January 28, 2016 - 13:53

Hey! I recognize that guy! He's the one that stops by my house every 4 years when he wants me to to vote for him! Glad to see he's feeding the kids breakfast too

• Appreciative mother
    January 28, 2016 - 13:44

I am very thankful for this program every Tuesday and Thursday my son can wait to get to school to make "the breakfast program" it is a very great thing to do so thank you to all volunteers and anyone else involved

• Troubled
    January 28, 2016 - 13:17

Oh, ain't that nice, Currie got his puss in the paper. The same amount of money as the MLAs throw away on "incidentals" pr. year., and now with Wade's blessing. Thieves.