Gail Shea to discuss political future with family over the holidays

Eric McCarthy

Egmont MP and Fisheries minister says she will announce intentions early in new year

Gail Shea posted this photo on Facebook from her recent Christmas social.

TIGNISH — The Christmas holidays loom large for Egmont Member of Parliament and Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea.

In a year-end interview, Shea said she plans to take some down time during the holidays and have a discussion with her family about her political future.

“At some point in the future, probably early in the new year, I will be ready to make an announcement on what my plans are for 2015,” said Shea who has been a federal cabinet minister ever since becoming a Member of Parliament in 2008.

Shea admitted there are plenty of things to discuss, including time away from family, before making her decision.

Reminded that her announcement is likely of interest to Conservatives who might be interested in seeking the Egmont seat if she chooses not to run, the Fisheries and Oceans minister pointed out the nomination process has not yet opened up.

The process, she suggested, has been complicated by what’s happening on the provincial scene, with Liberal and Progressive Conservative leadership conventions happening in February and the likelihood of a provincial election in the spring of 2015.

“There will be a lot of political activity, and you certainly don’t want to confuse voters of who is running where,” she said.

Shea expressed confidence the federal election in 2015 will be happening in October. She’s not subscribing to political pundits’ speculation that the election date might be advanced to the spring of 2015 to avoid potential political backlash from the Mike Duffy trial.

“I don’t see that; I haven’t heard any talk about it. All I’ve ever heard from our party and from the Prime Minister is that the election is set for October, 2015,” she emphasized.

She did acknowledge that 2015 is shaping up to be a busy year for provincial and federal politics in P.E.I.

While she is remaining on-the-fence about her future in federal politics, Shea did make it abundantly clear she will not be seeking the leadership of the P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party.

“I have given thought to that. I’ve been asked by a number of people to consider running for the provincial leadership, but I’ve declined,” she said. “I wasn’t interested.”

As for throwing her support behind a leadership candidate, “I really will not do that, because I have to work with whoever wins the leadership,” she said. “I will do what I can to support whoever wins, but I will not be backing any particular leadership candidate.”

Organizations: P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party

• Billy
    December 20, 2014 - 09:04

She will be the best senator pei will ever have!

• Observer
    December 19, 2014 - 13:29

The bleeding heart liberals who are bad mouthing Gail, would not know a good politician if they ran into one! Take a look at all the money that Gail through Harper, has brought to West Prince and the rest of the Island during her term in office! Those liberal commentators and the other dumb Island voters keep voting and sending the present "Three Liberal Stooges" to Ottawa; and will most likely do the same again!

• ron wilton
    December 19, 2014 - 13:11

By all means Gail, family first. No doubt they miss you and will make your remaining years fulfilled. We in BC whose salmon rivers have been vilely contaminated by your foreign fish farm benefactors will be more than happy to see you finally and thankfully get out of politics. You will not be missed.

• Get out or chucked out
    December 19, 2014 - 11:47

It should be a easy decision for Gail Shea, (Do I leave on my own ) or do you get red faced after the next federal election and wonder why you were defeated,you are ready for the golden pension do I need to explain any further.

• Angus
    December 19, 2014 - 08:57

It is hilarious to see silly Islanders on here b!tching and moaning about Gail Shea and Harper - yet they and their polticians run to them every time they are in trouble. Why don't they run to Trudeau? Oh yeah - he's not in power and has no policy for that anyway. Will the electorate make the same mistake again on PEI and have only 1 MP representing them in the government Caucus after Harper wins? Some of them are certainly stupid enough to do it. And then there'll be more whining.

• tutu
    December 19, 2014 - 08:24

Any Harper party MP is of absolutely no use to this country or PEI. Shea has not done her job of making sure our oceans and wild fisheries are sustainable. Political parties that don't allow their MPs to actually work for their constituency are killing democracy in Canada. The Harper party being the worst of the worst.

• SO SAD
      December 19, 2014 - 16:10

What have my liberal mps done, nothing and what has your fisheries mla done for you.You get what you deserve.

December 19, 2014 - 08:23

As suggested in a previous comment, RESIGN Gail while you have a chance otherwise the voters are going to vote you out...if Harper was smart, he would have resigned as PM in the fall and let the new PM take the fall of losing...just like what Mulroney did (Kim Campbell) and Trudeau did (John Turner).

• upwest proud
    December 19, 2014 - 06:33

the best MP and Minister ever from PEI and the first island woman ever to be in the federal cabinet, we are so proud of you Gail, would really love to see you put the other fella from up here in his place!

• Lou
      December 19, 2014 - 08:11

Really? I guess people of Prince Edward Island don't mind that she didn't raise a peep when VAC offices were closed too. Having a Harper puppet in cabinet who claps when ordered is not exactly great service to the province.

• SlyFox
      December 19, 2014 - 09:27

@Lou-And how is this different from the puppets from other parties?

• upwest proud
      December 19, 2014 - 09:51

really, Gail has worked very hard on behalf of all islanders, she has brought so many funding initiatives to our province it would take a book to list them all, finally allowed fairness for rural EI recipients, allowed for older fishers to retire, increased the GasTaxFund for small island communities, increased the transfers to the province, and the list goes on. It is easy for the people who whine about everything to criticize people who actually contribute to society, Gail is one who has made a difference, I hope you can say the same about what you are doing.

• You forgot...
      December 19, 2014 - 15:16

You forgot to add how gutlessly she walked out of voting when the EI changes that hurt Islanders were voted on. You just keep on kidding yourself. She is nothing but a useful idiot for harper.