Young man with P.E.I. ties loses life New Year's Day

GoFundMe site for the late Jesse Smith.

Jesse Alexander Smith, 24, died of an apparent drug overdose early New Year's Day, son of Don Smith of Canoe Cove

A Nova Scotia man with family connections to P.E.I. died of an apparent drug overdose early New Year's Day.

The funeral for Jesse Alexander Smith, 24, will be held Wednesday in Dartmouth, N.S.

Smith is the son of Don Smith of Canoe Cove, P.E.I. and Jodi Smith of Dartmouth.

Police say a Dartmouth man failed to get help for Smith when he took an overdose.

Jesse Raymond Gaetz, 23, is charged with criminal negligence causing death after Smith died in hospital.

Police were called to a home in Dartmouth at about 1:20 a.m. on Jan. 1, and later arrested Gaetz.

A GoGundMe page titled "In Loving Memory of Jessie Smith'' was set up on Saturday with a goal of raising $5,000. That goal was surpassed in less than 24 hours.

"Words are hardly adequate to measure the sorrow felt at your loss,'' one post reads.

"You (affected) everyone around you. Every time I saw you, there was a smile on your face. The world should be thankful that it had you in it, even for a short time.''

(With files from Metro Halifax)

Geographic location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• J
    January 06, 2016 - 09:08

My sympathy goes out to this young man's family. Obviously he was also celebrating the New Year;however, not in a safe manner. the concern should be, What can be done about the drug problem that is affecting so many of our young people?

• sad david
    January 06, 2016 - 04:02

pretty sad david ..a young man has passed at a time people are celebrating ,,,though all you can think to do is gripe like a heartless soul about gofundme sad sad sad ,,,,to the friends and family of this young man i am so sorry for you my heart goes out to you ,,,r.i.p.jesse

• david
    January 05, 2016 - 20:36

There needs to be some regulations put in place for these Go Fund Me Sites. What is the basis for having it when there are other services already available to cover many of the things they are raising money for and just what actually happens to the money once it is raised. There needs to some accounting rules and transparency rules put in place in regards to the spending of the funds also.

• Why?
      January 06, 2016 - 07:34

What business is it of yours? If you don't like the cause then don't donate money. Real simple.

• Go-fund-me, go-fund-me-not
      January 06, 2016 - 08:04

Agree! I'm sick of getting requests from those go-fund-me sites. Everybody has their hand stuck out for something.