Fire at Burger King in Charlottetown under investigation

Maureen Coulter
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Charlottetown firefighters respond to a fire at Burger King on University Avenue Wednesday. The fire was reported around noon, with flames shooting through the roof. The fire was quickly knocked down, said the department.

The Charlottetown Fire Department responded to a call at 12:35 p.m. of flames coming up through the roof at Burger King on University Avenue on Wednesday.

A grease fire had gone up through the exhaust, then into the roof. The fire in the kitchen was extinguished by the time the fire trucks arrived.

Employees had evacuated the building and firefighters had the flames in the cooking exhaust system extinguished within five minutes.

"We are just following up now to make sure there was no extension of the fire," said deputy fire chief Tim Mamye.

Mamye said there will be a cleanup done for the inside, not as a result of the fire but from the activation of the sprinkler system.

It was more of a housekeeping issue, said Mamye about the possible cause of the fire.  

 

Organizations: Burger King, Charlottetown Fire Department, University Ave

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Big Joe
    November 06, 2014 - 09:18

    Now I know what they mean when they say flame broiled burgers

  • DYlan
    November 05, 2014 - 15:56

    glad to hear my fave buger resto is ok,,, dylan

    • Your Fave
      November 05, 2014 - 17:43

      You should ask your "fave burger resto" why they are not cleaning their kitchen. Grease fires happen because of build up and lack of sanitation.

    • dYlan
      November 05, 2014 - 18:43

      listen Your Fave thats none of my buisness! i jsut eat there its delish i like the added flavor from the grease its nice,,,

    • Phil Colins
      November 05, 2014 - 20:22

      I'm with Dylan Nothing like a nice greasy cheeseburger I like A&Ws onion rings better though