Perry comments on his departure from cabinet

Eric McCarthy

FILE PHOTO: Premier Wade MacLauchlan and Hal Perry.

Says he is very, very happy, blessed to be doing work in his in his constituency of Tignish-Palmer Road

TIGNISH – Tignish-Palmer Road MLA Hal Perry said Friday he is not losing any sleep over Premier Wade MacLauchlan’s decision to remove him from cabinet.

“The premier made the decision to change things up a little bit,” Perry said in a telephone interview.

“It depends on what the agenda is moving forward, and the premier believed, moving forward, that the decisions he made would assist with that, and I respect that. I really do respect that,” Perry added.

Happy in his constituency

“I am where I am supposed to be, which is still the MLA for Tignish-Palmer Road, something that I am very, very happy and blessed to be doing. It is probably the favourite thing I’ve ever done in my life.”

Perry’s career in provincial politics started out as a Progressive Conservative MLA but partway through his first term he crossed the floor of the legislature and joined the Liberals. Leading up to last spring’s provincial election, he won the Liberal nomination for Tignish-Palmer Road over the former Liberal cabinet minister he had unseated in the previous election, and went on to reclaim the seat.

He was passed over when the post-election cabinet was selected, but was handed the Education, Early Learning and Culture ministry the following day when the premier’s first choice for the position, Tina Mundy, stepped down. Mundy is now back in cabinet but in a different department.

Perry endorsed the premier’s choice to replace him. “By putting Doug (Currie) into Education at this time, with the experience and knowledge he has, it’s a good fit,” he acknowledged. He noted Currie has been Minister of Education in the past and has a background as a teacher and administrator.

“Now we hand the torch over for the next leg.” He had no response when asked whether there is something particularly challenging on the horizon that requires Currie’s leadership, but offered up this assessment of the department’s new minister: “He has that background and he has the capabilities of moving forward with the new education system.”

Perry described his term as a cabinet minister an honor.

“Not every MLA gets the opportunity to sit in cabinet. It gave me an opportunity to really gain a lot of knowledge and to see things from a different perspective and how they work at the top level,” he acknowledged. “I’m grateful to have had that opportunity. That may again arise, but, at this time, I am quite content to be the MLA for Tignish-Palmer Road. I will do my best to help out my constituents and fulfill their needs and expectations.”

Organizations: Culture ministry

Geographic location: Tignish-Palmer Road

• JL
    January 11, 2016 - 07:31

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The PEI Dept of Education needs to be abolished and its political appointee bureaucrats kicked to the curb. Have a single school board for PEI and make it report the Nova Scotia Dept of Education, which is far more progressive and student-focused.

• martin
    January 10, 2016 - 07:37

I would say that the front page of yesterday's Guardian did Mr.PERRY in as far as being a cabinet minister. it is obvious that the Premier knew this story on Perry and Crane was coming out so King Wade took action . It appears that Hal is unethical and fits right in with the Liberals and so does CRANE. When we see the taxpayer get a chance to see the total of all the severance packages paid out to the people King Wade fired? Did they all getfull severence or partial sseverence since they were fired? Dig deeper and give the taxpayer the full story.

• Island Boy
    January 09, 2016 - 10:11

It is interesting to note that Currie was Minister if Education and, although asked, did nothing to assist frontline teacher Lanigan in her search for justice. It took Justice Taylor's decision of 30th November 2015 to "expose" the details. Most of the Dept of Education personnel involved were appointed during Currie's "watch"!

• martin
      January 10, 2016 - 21:31

If you knew anything of the situation you I am sure you would agree the learned judge got it wrong. Doug is the Minister and I am certain he doesn't micromanage.

• Just Sayin
    January 09, 2016 - 08:35

There is absolutely no doubt that we have a dictator on our hands. I believe that from the beginning and I believe it now.If Perry is happy to be the MLA for Tignish-Palmer Road then he never was cabinet material and in the end I guess it showed.

• spud
    January 08, 2016 - 23:55

So he's out $50.000 a year and he's happy about it something smells here and it's not Irish moss !!!

• Islander
    January 08, 2016 - 20:56

Concerning to many is that under Currie over the last years our Education system has failed in every area. Now, Perry gets the boot and Curie is back to the Department that failed so miserably. Mr Premier is not upfront with us about this move. If he picked MLA Mundy first, than she should of had the opportunity for Education. I think we are dealing with a dictator. Time will tell

• Relax
      January 09, 2016 - 08:35

Relax - We are only getting what we asked for & it's just beginning . Robert will look good by the time this guy is done . LOL