Elmwood house fire ruled accidental by fire marshal's office

Dave Stewart
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

North River Fire Department's TACT 2 Tactical Response unit.

A New Year’s Day fire at a home on the Quinn Road in Elmwood has been ruled accidental.

The P.E.I. fire marshal’s office said the fire, which occurred in a single-family dwelling, was probably caused when waste materials in or around the bathroom vanity ignited.

The North River Fire Department responded to the call around 11:30 p.m. on Jan. 1.

Fire chief Kirby Wakelin said they responded with close to 30 firefighters. His main concern right away was that the home was close to a 15-minute drive for the department.

“It came in as a bathroom fire and it was in the structure. It is quite a ways away from the (fire) hall and that’s quite a time for a fire to be free burning. Being that it was inside the structure I ordered all the trucks on the road,’’ Wakelin said.

“It could turn into anything so I ordered all trucks to it. We can always turn them back if we don’t need them.’’

No one was hurt in the fire and Wakelin added that the family almost had it out themselves by using the shower head.

“I think the homeowner had it pretty well out but we did run a line into the house and put out the rest.’’

The fire chief said the house suffered “a little bit of smoke damage’’ and the bathroom is obviously going to require some work.


Organizations: The North River Fire Department

Geographic location: Elmwood, Quinn Road

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page