Crown wants to try teen as adult in Charlottetown murder case

File photo of police investigating the stabbing death of a Charlottetown man in July.

The Crown wants a 17-year-old woman to by tried as an adult in the stabbing death of a Charlottetown man last month.

Crown attorney Valerie Moore voiced her intention in provincial court Thursday morning to seek an adult sentence.

The teen is charged with first-degree murder. Her case has been adjourned until Sept. 11 for election.

The accused has consented to remain in custody in Summerside.

Family of both the victim and the accused were in court Thursday. Restrained by hand cuffs and leg shackles, the accused sat quietly as she received words of encouragement and support from family members.

“Be strong,’’ one person called out.

The teen has been charged in the death of 45-year-old Kent David Gallant of Charlottetown.

An autopsy determined Gallant died from a stab wound to the chest on July 11 in the capital city.

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Summerside

Comments

Comments

• Gene
    August 24, 2014 - 13:21

No one can honestly say a thing or judge anyone until they have heard both sides and all the facts. This is not a Nazi state or should we look twice at that giving all that is going on in the world.

• Offspring
    August 22, 2014 - 09:37

"Hey don't pay no mind You're under 18 you won't be doing any time Hey come out and play" In this day and age, 17 is plenty young enough to be tried as an adult. Plus, most kids KNOW that if they commit crimes under the age of 18, that they will most likely get off easy. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

• Tess
    August 22, 2014 - 07:33

It's so nice to see all these people who are judging this girl without knowing both sides, I think there is way more to the story then we know and I hope justice is found for her just as much as for him

• Saddened.....
      August 22, 2014 - 10:28

I feel people are not seeing this girl for what she is and that is, a human being. She is not a monster who went out that night intending to take a life. I am so sorry for both families dealing with this tragedy, as that is what it is, and pray they find peace. There is a story to be told and it will come out. Until then, please be kind and remember she is someone's daughter, sister, granddaughter and friend. A life has been taken but hers will never be the same either so to wish terrible things for her is a wish from an emotional heart not a rational brain. God bless all involved.

• Lloyd
    August 22, 2014 - 06:34

My question is. Why did she kill him? What did he do to her to deserve to die? Maybe we should know the facts before finding her guilty. If she did it for no reason she deserves the max.

• townie2
    August 22, 2014 - 04:55

first degree murder usually means it was planned, if she is old enough to plan a murder.....

• Bobby
    August 22, 2014 - 04:44

Seventeen is old enough to know that taking a knife and plunging it into somebody else is wrong. Heck, my six year old knows that is wrong. So I don't think the age of the accused should come into question here. However, I think most of us on here posting comments do not know the total story here.....and until we do, we should not be armchair judges here. If the victim was threatening the accused then there may be just cause for what she did and she would deserve a lesser sentence. If this was a case of cold blooded and calculated murder then she deserves to be punished at the full of the law. I know that we as Islanders are sick of the weak sentences handed out to those who commit serious crimes, but I do believe in hearing all the facts in any case before judgement is made.

• Concerned
    August 22, 2014 - 00:04

She is a child, not an adult. I think they should try her as a TEEN seeing as that is what she is. As well I wish for both family's to find peace in whatever choice is made. I hope the best for her, personally. Finally, people please know that the story goes much deeper than led on so kindly for the sake of everyone's day do not disagree with their proper OPINIONS.

• Northside fisher
    August 21, 2014 - 15:41

Well by no means a professional but let those who are do their thing. But she is not an adult. She is 17. So why should she be tried as one. Dosent really make sence to me. Everyone has good and bad points and is very unfortunate for all family's on both sides but I'm sure the whole story is a lot deeper than we can possibly imagine. Just pray for a fair verdict and. For the family's. After last night and the last few months what's this island/ maritimes coming too.

• don
      August 21, 2014 - 19:27

sounds like you want a murder to go free or t least a few days in jail. what if it was your wife,son,daughter that she stabbed to death? she knew what she was doing. so murder is murder no mater what he age. and as GOD said in the 10 commandments "thou shall NOT kill" it does not say an age limit.

• Katie
      August 21, 2014 - 20:30

Do you think something magically happens on someone's 18th birthday that makes them realize that murder is wrong? At 17 she can make up her mind as to whether or not murdering someone in cold blood is right or wrong. She should ABSOLUTELY be charged as an adult and I hope they give her the max sentence.

• little don
      August 21, 2014 - 22:00

donnie boy it sound like you want to try and convict everyone yourself. Judge jury and executioner. Typical of the basement dwelling troll species.

• Northside fisher
      August 21, 2014 - 23:36

No I don't think she should get off. But given a fair trial. Do we know if she was raped. Or molested. Or was it just a cruel act. We don't know so as I said let the proffesionals do there job. I hope she gets what she deserves but I'm not sure what that is. Not a "know it all ". Like some seem to think they are

• enough already
    August 21, 2014 - 15:11

Well Really she is seventeen, killed a guy and is charged with murder I am sure we will hear a few bad things about her in the near future!

• Northside fisher
      August 21, 2014 - 23:31

So pending on the crime. Should a 19 or 20 year old be tried as a youth??

• don
    August 21, 2014 - 14:54

Dave. how would feel if the person that was MURDERED in cold blood was your brother,son? it is people like you that would set her free and supply more knives. just remember your tears for this MURDER should it happen to your family.

• Dave
    August 21, 2014 - 13:59

Wow. I guess we should throw away the key. @don & @enough have this case all wrapped up!

• enough already
    August 21, 2014 - 13:27

Words of support for the family members .It will be alright dear your only a kid , you have lots of time to kill again even if you go to jail for 3 years. Never a word about the victim who I have never heard a bad word about .

• Really?
      August 21, 2014 - 13:51

That's interesting because I know this girl and I have never heard a bad word about her and I know him and have never heard a good word about him. There are two sides to EVERY story, including this one.

• Wrong
      August 21, 2014 - 14:51

There are actually 3 sides to every story. Your side, their side, and the right one.

• so sad
      August 21, 2014 - 15:50

Really? You don't know him the man is dead,have some respect for the dead.

• don
    August 21, 2014 - 12:49

a murder is a murder does not mater what the age. charge them as an adult. they took a life that can not be replaced and she should be in jail for life and a day.