© Guardian photo
Western Hospital in Alberton
A lack of physician coverage is forcing the emergency department at Western Hospital in Alberton to close this Sunday.
The ER will be closed Sunday, Aug. 24 beginning at 8 a.m. for a 24-hour period and will reopen Monday, Aug. 25 at 8 a.m.
nyone with urgent medical needs should call 911 or seek emergency services at Prince County Hospital in Summerside or the nearest emergency department.
People experiencing the following symptoms should present to an ER:
• discomfort or tightness in the chest
• unusual shortness of breath
• abdominal pain
• prolonged and persistent headache or dizziness
• an injury that may require stitches or involve a broken bone
• a child with prolonged diarrhea or vomiting
• a baby under six months of age with fever of 38°C (100.4°F) or higher.
In non-urgent situations, Islanders should visit their family physician or nurse practitioner or go to a walk-in clinic. A list of clinics is available on the Health P.E.I. website.