Jennifer Coughlin runs for NDP nomination in Cornwall-Meadowbank

Jennifer Coughlin

Former Easter Seals Ambassador Jennifer Coughlin is seeking the nomination of the NDP in  District 16, Cornwall-Meadowbank.

“I will work hard for the people of Cornwall-Meadowbank and all Islanders who are trying to make their voices heard in government,” said Coughlin.

A quadriplegic as a result of a childhood accident, Coughlin is a graduate of the business administration program at Holland College where she was voted “Most likely to become a millionaire” by her fellow students.

Coughlin was Easter Seals Ambassador in 2000.

She says she is motivated to run for office by the failure of past governments to properly serve and help people with physical and intellectual disabilities as well as people trying to live on low incomes.

Coughlin is the 10th person to come forward to run as a candidate for the New Democratic Party of Prince Edward Island.

She says she is impressed by Mike Redmond and the NDP team.

“I strongly support NDP policies like the living wage and the basic income guarantee. It is time for government to work for all the people and as the NDP MLA for Cornwall-Meadowbank I can help make that possible.”

Organizations: Holland College, NDP, New Democratic Party of Prince Edward Island

Geographic location: Cornwall-Meadowbank, Cornwall

• Gallant
    February 12, 2015 - 13:36

I have read the comments with interest. I think Guy Currie is misunderstanding what is being said here. Women have argued that they are not well represented, hell, the Fed. Gov. is supporting an organization for just the purpose of getting women into politics. Callbeck was lauded by Rotary as mentor of women trying to get into politics. A writers view that Jennifer may have something special to offer because of her personal situation should not be seen as a put-down. Bringing out that she is a woman and disabled does not preclude that she is not seen as having many other great attributes, but that she may have special insight to things because of her situation, that would be valuable at the table. The writers of these bloggs all seem to wish her well for what ever reason. I don't think you mean her as well as you try to portray. PS. The party she is running for have recently proclaimed a desire to have the same number of women as men.

• Guy Currie
    February 12, 2015 - 12:58

I have to applaud Jennifer for putting her name forward. Takes courage and I wish her the best in her campaign. The BIG issue I see here is in the comments: I wonder if we will ever get to a point where we don't need to address gender, age, or race when it comes to voting. It's very hard to have confidence in a political system where dumb peoples' vote carries equal value. When I hear people are voting for a person just because she's "female" rather than (1) what the person stands for, (2) what their values are, (3) what they have to offer... and perhaps what their experiences are...I want to HEAR this before I decide to vote! Someday I hope there's a written test people need to take before voting in order to weed out the dumb dumbs. If not, then perhaps we need to just join dumb dumb club. Using their logic, we then should join them by voting ALL female. I say let's give them a chance to mess everything up too. Because people will soon realize that it doesn't matter who you vote for - the system is broken!

• Idiot
      February 12, 2015 - 17:39

By the sounds of it you are the one who shouldn't be allowed to vote. What a moronic statement that we should "weed out" ANY voter. Go back under your rock.

• paul h
    February 12, 2015 - 12:01

hope you get it

• Anna
    February 12, 2015 - 11:28

Thank you for the chance, Jennifer, to vote for a women and for a person who share the fate of a special group in our society. I hope you will receive support from all walks of life and be a voice in the Legislature for many that otherwise would not be heard. Fellow voters, action is better than words, let us show we believe in inclusiveness.

• Patrcia
    February 12, 2015 - 09:09

Great Jennifer, - good on you. I appeal to the Advisory Council on the Status of Women to step up of the plate and show if they are for promoting women or staying on the sidelines to protect their 'bread' from the Liberal government.

• trevor
    February 12, 2015 - 08:44

Congratulation, Jennifer. Now I ask the people of this riding to elect this courageous women. Overlook the old attachment to other parties, to detach from selfish motives for electing the old parties. Set an example of being truly inclusive when you go to the polls. You be the riding that put action into words. You be the proud citizens of the riding that made history by electing a person with disability to part-take in decision making. You be the proud citizens -----

• Dawn
    February 12, 2015 - 08:36

Go Jennifer, go-

• george
    February 12, 2015 - 08:32

I hope people will give this candidate their consideration , I will support her for the sheer fact that she has the courage to put her name forward. Also because it is time we have REAL people at the table, and hear other voices than those from the patronage ridden old parties. I hope all the women involved with getting women into politics are lining up behind this women., with help and money. Here is a true mentoring project for Catherine Callbeck, - unless all the rhetoric from these quarters are geared only towards CERTAIN women and CERTAIN parties.