UPDATE: Teen snowmobiler dead after collision with car

Mitch MacDonald

Coastal Drive road in Pleasant View closed for RCMP investigation

PLEASANT VIEW - A 14-year-old snowmobiler was pronounced dead at the scene after a fatal collision here Sunday afternoon.

West Prince RCMP and Island EMS were dispatched to a collision between a young male snowmobile driver and a car on the Coastal Drive Road just north of the Thompson Road at approximately 3:10 p.m.

Corporal Mike Lutley said the collision occurred when the snowmobiler went to cross the road.

"He was directly into the path of the oncoming vehicle," said Lutley.

The road was blocked to all traffic late afternoon into the evening while emergency services were on scene.

The closure also allowed an RCMP collision analyst to investigate the scene.

Lutley said it's still unclear whether charges will be laid.

"It's going to depend on the investigation statements and the reports from the traffic analyst before we determine that," he said.

Lutley said the male driver and female passenger of the car were uninjured.

While the afternoon saw some overcast conditions, he said weather was not considered a factor.

"And at this point, there's no reason to believe drugs or alcohol were contributing factors," added Lutley.

Pleasant View is on Highway 14 north of Miminegash.

Organizations: RCMP

Comments

Comments

• maureen chaisson
    January 18, 2016 - 16:01

Please Guardian remove those comments, where is the compassion in this world..be a responsible paper and respect all of your readers and show some respect..

• Carol
    January 18, 2016 - 15:44

I just came from that way about 20 minutes before this happen as I was in a store in Miscouche when cops passed by.....Going to O'leary & back to Summerside that I had 3 vehicles passed me over the solid line plus 15 zooming pass me as I am going the allow speed....everyone speeds on the highway when shouldn't be...cant blame it on the 14 yr old as no one cant say if the vehicle could of been speeding or not paying attention around him....The parents have to deal with this sudden death that they don't need anyone putting the blame on the child or why he shouldn't be alone on the ski-doo alone....my condolence to the family.

• therod
    January 18, 2016 - 07:24

This is a terrible tragedy that could have easily been avoided. Teach your kids to respect traffic when they are on their sleds!

• Lily
      January 18, 2016 - 15:49

Therod is right. Parents need to step up and take responsibility for whatever they do or don't teach their children. The man and woman in the vehicle are devastated for the rest of their lives, maybe the parents should offer them compensation, THEN they would take their parental Duties seriously.

• To Lily
      January 19, 2016 - 14:55

Lily, you should say your piece face to face to these parents. Probably not gonna happen though eh? People like you who judge people's parenting skills are hilarious and pathetic all in one. So you have children I assume? And you always do perfect by them right? Always there no matter where they go? To protect them from all the harms of the world eh? Nothing bad will ever happen to them as long as you are walking the earth...am I right? Well if that's your perception then you are kidding yourself my dear. As parents we do everything in our power to protect our children, but we cannot shelter them from all that is bad in life. No matter how hard we try. For you and all those who are judging these parents, I can only hope a similar situation never happens to you. Because then, and only then, you would see that this was nothing more than a tragic accident. These parents do not need your ignorant and moronic comments directed towards their parenting skills. They are in mourning and deserve respect. My condolences goes out to the family of this young man. To lose a child is the most painful, sorrowful, hopeless, agonizing feeling in the world.

• david
    January 18, 2016 - 02:12

The obvious question is what was a 14 year old doing driving snowmobile crossing a public highway. Where are the parents? Secondly, why are the RCMP not on the trails? The amount of drunks and drunk driving of snowmobiles on the trails this year is staggering. There are even private clubs where you can stop and buy alcohol which I am quite sure are just snowmobile bootleggers. Snowmobiling has become a big sport in PEI but there is almost no policing done now. So how many more deaths will there be before someone in authority decides to do something to stop the senseless deaths.

• Sledder
      January 18, 2016 - 07:58

You blame the parents seriously? Are you serious! . Why not show some respect. I have yet to meet a bootlegging establishment on the trails and the trails are policed by trail wardens and city/rcmp at road crossings . How do you even bring alcohol into this story you nit!

• Jeff
      January 18, 2016 - 08:04

This can happen at any age. The boy was living a dream at his age . It is a terrible accident. I am not sure but can 14 year olds be on the road in farm tractors? If not a tractor they can a bike or walk, accidents do happen 14 year olds can not be all inside watching T.V.

• Louann
      January 18, 2016 - 08:19

David , Let it go !!!!! His family does not need to hear your wisdom at this time , for frig sake !! Save your rant for a more appropriate time .

• Ed
      January 18, 2016 - 08:34

RCMP do not have the man power or the equipment to police Ski-foo riders. As long as you stay clear of the main roads they have no way of getting to you. Although alcohol had nothing to do with this tragic incident, I agree there is a lot of drinking and driving on these machines this day in age. A friend who is RCMP says they don't even own skidoo a on the island.... Says they are the only province that don't.

• Brian
      January 18, 2016 - 08:45

Show some respect for family.

• To David
      January 18, 2016 - 12:35

David....you would be wise to think about what you spew out of your mouth before you do it. So if your son/daughter is killed in an ACCIDENT, would you like it if some twit comes online and blames you for what is nothing else but a tragic accident? The parents have no fault in this. You can't protect your children 100 per cent of the time. You can only educate them to the best of your ability and hope for the best. But even that can't prevent accidents. Accidents happen unfortunately, but there is a reason they are called accidents. There is nobody to blame in an accident. To answer your question about where the parents are, i'm going to guess that they are in the last place they have ever wanted to be in, and that's a funeral home making arrangements to bury their 14 year old son. My thoughts and prayers go out to the parents and friends/family of this young man. I couldn't imagine the pain that is felt to bury your child.

• david
      January 18, 2016 - 13:09

The appropriate time is when something like this happens as it is the ONLY time people take notice to the problem. Why was 1 4 year old on snowmobile on the highway? Obviously he/she is not licensed to be on the roadway. So where were the parents as looking after this child. Alcohol is major factor in snowmobiling just Friday night one snowmobiler was charged in PEI and several more injured in Nova Scotia all alcohol related because there is almost NO policing on the trails and many trails have what are private clubs and bootleggers operating all with no policing. The only time people get riled up about a senseless death is when there is a senseless death like this 14 year old.

• WHEN?
      January 18, 2016 - 16:36

So when IS the "right" time to talk about it? All you clowns pretend to have sooooo much compassion are part of the problem. The parents are partially to blame for this whether you like it or not and sticking your empty heads in the sand, pretending it didn't happen, helps no one. Grow up and stop with this garbage of it being too soon to talk about it.

• Jacqueline
    January 17, 2016 - 20:03

So sorry for the child family

• Patsy( LeClair) Sabourin
      January 18, 2016 - 14:41

I am a sister of my 9 year young brother who drowned when I was 6 years young. This sadness brought back all those memories. I remember seeing my Dad and Uncle crying,blaming themselves. Did it bring my brother back? Of course not,this family certainly doesn't need people to blame them,because they're hurting enough as it is. Mom,always said"if you can't say anything nice,don't say anything at all.I can't even imagine what they're going through,I have children of my own and I would be devastated.God Bless you all.

• Lily
      January 18, 2016 - 15:55

For the family? Seriously? What about the people in the car? Charges laid? Against the parents for neglect of the child and traumatizing the occupants of the car. This could have been avoided.