City, police want cars off streets in Charlottetown

Dave Stewart

With parking spaces still plugged with snow, motorists have been leaving their cars along the street. Police are warning drivers they risk being ticketed and towed by doing so.

The co-owner of a downtown Charlottetown business says police should be ticketing and towing cars.

Bill Watters of Northern Watters Knitwear said business owners, pedestrians and motorists are getting frustrated at how difficult it is getting to get around the city.

Late Wednesday morning, the City of Charlottetown announced a parking ban in the downtown for 48 hours in order to begin removing snow.

Anyone parking on streets risks getting a ticket and being towed.

The focus on Wednesday was on the narrower streets, such as sections from Kirkwood Drive to Water Street and Edward Street to West Street.

Many people were parking parallel to the snow banks on city streets on Wednesday and there were a few vehicles that were impeding traffic and pedestrians.

“People think they can park in the middle of the roads and leave their vehicles, that’s the problem,’’ Watters said. “The city should have tow trucks around here and they should be pulling these people. The city can’t do their work.’’

Many streets, already tight with snow in the parking metered spaces, were reduced to one lane because vehicles were parked on either side of the street.

Sue Smith, co-owner of The Comic Shop on Queen Street, said she agrees with the parking ban.

“I don’t see how it can be a bad thing right now because if people are parked there they can’t clean it,’’ Smith said. “There is nowhere to park anyway. If you come downtown and try to park you’re just going to be obstructing traffic.’’

Smith said she wasn’t worried that the parking ban would hurt business.

“I’ve been busy all day. My customers can walk,’’ she laughed. “Mind you, I don’t want it to stay like this. I would prefer for it to be cleaned.’’

The parking ban was drawing lots of comments on Twitter Wednesday.

“Decided to work from home for this exact reason,’’ said @jmweb.

“I have sympathy for people who struggled to find parking today, but the situation won’t improve if removal crews cannot work,’’ said @jmlane.

Another man said the city should concentrate on removing snow at night.

“Clearing snow should happen from 9 p.m.-6 a.m. with cars off the streets,’’ said @PEI_Plumber. “Daytime clearing is foolish, IMO.’’

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Water Street, Edward Street West Street Queen Street Reserve Street Pond Street

• Kinda Amuzed
    February 05, 2015 - 08:18

60+cm of snow... All I can see right now is a bunch of complainers that see a problem and decide not to do anything productive to resolve it. They would rather waste their time writing down their complaints that are just falling on deaf ears. Find a solution... Like 'City Resident' said, "park at the mall, the Sobeys in Stratford, the Save Easy in Cornwall"... If you do carpool, the issue of where would park is pretty evident... There is only one car traveling into the town instead of 4, there is only one car parking at a parkade instead of 4...Adds up pretty quick. Call a cab... I feel sorry for downtown Charlottetown business if this is the type of personality that's employed down there... Couldn't be too productive, just lots of bitchin' and whinin'

• Andrew
    February 05, 2015 - 07:46

"I live downtown and I can tell you for a fact that the city is clearing streets while you're tucked all warm in your bed for the night. I'm so tired of everyone talking about the lack of night time snow clearing. It's being done" I live downtown and I saw lots of union public workers day and night when there was a little snow now I don't see anyone. I cant walk because sidewalks are full of snow. I cant remove snow from my sidewalk because it is union contract. Where are the workers ? Where are the union of public workers ?

• Correct
    February 05, 2015 - 06:28

That is correct. It is NOT rocket science. We have had snow before and every single time we have had this much snow parking on the street was prohibited. If the Island school system wasn't such a failure people might have had the brains to not park on the streets without having to be told not to.

• Unamused
    February 04, 2015 - 21:17

What I find most distressing about this snowfall is the lack of workers the city employs. With PEI producing staggering unemployment rates, perhaps OUR tax dollars can stop funding Liberal getaways to Egypt, 2 million dollar fireworks, and kissing the Royals asses ( which I believe was counterproductive as we embarrassed and insulted them) and spend the money creating jobs! With the money our provincial government has wasted, there is no excuse for the city to be in this kind of shape this long after a storm. Hire some of the unemployed to a fair salary and get them to clear this snow, and countless other tasks that we DESERVE. Vote this Liberal government the hell out!

• Get Over Yourselves
    February 04, 2015 - 18:47

I live downtown and I can tell you for a fact that the city is clearing streets while you're tucked all warm in your bed for the night. I'm so tired of everyone talking about the lack of night time snow clearing. It's being done. I hear them, I see them, there incessant beeping keeps people up at night, but they are out there doing their job. They may not have enough equipment to do it all in one night which is another issue all together, but it is being done!

• City Resident
    February 04, 2015 - 18:44

TAKE THE BUS............ Use the Charlottetown T3 Transit. You can park for FREE at the Charlottetown Mall and hop on a bus for $2.25. Mall to downtown every 15 minutes. WOW. Can't go wrong there. Park at Sobeys in Stratford and hop on there. Same price. Park at Cornwall Save-Easy and hop on there. Same price. No additional cost to transfer en-route. Check it out at

• KC
    February 04, 2015 - 18:30

In Halifax the parking ban starts at 1am until 6am, this is the time to do the cleaning... it doesn't make since to clean the roads during the day, people work, shop and need to get around. It is also unfair to ticket those who are not aware of the ban. - helpful resource

• Great city planning
    February 04, 2015 - 18:15

Why would the city wait until late this morning after everyone was already at work to implement this restriction? What do they expect everyone to do, leave work and go home? The parkades were full. As many others have stated the bus doesn't run near my neighbourhood and none of the sidewalks are clear so it's not like it's safe to walk. As far as carpooling goes, where do they expect the carpool car to park? Not to mention the fact that I don't know anyone that works in the same area during similar hours. I realize that it is an unusual situation and that some patience and extraordinary solutions may be necessary. However, that means well thought out decisions, not knee jerk responses. Clear the snow from the school areas during the day and do the downtown core in the evening and overnight! It's no rocket science and not like we've never had snow like this before!

• Service tech
    February 04, 2015 - 18:07

The city should hire back some of those EI abusers to clean up the sidewalks. They spend most of the summer leaning on the shovels, now would be a good time the scrape the paint off them.

• Petty
    February 04, 2015 - 16:55

It was ridiculously petty of the City to make this call around noon-time, and then immediately send out their miserable meter maids to start ticketing cars. The ban should have been in place with advanced notice. Policy on the fly.... the island way.

• stupidity on the fly
      February 05, 2015 - 06:25

If people are too stupid to realize that there are snow removal efforts ongoing then they deserve to get towed and pay fines.

• RJ
    February 04, 2015 - 12:30

What great planning this is! Perhaps this should have been announced last night? What folks are doing is for the most part entirely the "norm" for this city and to change the rules on the fly and start towing peoples cars while they are at work is just wrong ! At least the city will make some money which can be put towards snow removal. P.S. The downtown core looks exactly the same as it did last night at Ten PM.

• where to park
    February 04, 2015 - 12:08

all the parkades are all full so where would you like us to park

• jim
    February 04, 2015 - 12:01

Should not be any question about it at all . Just hook them up and tow them .Some people on my street park their cars on the street in front of their driveways to avoid having the plow fill the end of their driveway. Enforce the overnight parking ban and there wouldnt be a problem.

• LA
    February 04, 2015 - 11:46

Necessary evil. It will only be prolonged if they can't get at the piles.

• matt172
    February 04, 2015 - 11:43

I actually just DUG OUT a parking spot for myself while on lunch break, got back and read this news. My car is not in the street, it's tucked into its own little personal spot dug out of the snowbank. Hopefully that's not going to be a problem. I can understand them towing vehicles which are literally parked in/on the road surface, but I am right up against the sidewalk in a proper parking spot, so I assume I should be safe--if not, I'm going to be pretty angry later on.

• therod
      February 04, 2015 - 12:18

Unless you have mounted the curb you are still parked on the street.

• iWork Downtown
    February 04, 2015 - 11:28

This is stupid.... Way to go Charlottetown, proving once again that Islanders still live in the Stone Age when compared to rest of the country. I manage an office downtown with 45+ employees, on a good day we have parking issues, this makes it pretty well impossible for our staff. Every parkade in town is full and there is 0 on street parking. I fully understand why people are parking where they are and City Police should let them. I would be sorry to be the Meter Maid that was ticketing my vehicle, or the tow truck driver hooking up my vehicle today thats all I am saying. There is a reason why city's that know what they are doing do their street cleaning in the overnight.....

• you should move
      February 04, 2015 - 12:53

Hey Iwork ..... The City is doin an awesome job ... Saint John declared a state of emergency .... if you dont like it .... MOVE ... i feel sorry for the ppl that you "manage" with that kind of attitude .... where are ya parked ... i will save the city some $$$ and come tow you myself ...

• Fed up
    February 04, 2015 - 11:16

Get out at night and clear the streets! Some of us are unable to walk any distance to our work....buses don't run close by or at the right times...what a ridiculous thing to expect from people!?! Park axes way off from some offices...not to mention the cost! Car pool?!? And where does THAT car park?!?

• More Fed Up
      February 04, 2015 - 13:47

I'm fed up with whiney Islanders bitching about every single thing that affects them or doesn't even affect them. Shut the hell up and move your car. People have work to do and they don't have time for petty bitching.

• huh
      February 04, 2015 - 16:35

I know some folk shudder at the fact that any expectations whatsoever be placed on them, but the reality is, 65 cms of snow fell in less than 24 hours.. There will be some inconvenience involved as its cleaned up. I have no doubt that plow operators were on the go all night long. Yeah, I get it. Today's society is appalled whenever any inconvenience is imposed upon them. Somebody must be at fault! They should pay! Suck it up princesses.