John Ward was man whose body was found in Stratford in May

John Ward

The P.E.I. RCMP has identified the body of a man found in Stratford in May as John Stephen Ward, 60, of Charlottetown.

The P.E.I. Coroner’s Office has determined that he died of exposure.

Ward, who used to own the Bookman used-books store in Charlottetown, went missing around Christmas time, and friends said at the time it was unusual for him to be out of touch for so long.

RELATED: Police seek help to locate Charlottetown man

RELATED: Body found in Stratford

On May 15, Queens District RCMP were called when a body was discovered in a wooded area in the town of Stratford.

"Medical testing to determine his identity and the cause of death as well as ensuring Mr. Ward’s family was properly notified has taken some time to complete," says a statement from RCMP.

Foul play has been ruled out in Ward's death.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Stratford, Charlottetown, P.E.I. Coroner

Comments

Comments

• Alisha
    August 27, 2014 - 20:26

How many people go missing on the island and how many dead bodies pop up? Could the police not connect the dots?

• Stan Hope
    August 24, 2014 - 12:24

I did not know Mr. ward personally however I felt like I knew him for years.John was a fixture around Charlottetown for a long long time and I know he had a love of not only print but music as well ... RIP Mr. Ward.

• Deidre
    August 23, 2014 - 21:16

Such a sad story. Hopefully this is some relief for friends and family. RIP

• Steve
    August 23, 2014 - 07:09

Every time I get home, I make a point of dropping into both Bookman to see what might have surfaced in the way of out-of-print Island titles. One time, my young son was with me while I paid for our purchases. John turned away for a moment, dug around in a big box, and presented my son with a nice old volume of kid's stories. Thank you, John, for this kindness to a young reader. You'll definitely be remembered and missed.

• Leah
    August 22, 2014 - 16:55

Sad to hear of John 'a passing he was a very kind hearted man. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Really??????????
    August 22, 2014 - 16:49

"At the time, police told The Guardian that the body didn't match any records of missing people." This is a level of incompetence that brings in to question every case and every crime our so called police force ever handles.

• Argh!!!!
      August 23, 2014 - 19:50

@realy. I know. They filed several missing persons reports. But talking to one if the people that filed they had trouble as they were friends His friends have even had a kijiji link up for months if anyone saw him. But of course the RCMP knows that obviously. No record of missing persons my ass

• Professional response
    August 22, 2014 - 16:39

Very professional approach by the RCMP...on this matter.Obiviously DNA was used .This and their handling of the murder gives me confidence in this force. A difficult job at times.Having lived across Canada in many jurisdictions they have been the most responsive to policing responsibilities I have encountered

• P.E.I., bound.
      August 22, 2014 - 21:29

I think people are so used of having a conclusion in an hour.it does take a lot of time.