Rob Lantz: An unconventional politician

Teresa Wright

Progressive Conservative leadership hopeful Rob Lantz chats with some of the residents of the Andrews of Stratford seniors’ facility during a campaign stop. Lantz is one of three people vying for leadership of the PC party.

The following is the first in a series of profiles of the three PC leadership contenders.
Click here for the profile on James Aylward
Click here for the profile on Darlene Compton

Why are you running for the leadership of the PC party?

Because I love Prince Edward Island, and I’ve been put in a position where I have the opportunity to make a difference, and I just could not justify letting the opportunity pass.

How do you plan to balance the budget while also maintaining services Islanders expect?

Government has to decide what its priorities are. I do not intend to make a wholesale cut and slash to the civil service, but there does need to be a strategy over time to reduce the size of the civil service, whether that’s through attrition or finding efficiencies. Also, we need to grow our way out of the deficit situation — economic development is going to be the key to improving our fiscal situation.

How do you propose to create more jobs and economic development in P.E.I.?

With falling oil prices, we’re getting a very skilled and experienced workforce returning to P.E.I., which is probably unprecedented. And if we can harness their skills and talent and experience, I think we need to view that as a big opportunity.

How do you think P.E.I. can meet the needs and pressures facing the health system with an aging population while also managing increased costs?

The health-care delivery model has been evolving to meet the needs of Islanders and our changing demographics, but there’s certain things I think we can do better. For example, collaborative health-care clinics. We need to continue to be innovative.

The rural-urban divide is often an issue that is raised during election campaigns. Is there a rural-urban divide in P.E.I.?

If you travel to rural communities, they certainly perceive there to be. There was this concept of one Island community, which was a misguided concept. I think that we can have thriving and independent communities all across Prince Edward Island, and I’ve talked about empowering those communities. I think municipal governance reform and land use policy has the greatest potential on P.E.I. to enable communities, to give them the opportunity to manage their own affairs, chart their own course, make their own decisions and give them the independence that they don’t feel they have.

Organizations: CBC, Charlottetown city council

Geographic location: P.E.I., Stratford, Charlottetown

• Bertha
    February 27, 2015 - 16:42

In terms of judgement, this is the man who picked a fight with the fry shack. In terms of standing up for Islanders, this is the man who said he'd talk to Homberg about the mess he made of the hotel--and a quick drive downtown will show you how well that worked out. Rob Lantz: Standing against the little guy.

• dj
    February 19, 2015 - 17:39

Mr. Lantz was endorsed by Basil Stewart!

February 19, 2015 - 12:37

I am assuming you will also profile the Green and the NDP Parties......

• John
    February 18, 2015 - 16:30

Lantz went to every table, chit-chatting easily with the residents, occasionally introducing himself as ‘Dr. Brodie Lantz’s son.’ Jeff you should be your own person not ride the coat tails of your father. Ghiz did this and we also see Justin Trudeau doing the same.

• Time to move along
    February 18, 2015 - 14:58

Refreshing to see a Politician say they will think for themselves and move this Island forward!

• Time to move along
    February 18, 2015 - 14:54

• Elections PEI question
    February 18, 2015 - 10:50

I see this morning Wade had David Dunphy out for coffee at Tim's. Dunphy had this on his Twitter feed. Interesting as he is still referred to as the Mayor of Stratford and has his Mayoral Chain on in his profile photo, but he clearly states he is having "Great conversation happening @StratfordPEI Tim Hortons @DavidDunphy #pei #peipoli" Is this not a conflict to be wearing the Mayoral Suit and shaking hands and kissing babies when he isn't even elected as the Provincial Liberal candidate for the area? Someone needs to start running against Wade's appointed candidates and take back the Liberal party before it is too late. I seriously believe we are going to see voters openly vote for candidates who will not be afraid to go independent to get out from under the Wade thumb. I am starting to think some of the good Liberals should look at running Tory.

• dj
      February 18, 2015 - 12:29

David,is only looking out for one person himself! Okay, maybe two Wade! If he, is voted in, it will be a serious judgment mistake on our part as voters! Same goes for Wade! The rich,get richer, the poor, get poorer, Birds of a feather, flock together!! You get me!

• Jimmy Buffet
    February 18, 2015 - 10:07

The article is very sketchy on his work experience . What does he do at Delta Ware , what is his education background ... reads more like a Tory newsletter then a newspaper story . What qualifies him to be a premier .

• thank you!
    February 18, 2015 - 09:36

Mr,lantz ,seems like a fine gentlemen and Ms, Comtpon also, is a fine lady! Mr, Mac Laughlin too,seems like an good man! I have vote in many elections in my ,69 years. I don't vote for a party but ,for the man or woman that makes the most sense to me! While the other three candidates are well spoken! I look more to what they don't say. I have been at three gathering that Mr, Alyward has attended,.. not political..and he spoke to everyone with respect ,right down to a youngest that had special needs, he didn't need to do that but,he did,which showed me what kind of man and politician he would make! As, I said I have voted with my head not my heart and I have been proud to do so! I voted NDP the last election and the time before that for Mr,Griz . .

• Dennis
    February 18, 2015 - 09:15

Rob is certainly a thoughtful, viable candidate, but I hope The Guardian is planning on spending the same amount of time and energy of a senior reporter to do promotional work for all other leadership candidates from all other parties. Otherwise - it looks a lot like a campaign donation.

• Jocelyne Lloyd
      February 18, 2015 - 10:07

Hi Dennis, As we note in the intro to the story, Teresa Wright has also spent the same amount of time and energy on bringing us stories on James Aylward and Darlene Compton. Those stories will appear in the coming days. Jocelyne Lloyd, web editor

• ALL other parties
      February 18, 2015 - 13:03

If "all other parties" only includes the other two PC candidates - then this is indeed a slanted story.

• unconventional?
    February 18, 2015 - 08:42

Seems pretty conventional to surround yourself with has been's like Basil Stewart and Roger Younker. I did vote for you at the advance poll, but I am actually wondering why I did... I thought you would actually bring new faces to your team. Sincerely, someone who should of voted differently

• Mark b.
    February 18, 2015 - 08:42

Rob will make an excellent leader and hopefully become the next premier. Honesty, integrity and a good track record in government..

• Shane
      February 18, 2015 - 10:44

I truly hope Rob will be given this opportunity, he has a lot of charisma and good intentions.