Lot 30 restaurant closes as owner moves west

Jim Day

Producer Richard Davies, left, and chef Gordon Bailey combine to make lamb at Lot 30 one of the truly special dining experiences of the Prince Edward Island culinary scene.

Lot 30, one of P.E.I.’s most celebrated restaurants, has closed its doors after years of serving standout meals inspired by quality produce, meat and seafood from local sources.

Chef Gordon Bailey earned a loyal clientele and steady rave reviews since opening the restaurant on Kent Street in Charlottetown in June 2008.

In 2012, Maclean’s named Lot 30 No. 45 in the magazine’s first-ever Canada’s Best Restaurants feature.

Bob Gray, who has reviewed numerous Island restaurants for The Guardian, wrote last year that Bailey’s restaurant most often serves as the answer to the question, “Where’s the best place to eat here?’’

Bailey cooked up his final meals last Thursday night at Lot 30 on what proved to be an emotional evening for the easily recognizable tattooed chef with the thick beard.

The chef’s original plan was to come to P.E.I. for a year or two to do a little cooking before moving on elsewhere.

He opened Day Boat in 2005, then started the Urban Eatery in the Confederation Court Mall before opening Lot 30.

The restaurant proved to fulfil the dream of Bailey and his wife, Traci, to operate a top-notch restaurant serving the finest food in a great atmosphere.

So, the couple ended up sticking around.

Now Bailey and Traci, who have been living in Stratford, will be heading home to Manitoba in late November with plans to open Lot 30 West in four to six months.

“The name still means a lot to me,’’ said Bailey. “I want to keep it the same. We already have a brand.’’

Bailey said a number of people have shown an interest in taking over the restaurant, but he would never sell the name.

“I could definitely do another restaurant on P.E.I. in the years to come,’’ he added.

“We’ve had such great local supporters.’’

Organizations: The Guardian, Urban Eatery

Geographic location: P.E.I., Kent Street, Charlottetown Canada Stratford Manitoba

Comments

Comments

• Brent
    December 01, 2014 - 18:03

Great restaurant, but regrettably, Mr Bailey left town without honouring gift certificates for which he received cash. Not impressive at all. Actually, dishonest.

• Pamela
      December 17, 2014 - 20:19

Brent- this happened to me as well- I have a gift certificate for which I was promised a refund that was never issued. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and would suggest you do the same- good luck!

• Kim Bulman
      January 28, 2015 - 23:51

I also have a gift certificate. Who do I contact about getting a refund

• Skipped Town
      March 31, 2015 - 12:41

“I could definitely do another restaurant on P.E.I. in the years to come,’ …once everyone forgets I left owing them money."

• Susan Burgess
    November 06, 2014 - 07:17

Lot 30 was an amazing place, great food, great atmosphere, great service, made you feel at home and Gordon and Traci are two of the most fantastic people I have had the privilege to meet and get to know, will miss seeing them when I go to PEI and will miss the restaurant and all the people who made every experience so wonderful, wishing them the best of luck in their new adventures.

• Mojito's & Keith's
    November 05, 2014 - 17:36

Thank you for the beautiful food that was experienced in your restaurant over the years. Thank you to the wonderful staff for making the experience even more enjoyable. We are sad beyond sad! Maybe someday we will get to visit Lot 30 West. Enjoy your new adventure. Best regards.

• Eater
    November 05, 2014 - 16:53

I would have thought a restaurant with that much recognition would branch out and franchise rather than close down one to open another in a different province. I just can't see why he couldn't have moved out west and left somebody else in charge while coming back to the island a couple times a year. I probably don't know the whole story.

• Business
      November 05, 2014 - 17:46

You don't know much about the restaurant business obviously. Gordon was the restaurant. You don't franchise fine dining.

• Our Loss
    November 05, 2014 - 16:07

Our loss...Manitoba's gain. Godspeed in your new venture. You and your restaurant will be missed.

• Bonnie Brazier
    November 05, 2014 - 11:28

You were wonderful to me when I needed you to get a gift certificate to my son and wife for their anniversary - you delivered it to their door. I will never forget that personal service. Everyone I recommended eat at your establishment (and there were many) loved it. You will be dearly missed on the island. Wish you the best of luck in your new endeavour. Hope you return to the "cradle on the waves".

• The Observer from Stratford
    November 05, 2014 - 11:25

Many good meals and memories for me at Lot 30. Thanks Gordon for elevating PEI dining. I still miss Dayboat! Come back someday or send us a protégé,

• Black Fox Manor Inn
    November 05, 2014 - 10:43

Gordon, you will be missed! Good luck! The boys from Black Fox Manor

• Pebbles McNeill
    November 05, 2014 - 08:56

Huge loss for "foodies" in Charlottetown. You will be missed. Best of luck in the future!!

• Unruly Canuck
    November 05, 2014 - 08:52

Too bad. I'm from PEI, (now living in NB), and I never got a chance to eat there. I was hoping to check it out. Charlottetown is a good area to start a business and get a feel for what works and what doesn't. The long-term plan was not so stay permanently. Charlottetown's loss is Winnipeg's gain.

• tom ogden
    November 05, 2014 - 07:08

All the best, Gordon and Traci. You've done a lot for PEI and I hope we'll be able to welcome you back here someday.

• Richard and Anne Watts
      November 05, 2014 - 17:47

We always loved going to your restaurant, every meal was to die for!! You will be missed !! Good luck in the future!!