Complaints roll in over changes to Charlottetown radio station hoedown

Jim Day

Loyal listeners are enraged by recent changes to the iconic radio program the Saturday Night Hoedown.

Technical glitches last week only added fuel to the fire.

Islanders have been tuning in for more than half a century to the weekly, three-hour radio program featuring classic country tunes and local funny man Jimmy the Janitor.

The jolting changes left many threatening to tune out.

CFCY received a good tuning from hundreds of fans disgruntled over changes including sending popular host Georga Dawn Moase packing to the show being pre-recorded, losing that special audience interaction as requests were called into the station.

Gone too last week was the regular playing of Mountain Dew by Grandpa Jones, viewed by the Hoedown faithful as the program’s theme song.

“CFCY has turned our legendary hoedown into a pre-recorded, automated farce,’’ says Corey Ramsay.

“Despite a public outcry on their Facebook page, there has yet to be any statement from the station regarding these major changes to the Saturday Night Hoedown.’’

CFCY is responding now.

Al Baldwin, the station’s operations manager, told The Guardian Thursday listeners have voiced their complaints in large numbers.

He says the station will address the concerns but would not give details.

“The whole situation is going to be addressed right off the top of the show Saturday night,’’ he says.

“You’ll have to tune in to find out.’’

Baldwin says when the station ran into technical issues during last week’s broadcast of the Saturday Night Hoedown, all hell broke loose.

The first 15 to 20 minutes of the show, including the Mountain Dew song, did not play.

CFCY has turned our legendary hoedown into a pre-recorded, automated farce. Corey Ramsay

Listeners have since been criticizing the program on social media and directly to the station.

“If there is something going on that they don’t like they let you know about it,’’ says Baldwin.

“We knew that we were going to have to do something.’’

He adds the listening audience for the program “is absolutely’s amazing how ingrained this show has become in the life of Islanders.’’

Longtime listener Wade Babineau urges the station to get back to a live show with a host that interacts with the audience.

“Let them play the country music that people request,’’ he adds.

Blair Dewar, 35, has listened to the Saturday Night Hoedown since he was a young lad.

“Nowadays radio programs like that are so few and far between,’’ he says.

Unfortunately, he feels the program has lost its personal touch over the past few weeks.

Now the owner of P.E.I.’s Homegrown Atlantic Radio and D.J.’s Services is set to take on the program with his own podcast.

Called the P.E.I. Homegrown Atlantic Hootenanny, the show will be available online Saturdays at 6 p.m. at

“If it catches on, we’re hoping to be able to broadcast it live,’’ he says.

Dennis King laments that CFCY has essentially killed the Saturday Night Hoedown.

“It is a terrible tragedy, but sadly just another blight too many of the masses will chalk up to progress and change,’’ he says.

“CFCY, and all private radio stations, used to matter. It was local. It was unique to the Island because it not only spoke to Islanders, it spoke the Island’s voice. The only voice that matters now is that of the shareholder.’’

Organizations: P.E.I. Homegrown Atlantic Hootenanny

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Iceland, D.J.

• susan
    October 01, 2016 - 17:55

I have a comment , this island known singer sings a song about this cardigan song about drinking a case of beer and his name is Eddie Quinn , i have no problem with the singer writing songs like his Cardigan song but the Hoe Down is a family show for families kids are hearing this show . And Eddie's song about the Cardigan song about drinking beer , is not a good example he is saying in his song that it is ok for people to drink , and as you know this island has alot of alcoholics it is not right to be advertising this type of song on a family show . I won;t listen to it because if a song is talking about sesualizing alcohol in this fashion . Eddie songs need to be directed at 18 and older for drinking songs and other singers too . The Hoe Down need to monitor lyrics more closely , if the Mangement dont; follow rules about drinking and smoking none of that making it sound like it is ok to do that , if you don;t monitor these singer's lyrics on a family show , i won;t listen to it and i will make sure my family my grand kids will not listen to it either . So the staff need to pay more attention to singer's island or others lyrics before playing to family listeners on the radio , that is why i am turned off against this type of show . it is a family prorgram not a bar . Just saying . Thank you for letting me comment , if you want more listeners tuning in , change the lyrics for the families young ones are hearing the radio you know . Do you want to give young kids your grand kids and other young kids the impression that drinking beer and pints of rum etc is ok and fun , no you don;t want more Alcoholics on this island . There is a Problem why advertise the fun of it when there is so many families affected. Eddie is a great Performer i am not against him , just the lyrics for family shows is not acceptable on the Radio . He can sing them at his adult shows . I don;t care where he sings them as long as there are not children to be taken the idea that drinking is ok and the more you drink the better it is . That is the message !!!! Please listen to lyrics first to make sure that the singer is not advertising that beer drinking and other drinks are acceptable , cuz we have to think of the kids listening in . I know people call in but they are not thinking of the young children. If they dont; start changing this lyrics songs to more Positive ones i won;t be listening in and i will make sure to tell people my kids to not listen to that because of the influnences . Pay more closely to writer's lyrics pleas and thank you .

• not happy islander
    January 09, 2016 - 01:56

working in alberta I listen to the saturday night hoe down every chance I get but know that they decided to change everything I'm not even going to bother tuning in to the station anymore, but as soon as they change it back I will be listening every saturday night 6-9.

• Really
    January 08, 2016 - 20:17

The Island now has Sunday Shopping, multiple TV channels, technology galore,, etc etc The one night you could turn everything off and get a taste of the good old days was the "Saturday Night Hoedown". And the kids and company even enjoyed it. At the campground everyone would just chill. People would get a thrill of emailing or calling in for a request or birthday ..cause you would surprise a family member. Re-think please and let the Island have 3 hours to enjoy and relax with George Dawn.

• bryan
    January 08, 2016 - 19:49

I have to agree strongly with Patrick. Fire him, also, We the Islanders are the shareholders, without us, YOU DONT have a radio station

• Doug
    January 08, 2016 - 19:18

Bring back the hoedown with Georgia Dawn and Grandpa Jones. Its a Island Tradition.If she would come back. Here here for Georgia Dawn. Great job girl over the years, proud of ya. A old neighbour.

January 08, 2016 - 16:15

id like to say u guys are messed up now with letting georgiadawn thanks alot

• Faye MacLeod
    January 08, 2016 - 15:01

Rumour has it, if you tune into Hot 105.5, this Saturday, you will hear Good Old Mountain Dew.

• Bearcat
    January 08, 2016 - 15:00

I for one turned the dial too off 95.1 shame shame ,I was listening too the hoedown for fifty od years. Terrible for older folks , I for one will tuned in to Blair dewar podcast home grown Atlantic . Shame on you 95.1

• Wayne rogerson
    January 08, 2016 - 14:15

Won't listen anymore...can Hear it all guys will try to be funny but aren't.will listen to Willies Roadhouse on XM radio...real DJS.Disgusted

• O. Trainor
    January 08, 2016 - 13:05

made a request which was automated at 6:30 pm on Dec.26. Came on on Jan.2 and had forgotten about it

• Maxine MacLennan
    January 08, 2016 - 11:20

As a PEI long time musician who has had several releases to Canadian Radio that have done very well and a musician who is still recording and writing ...I beleive that you should be playing more of PEI's wealth of talent! There are so many talented singers, writers and bands on PEI more of that when it fits the format....your listeners would love it. I get asked all the time why my music is not played ...bring back the morning march too ...time to get back to your roots and give your listeners what they want.

• Jimmy Buffet
    January 08, 2016 - 11:16

Its a terrible tragedy comparable to the blight of the Binns years . If Georga Dawn is not the voice on your program I will not be tuning in . Tell us now before you waste more of my time .

• S.E. Wood
    January 08, 2016 - 10:33

I am shocked and saddened to learn that "Saturday Night Hoedown" will no longer be on the air on Saturday night. I've grown up listening every Saturday evening, and as a soloist myself, have learned so many songs. Not only did I look forward to listening but after a long week at work or whatever, it brought me so much peace and happiness. Peoples' from all over PEI and the Maritimes listened to this amazing program & now to learn it will be no longer broadcast, it's obvious CFCY will loose a much larger group of listeners all over. It's obvious the listeners' do not matter. With much sadness, I sign off for the last time.

• Romeo
    January 08, 2016 - 10:27

Here in London On. They used to have a live morning tv news show. They cancelled it. I no longer have tv. I watch stuff on the internet and listen to radio stations.

• Ch'Town Metalhead
    January 08, 2016 - 09:36

That's okay, because country music SUCKS! I listen to House of Hair with Dee Snyder on Q93. Now, that's a rockin show! Haha! Finally, the END of country music! Someone finally stood up and threw Grandpa Jones under the bus. It's time to make the metal!

• Friendly Voices
    January 08, 2016 - 09:34

I notice the phrase "25 years go" has been used. I remember back in 1963 along with the late Whit Carter taking a turn or two and then along came J.P. Time sure flies.

• totally fed up with CFCY
    January 08, 2016 - 09:31

This radio station has been on a down-hill slide for a long time. It was great when Rebecca was there. The cutbacks and prerecordings started after her untimely departure. Now you hear the same "top forty" songs with too much Dean Brody and Gord Bamford music. I am all for hearing Canadian music but a bit of old country is nice to hear too. It is high time that this station started listening to the people. And by the way why can't they give the time at least once an hour and they could proudly say the are airing from beautiful Charlottetown, PEI. Give us back our once glorious radio station.

• MCC
    January 08, 2016 - 08:59

I guess by not addressing the issues in the Island's number one media outlet it' s probably a ploy to get people to tune in! Don't be fooled people the Hoedown is buried down on the farm.

• Patrick
    January 08, 2016 - 08:39

shows how out of touch the bean counters are with the paying public. In what way did they think the changes would be better? Only were thinking of their bottom line. whomever came up with the idea, should be fired and never to be allowed near the radio station again....

• James Taylor
    January 08, 2016 - 07:34

Where did the host of PEI's largest morning show audience go (Chris MacDonald)? I may be wrong but other than Al'svoice overs during the afternoon, isn't everything other than the morning show pre-recorded?

• Bob Butler
    January 08, 2016 - 07:15

" So let's see.. THIS program is loved just as it is.. has a huge audience..makes us money.. I know ! Let's change it and make it much worse ! " Pure genius at work.

January 08, 2016 - 06:49

Looks like The Bean Counters at Head Office got this one wrong...Trying to save money may cost you much more...Brilliant !!