Graphic abortion images concern Charlottetown parents

Dave Stewart

Amanda Livingston is outraged a member of the anti-abortion group Show the Truth handed her young daughter a graphic image that depicts a fetus aborted at 10 weeks.

Parents in the north end of Charlottetown say they are sickened that an anti-abortion group would hand out graphic images to children.

Amanda Livingston, who lives in the West Royalty neighbourhood, says she was literally sick to her stomach Wednesday morning after her 10-year-old daughter was handed a graphic picture by a man on the street, showing a fetus aborted at 10 weeks.

Livingston was in her house when her daughter rushed in to show what she had been given.

Members of the national anti-abortion group Show the Truth were handing the images out to people in protest of a conference at UPEI today and Friday called Abortion: The Unfinished Revolution. The conference deals with a number of topics on the controversial issue.

“The kids came in and they said a Chinese man wearing a hat and dark clothing gave them this,’’ Livingston said, pointing to the graphic image, “and was told to ‘Give it to mom’.

“I couldn’t believe it. I was choked up, I was sick to my stomach. I was like ‘Is this a joke? Is someone playing a joke on me’? It was just so disturbing. I have never seen pictures like that in my entire life.’’

Steve Forbes, another West Royalty resident, said he and his wife are very upset.

“It is grotesque and I believe intended to have shock value,’’ Forbes said. “While my wife was attending to my youngest daughter, my eight-year-old son answered the door, within earshot and with permission, and was handed one of these flyers.

“Needless to say, he has been shocked and traumatized by the images and it has fostered all kinds of questions that are, in our view, premature for his age.’’

The P.E.I. Right to Life group was quick to respond when word circulated about what Show the Truth was doing.

Holly Pierlot, president of P.E.I. Right to Life, said Show the Truth is a separate organization from theirs and uses tactics that “we don’t employ’’ but has its own right to speak.

Pierlot issued a news release. When The Guardian asked for an interview, Pierlot replied she would only respond by email.

Pierlot said they did not invite the group to P.E.I.

“We knew they were coming,’’ Pierlot said in an email to The Guardian. “We had dialogued with many other pro-life groups across Canada, including Show the Truth, when the international abortion conference (at UPEI) was first scheduled.’’

Pierlot said they have no control over strategies Show the Truth uses to display “the horrors of abortion, nevertheless, perhaps such graphic displays will impress upon Islanders the gravity of what is being proposed for P.E.I.’’

The Guardian asked Pierlot if she thought handing graphic images to children was appropriate.

“First of all, I am not aware that they are handing images out to children, so I can’t comment on that,’’ Pierlot said. “Generally, P.E.I. Right to Life recognizes the difficult nature of graphic images because they speak a horrible truth and that can cause discomfort.’’

Livingston said she’s been struggling with questions her daughter is asking about the graphic image.

“I just feel like a terrible parent because I didn’t sit there and explain it to her but I’m not ready to do that,’’ Livingston said.

The 31-year-old mother said she is pro choice but acknowledges the group’s right to get its point of view across but draws the line at handing graphic images to children.

“I know they’re trying to get a point across but I think this was uncalled for and they weren’t thinking of the kids,’’ Livingston said.

dstewart@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/DveStewart

Geographic location: Charlottetown, West Royalty, Canada

Comments

Comments

• Petition
    August 12, 2014 - 16:42

In response to recent events where we saw unethical displays of dead fetuses around Charlottetown, PE, please sign this petition to allow for a law which criminalizes the public display of dead fetuses: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/mayor-clifford-lee-prohibit-the-public-display-and-mass-distribution-of-graphic-images-of-dead-fetuses-in-charlottetown?share_id=rOYYMGdKiP&utm_campaign=friend_inviter_chat&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=permissions_dialog_false

• Susan Grant
    August 11, 2014 - 22:20

After reading all the responses ,positive and negative , the only thing I wasn't to say is, when a woman is preg,she will be "HAVING A BABY....if she is happy.....but if that same woman is NOT happy about it it is a clump of cells. We Can't have it both ways. This is the way that humans are created. You can argue all you want , but the answer is the same .......this IS how humans are created so STOP trying to mix words. The First Choice by the woman. Is 1) sleeping with a man 2) I can give my child up for adoption 3) or I can have my child. There are choices. But to choose. Death........us humans are not made this way.....we don't kill our young. But for some reason it is more important for a woman to say. I have rights.......but so does the baby......and just because the government doesn't care ...doesn't make it right , it just makes it clear that these people really don't care about you. But I do and as a woman I see the end results of woman who can't sleep at night , dream of their child, think about how old they would be .For some it is heart wrenching. And they don't get over it. And if you can justify by (clump) of cells....remember......YOU WERE A CLUMP OF CELLS ONCE TO.

• Nancy Riley
    August 08, 2014 - 20:35

I can't believe the photos, they should have only showed the photo of LIFE and the picture of the baby face, that was the only decent picture.... The children though seeing these is just aughful..

• confused
    August 08, 2014 - 11:33

I traveled to Ch'town yesterday with my family, we had been warned about the protest in front the university so we avoided that part of the street all day, Later on in the day we decided to go eat at the Subway by Toys r Us. To our surprise these people were standing in front of food establishments! Wendy's and Boston Pizza! So I had to ask my 6 year old and 11 year old to close their eyes and we picked a seat in Subway so that my children could not see the pics! Thankfully my 6 year old was spared, my 11 year old not so much! Thankfully I have open communication with my daughters and her and I were able to talk about it. My 6 year is really not ready to have seen any of this...and having Mom and Dad tell her to close her eyes really made her uncomfortable. Pro Life...Pro Choice who cares!?! Kids wouldn't be allowed to go to a movie with images half as graphic. Tv shows with a graphic images are aired with warnings and usually later at night. Because of these people, as parents, we have no choice what are kids are being exposed to...right to protest? sure that's what makes are country great. Freedom of speech? would we really want it any other way? no. But just as they have a right to say what they want to say....I feel I as a tax paying citizen I should also have the right to drive down the road with children without someone giving my children nightmares. Whatever sympathies I may have had for this group went out the window the moment they made the streets of ch'town an unsafe environment to bring my children.

• attitude
    August 08, 2014 - 06:18

I wish you a safe haven -not because of religion - not rules from the legal system -just for the sake of mercy and respect --you are in a dangerous place - you are subject to all types of outside influences - you are hopefully going to be nurtured into this world and loved dearly -if you do not make it into this world it wasn't because many didn't try to protect you !!

• Curiosity
    August 07, 2014 - 21:10

Was there any evidence revealed the nationality of that man wearing a hat and dark clothing?

• reality
    August 07, 2014 - 20:29

if you are reading this, you were not aborted

• Ange
      August 09, 2014 - 11:54

Genius right here. *sarcasm*

• amanda butler
    August 07, 2014 - 20:20

if my children end up seeing these images they are showing to children there will be assault charges laid ....lets protect the children out of the womb from seeing these clearly not for children images.. for pity sakes they handed the images directly to children...they have a right to peacefully protest..and i have a right not to have my children see restricted materials.

• NobodysBusiness
    August 07, 2014 - 18:18

There could be grounds to take legal action against this group. Somebody should look into it. It is not okay to be handing out graphic pamphlets to children no matter what the subject is. As for abortion, it is nobody's business what a woman chooses to do. It's legal and she's allowed to do it. Plain and simple. Religion is no excuse to try to force your views on other people. If you want to be religious, do so in the privacy of your own home. Nobody else needs to hear about it. If you are against abortion, don't have one. It's your own choice. Do not try to force your views on any woman when you don't know what she's going through. And I would hardly call terminating a newly created fetus murder. You can't murder a small collection of cells even if that small collection could have potentially become a human.

• J
    August 07, 2014 - 18:11

I don't understand this abortion issue. If we are to believe a woman is responsible for what happens to her body, then why can't she be responsible enough to not get pregnant? Everyone knows how to make a baby. If an individual doesn't want to end up pregnant, take precautions. There is such a thing as saying no. If we follow the logic as responsible for our own bodies, then why stop a person from reckless driving, overdosing on drugs, committing suicide etc? Ladies, it's ok to not have sex with every man you meet.

• H
      August 08, 2014 - 19:19

Lets remember there are more situations for women to get pregnant than just with consenting adults. What about rape? Also a woman can sleep with only one man only once and it can still happen, as sometimes precautions fail.

• Holly Fraser
    August 07, 2014 - 17:33

I also meant to add to my previous post ( if it's posted), that this is the same city that had people up in arms about an adult store downtown that 'might' have inappropriate images in the window and children might see it. There were none, but there 'might' have been. These graphic images are about the equivalent to an adult store with giant penis and vagina pictures in their windows. Yet, this is freedom of speech? REALLY?

• Ange
      August 09, 2014 - 12:00

I couldn't agree more. An adult store that doesn't have graphic images is terrible but it's okay to mentally scar children to prove a point. If my children were handed these images I wouldn't be long finding out who and bringing them to court. Which should be done! They have no permission to be handing these out to children their parents aren't getting a choice in the matter and things like this can be life changing for some children and that is not fair to them or their families. Stop forcing your beliefs on people if someone wants an abortion they should be able to if you don't want one and you dont believe in getting one then dont it's your choice don't force your choices on others it's not fair.

• Holly Fraser
    August 07, 2014 - 17:18

We are disgusted and outraged that our 5 year old daughter was exposed to this while we were driving on University Avenue late this afternoon in rush hour traffic so she was forced to see miles of these giant graphic images. Whether I support or oppose abortion rights isn't the issue. Exposing innocent children to this is a disgusting use of shock tactics that make anti abortion activists look like psychotic animals. They are lucky that no one came to my door and handed one of those flyers to one of my children. My husband wanted to get out the car when we passed them today. I can't even imagine if one was on our doorstep. HORRID!

• Maggie
    August 07, 2014 - 17:10

Abortion is a very graphic and ugly procedure that ends the life of millions of human babies in a very cruel and painful way. The fact that a lot of people think abortion is their "right" tells me that they either don't know or they don't care that they are killing a live human baby in a horrific way.Although I do not think that young children should be exposed to such images, I think bringing this horrific injustice to light is very important, as a lot of people don't seem to think it through. If they did they wouldn't be doing it.

• Cat
      August 08, 2014 - 09:06

I agree with you. The point that the pictures are upsetting people means that something inside them knows it is wrong but may not want to admit it or even know it. But to show them to kids.... that is wrong. Don't ruin their childhood with these images.

• willie
    August 07, 2014 - 16:12

It's stunts like this that strips groups of their integrity. What do these zealots think they're accomplishing? The law is the law, that ship has sailed, all around the country. Everyone, please stop and take photos and video of these creeps, then put it online, they clearly want attention, give it to them.

• An Opinion
    August 07, 2014 - 15:36

Personally we are sick of religions coming into our space and trying to shove their closed minded ideas down our throats. If we need or want any type info on anything we can find it without these do gooders?? spewing out their one sided emesis. Do not come to our door unless you are invited. We do not need you or want you. And the men do gooders are even worse imo, they will never be in the predictment to be pregnant so please butt out. We doubt that many WOMEN head into an abortion on a high note, it is THEIR business. Not yours and not mine.

• Not aborted
    August 07, 2014 - 15:30

I'm confused.....it's okay for a jubilant mother-to- be to show her children the ultrasound image(s) ot the expectant child/fetus but it is not okay for the children to view the child/ fetus when the "mother" decides to terminate his/ her life??? God is the author of all life....please pray to Him and allow Him to guide you.

• Not Your Views
      August 07, 2014 - 18:46

Your religious views are not someone else's views. Do you judge other peoples religions? Their religions are their views and you have no right to tell them how to think, whatever they believe in

• Ange
      August 09, 2014 - 11:52

It's the difference between seeing graphic images that scar children an ultrasound isn't gory. Would you show your child the image of a woman giving birth? That would scar a child just as bad as an abortion image. So why did you not use that as an example? No one is going to be put off by an ultrasound image but everyone would of a birth image. Stop throwing your religion around like everyone should believe in what you do. I accept that you believe in your god accept that I do not believe in the same as you.

• Hmmm...
    August 07, 2014 - 15:09

I just wanted to point out that they are giving the flyers to children to bring back to their parents. Parents who wanted, or chose, life over abortion. I really think they were targeting the wrong audience in that sense.

• Former Islander
      August 07, 2014 - 17:50

There are not women who have children, and those that have abortions. They are the same women, at different stages of their lives. One in three women get abortions, but many of those same people also decide to have children before or after an abortion. My mother is strongly pro-choice, as am I. That has no reflection on my own desire to have children, merely that I do not dictate what medical procedures other people choose to have.

• The Truth
    August 07, 2014 - 14:16

The truth is that we don't all have the same opinion. That is the point of being prochoice, we aren't mad at anyone who wants to have a child it is your choice. We just want everyone to be able to have the resources for being a healthy woman. Whether we run into the instance where abortion is necessary or where we want to give birth to a child. You can not keep us from our right to have a healthy life.

• Preach
      August 07, 2014 - 14:38

So well worded just what I wanted to comment

• just a thought
      August 07, 2014 - 17:58

It is my understanding that PEI women already DO have access to abortion. There are many services, for example, heart bypass, cancer treatments, etc. that an Islander has to travel off Island to obtain. 150 women in a population of 150,000 is about 1%. We are a small province with only so much money to go around. When someone is sick and they need to go to Moncton or Halifax they go. There is a bus service I believe that is in the works. If you have been ill and waited 10 or 12 hours in the emergency room waiting to see a doctor you would wonder why people are screaming to add more nonessential services when we struggle to maintain what we currently have.

• TheRealPoint
    August 07, 2014 - 13:54

This really has nothing to do with pro-life, pro-choice arguments I think. It really has to do with the way these protesters are handling the material they are providing, and going out of their way to give it to children. I don't know what they were thinking coming up with this game plan to spread their message. "Hey you know what will really push our message, giving inappropriate content to children that they know nothing about. That'll show'em!"

• Christine Crain
      August 07, 2014 - 18:36

This is exactly it. I am by far on the Pro-Choice side of this debate; that being said, I was not offended by the intention of promoting the Pro-Life side but by the graphic content of the fliers. If a person really wants to forward their side of a debate you do so with logic and argument, not with shock and awe tactics such as these.

• Person
    August 07, 2014 - 13:46

By limiting access to abortion on PEI, one does not stop a woman from choosing to have an abortion. PEI needs to reconsider the quality and availability of services provided to women on the island, as this is the only province that does not openly provide access and service to women seeking this help. It is a disgrace. You can judge a society by how well it treats women. Well PEI, you're judged.

• Pei woman
      August 07, 2014 - 14:17

Well said Get Real!

• Mr.Nobody
      August 07, 2014 - 14:46

Person, If you mean to quote somebody, then at least get it right. "The greatest measure of a society is the way it treats its weakest members." ... Mahatma Gandhi . Fyodor Dostoyevsky "you can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners". Winston Churchill said that you measure the degree of civilization of a society by how it treats its weakest members. Is it your contention that women are the weakest members? Or are they prisoners? You can't scream for more rights and equality and a unilateral right to decide, and expect to be coddled and treated delicately as the "weaker sex".

• James Evans
    August 07, 2014 - 13:03

These people had two very young pchildrenruning around beside the traffic on Belvedere waving placards with these graphic images. They don't appear to care much about the safety of their own children.

• not impressed
    August 07, 2014 - 13:02

pulling a stunt like this, they just lost my support... what a turn-off for their cause.

• not impressed by not impressed
      August 07, 2014 - 15:39

They never had your support. Something like this won't make you switch from pro-life to pro-abortion. (or the other way either)

• IBC
    August 07, 2014 - 12:37

Come now the picture speaks the truth , would you not tell your child the truth. Dismembering of a person no matter how small is wrong in most all people "eyes " . It should be made compulsory for all who want abortions to watch a video of how it takes place .

• Nope
      August 07, 2014 - 14:32

Really, you think abortion is wrong in the eyes of "most all" people? Get real. These comments alone, show how wrong you are. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and choices, however, those who try to take that away, are the ones who will lose this war.

• Nutjob
      August 07, 2014 - 15:14

The argument of the religious wackos. Make them watch an abortion before getting one. What video should they watch? One from one or YOUR groups that is a total misrepresentation of the process? When are you hypocrites going to start demanding that people getting other medical procedures be forced to watch the procedure before hand?

• caringgal
      August 07, 2014 - 19:19

When a child is conceived it is a living person,who cannot defend itself.Ending its life is murder.....you can call it what you want,but ending its life is wrong.If you don't want a child,use a condom,or practise abstinence.

• Confused
    August 07, 2014 - 12:24

She said she was sick to her stomach and had never seen a picture like that in her life, yet she's pro-choice? If you're "for" or "against" something, shouldn't you know what it is and what the outcomes are... and not feel sick about it? Also, how can she be so disturbed that her daughter saw the ugly truth of a procedure that she supports, and not realize that the baby in the picture, again which makes her feel sick, could have been someone else's daughter or son? Makes no sense.

• Former Islander
      August 07, 2014 - 17:55

The pictures these groups use are disingenuous. They show pictures of late term abortions, which make up about 1-2% of all abortions, and are usually performed on a wanted pregnancy that had to be terminated for serious health reasons. If they showed a picture of a first trimester abortion (which makes up 90%) there wouldn't be anything gory to see.

• Open Minded Student
    August 07, 2014 - 11:59

I don’t personally share a pro-life view; however, putting that aside there are areas this protesting group could improve upon. OF course looking back on actions there are always many things we would do differently; however, one must make sure that we are not disturbing young members of society, especially without consent from guardians. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to speak their mind. I would say their tactic is functioning well; to provoke and stir up the society- this gets individuals talking about their cause. I would be interested to see an interview, especially with the young (assuming 12 and under) females behind the swallowing signs, about what their opinions are and their level of understanding. I believe young adults are able to formulate opinions but to what extent does their intelligence reach, other than what is being taught to them. It is only in later years I find that we begin to question information given to us, and asking the question why, or what if. The conference being held at UPEI represents progressive thinking as it should. A University is an institution for exactly that. I do find the nature of the protest to be disrespectful to the institution in that sense. I find it is diminishing the intellect that is being provided at this campus. One may disagree with information being presented and I would invite individuals to hold their own conference so that others may seek their knowledge. I have no debate that there is research, opinions, and politics that support each cause but I do debate the intellectual nature of this protest- shock value does not prove a point it proves a lack of information.

• former islanders
    August 07, 2014 - 11:28

Truth Hurts!

• Really ??
    August 07, 2014 - 11:08

Plain and simple....leave little children out of this. They are innocent. If I ever catch anyone handing out images to any of my children...I will find them and "educate" them myself.

• SomethingToConsider
    August 07, 2014 - 10:54

What the people distributing these images may not realize is some women do not have a choice. They have to have an abortion because they are told their unborn baby will not survive till birth. They also may be unaware that those photographs are also what still births look like. I feel so sorry for any woman who may have had to endure the loss of their child and now has to look at those images reminding them of what they lost.

• Paul Trainor
    August 07, 2014 - 10:53

Well sadly the truth is not very attractive most times. The images we see of murders happening around the world are put on TV every day. Sadly we are accustomed to seeing murder and death and abortion is no different. My heart goes out to the girl who does get an abortion and than has to live with that murder for the rest of her life. Obviously people do it but it doesn't sugar coat the fact that it is death of an innocent and saying or showing death of all kinds would be great to be banned from our print, TV and internet but I would rather have an educated public than a public mislead into believing it isn't a reality and it isn't murder of an innocent.

• Monica
    August 07, 2014 - 10:41

I believe the point was missed here. Adults are going around handing things to children who are outside playing. Regardless of what it is--regardless of the content or topic--that is wrong. Think about it--they could have been handing them anything at all. Anything. (But it was just graphic images of aborted fetuses so that's okay!) I believe in freedom of speech and expression and whatnot. They can put the pamphlets on doors or mailboxes or hand them to adults. They should not be targeting and exploiting children to get their message across.

• same story
    August 07, 2014 - 10:11

I really don't see what religion has to do with the abortion issue. I am not a religious person but I know what a mammal looks like a very short time after conception, it looks like the adult member of the species it belongs to. That creature or what ever it is , is then destroyed by abortion . The pictures are the truth.

• PEI parent
    August 07, 2014 - 09:48

I definitely feel the message could have been distributed with more discretion. I also received the flyers and even though I felt shocked at what I saw, I saw the ugly truth. On a side note, there have been many awkward moments when our children have asked tough, embarrassing questions over the years. In my personal experience, it is best to answer those questions, a) in an age appropriate manner, b) by giving the minimum amount of knowledge needed, and c) truthfully. We, as a society have glossed over the methodology and minimized abortion to, as was succinctly stated in the last few days, "a ten-minute medical procedure." Unfortunately, this particular ten-minute procedure is quite invasive and results in the death of something we, all who are alive value: life. It is unfortunate that the conference taking place in Charlottetown has absolutely no representation from those who hold opposing views. My thought is that any academic conference, regardless of topic, would benefit from variety and different streams of thought. The term "reproductive justice" is, I believe, a misnomer. TRUE reproductive justice will occur when the one being reproduced has justice.

• agree
      August 07, 2014 - 11:09

Very well said, and I agree 100%

• Um...
      August 07, 2014 - 11:33

Forgive me, but how is giving out graphic photos of late-term abortions (which aren't performed in Canada) or miscarriages that you're trying to pass off as abortions constitute "seeing the truth"? Recognizing when you're being emotionally misled is the first step in educating yourself on the actual facts in any issue.

• franklin macdonald
    August 07, 2014 - 09:45

If every person who wanted to have an abortion had to first witness one being performed, I wonder what percentage of them would follow through with the procedure? It is not an appendage that they take out of the woman but a formed human being that has no apparent right to survive. It is a tragedy that while inside the woman this human has absolutely no rights but the very second he or she comes out it would be considered a murder if they were killed.

• Get Real
      August 07, 2014 - 11:00

The real tragedy is that there are millions of kids in the world, and lots in Canada, and many in PEI that could use some help. Why do you "pro-lifers" not give a damn about these kids once they are born? If you are so concerned and convinced that abortion is a tragedy why aren't you trying to make the situation better for these kids and the mothers that have to make the difficult choice to have an abortion? Without a doubt, the coldest hearted people I have ever met have been those that proclaim themselves "pro life". All "pro lifers" want to do is force their views upon others.

• Conversely...
      August 07, 2014 - 11:40

If every woman (since men don't personally experience pregnancy) who wanted to have a baby had to first witness one being born, I wonder what percentage of them would follow through with their decision? Particularly if there were complications involved. It's a tragedy that a woman's bodily autonomy is automatically called into question when she becomes pregnant yet men never experience anything even CLOSE to the same situation (be it carrying a child or aborting one).

• I wonder
      August 07, 2014 - 12:00

I wonder when religious wackos will stop using this strawman argument? Name a single medical procedure that a patient is forced to watch video of before they get the treatment? I wonder how many people would decide not to get a hip replaced if they were forced to watch and listen to the procedure ahead of time?

• As well
      August 07, 2014 - 12:30

You could say the same about the barbaric act of circumcision. To have this outdated practice still bring performed (because the daddy is circumcised ) is both disturbing and totally unnecessary. At least the child survives but who also had no say in the procedure.

• Disgusted with your kind.
      August 07, 2014 - 12:36

I could use the same logic when it comes to getting any surgery. Pretty sure most people who watch a heart surgery before having one would want to back out. You as a man Franklin, have no place in making a comment about women's bodies/rights. We have spent a long time fighting men for rights, we have won many battles, so just back off.

• The Observer from Stratford
    August 07, 2014 - 09:38

The "Show The Truth" (?) group has the right to distribute any information they desire. It's called freedom of speech. However ... due to the graphic nature of these materials (at least as reported here) they should be delivered in a sealed envelope not just stuck into a door. That should shut up those who are worried about children seeing these images. Whether that would end the complaints is of course doubtful since we all know that the kids seeing the materials issue is just a smokescreen in the first place.

• they just lost my support!!
      August 07, 2014 - 11:38

uh, not if it's going to traumatize our children.. and they sure as heck just lost my support!!

• Lady Jane
    August 07, 2014 - 09:27

These stunts are useless and so is the government.There is nothing 'controversial ' about abortion, until its self induced.

• smug mary
    August 07, 2014 - 08:47

Half of the time the images used by those nutjob groups aren't even real - and even more often, they don't even realize it themselves - which speaks to their credibility. Any group that uses these tactics to get attention are not worth listening to.

• Really?
      August 07, 2014 - 09:53

Smug Mary - Do you have proof the images are not real? I miscarried at 10 weeks without the benefit of a sterile hospital room. Regardless of what anyone says, the images of that day will never be erased from my memory.

• purity of intention
      August 07, 2014 - 13:37

Really? - It is so generous of you to share the truth of what you personally experienced. I am so sorry for your loss. With faith, know that you will one day see your baby in a much more beautiful and precious way.

• Bill
    August 07, 2014 - 08:44

Why is the Guardian hounding Holly Pierlot when her organization had nothing to do with the pamphlets? Why are there no comments from the Show the Truth group or a line saying that they would not comment? It appears that the Guardian is attempting to offer up Holly Pierlot as a stand-in target for people's outrage instead of the group responsible.

• kendrick lamar
      August 07, 2014 - 12:52

Probably because she notified the group that the convention at UPEI was happening. She also supports them while skirting around the tactics they use because she is too much of a coward to do it herself. Both of these groups are terrible and are fighting a losing battle.

• jane
    August 07, 2014 - 08:34

THEY WERE,NT THINKING ABOUT THE KIDS ,’’ Livingston said. I,m guessing that's what a "thinking person on Pei " would say !! lmao

Truth Seeker
    August 07, 2014 - 08:32

This group has the right to distribute information under the law. Due to the graphic nature of the material and the age of the victim, yes victim, I would be seeking some legal restrains with contact to minors and this group. They are also spreading support of an ideology that is against the Charter. This is just another group of ignorant citizens that do not understand human rights.

• enough already
    August 07, 2014 - 08:14

Hide the women and children from nasty pictures. Do any of these people go on the internet ? There are lots of nasty pictures on there that children are seeing. Once again anything to get their picture in the paper.

• Amanda Livingston
      August 07, 2014 - 13:12

Anything to get their picture in the paper!??? What in the name of god are you talking about! I certainly did not do this to get my picture in the paper!! What happened yesterday was uncalled for, there are better ways to approach this... Im not upset about "abortion" Im upset that I had to explain to my daughter what it was and why!!! Kids should be worried about other things rather then chopped up babies on a flyer!! so before you go and assume why someone did something take a step back an think what you are about to wriite

• don
    August 07, 2014 - 07:55

Amanda if you think that kids today does not see this stuff on-line then you need to get out of the 16th century and move to the 21st. it is called "computers" better she knows and learns now then after she's pregnant. or you can lock her up till she is say 55.

• Kat
      August 07, 2014 - 12:27

If you don't want to see this garbage online, it's very easy to avoid! Use some logic next time you open your mouth (given the history of your comments I have little faith you're able to do so). Everyone has the right too choose how to raise their children, mind your own business and worry about yourself!

• Bob MacDonald
      August 07, 2014 - 13:41

My 10 year old doesn't see stuff like that online Don. It's called "parenting" I choose when she needs such knowledge not you.

• Confused
    August 07, 2014 - 07:54

I don't understand the point that these protesters are trying to make. Is it that abortion is gross? In that case, I think most people would agree with them. However, just because something is gross doesn't mean it's immoral or unnecessary. Take, for example, literally any other surgical procedure. Few people would want to watch or see pictures of brain surgery, an amputation, heart surgery, etc. But I don't see anyone crying that these are immoral just because they're unsightly. Logic doesn't typically tend to be on the pro life side, but I'd like to see them try a little harder in the future. It would be nice to see them argue with sound reasoning instead of trying to distract with irrelevance.

• jane
      August 07, 2014 - 11:13

Why should,nt the children see the reality of it ?? after all there's nothing wrong with it ?? Is there ? Taking another human life and how its taken should be hidden from the view of all !!!! Why can,t we "Just kill them quietly" !!!! And confused , You are CONFUSED !!!!

• What's The Fuss
    August 07, 2014 - 07:40

Is it that seeing the truth (reality) hurts ????

• Your kidding right?
      August 07, 2014 - 10:34

Thats not the point? The "truth" can be driven home minus any graphic image. Are the public that dumb that group like these need to show graphic images of an aborted fetus? It takes away from their cause and as you can see what are we talking about? Not abortion but the image itself. What's next? Are we suppose to be okay if an anti rape group were to hand out images of a rape victim? How about a dead kid from a bombed out building in Gaza? Do we need to see a dead body to drive the point home that war is bad and war kills kids? I have no issues with explaining to my kid what abortion but its no one else's right to expose my child to this kind of material. That is my right and my decision to make. No one else's.

• @ what's all the fuss...
      August 07, 2014 - 11:36

uh, the fuss is that some of the children being given this material were so young that they didn't even know how babies were made, let alone what was an abortion. The images were traumatic and upsetting especially to young children. This is totally tactless, completely inappropriate and is bordering on child abuse. It's an outrage.

• in poor taste
    August 07, 2014 - 07:34

I'm not keen on abortion, but handing material like that out to kids? NOT a good way to gain public support for your cause! I'd be livid too if they gave that to my kids...

• Ian
    August 07, 2014 - 07:33

Our 10 year old daughter gave the pamphlet to me asking what it was about and was disturbed by what she had saw. She said it was jammed in our front door. Are they going to hand out pamphlets on child trauma next. Shame on them.

• Sickos
    August 07, 2014 - 07:31

In the sick minds of these religious wackos life begins at conception and ends at birth. They stop giving a damn about human life as soon as the child is born.

• Ronnie
    August 07, 2014 - 07:29

Key point: "The 31-year-old mother said she is pro choice" Yes...I could see how it could be difficult for a parent to explain she supports ending a human life for the sake of convenience (most of the time) would be difficult to explain to a child

• Well Said
      August 07, 2014 - 15:51

Couldn't have said it better , very true

• Bob MacDonald
    August 07, 2014 - 07:10

Pro-choice people should take the pamphlets and promptly rip them up in front of the protestors. Ask for two.

• Bob MacDonald
    August 07, 2014 - 07:08

Sick - All the worlds problems can be traced to groups of people that think they can force their views down the throats of other people.

• GET A LIFE
    August 07, 2014 - 06:44

I also feel sick to my stomach after seeing this and certainly would not want to see the pamphlet ! Abortion is legal (although it should NOT be used for birth control ) ,it is a womans choice so get over it people and please stay away from my door . Perhaps your time would be better spent at the Gaza protest with Broderick .

• just the facts
    August 07, 2014 - 06:38

"was outraged a member of the anti-abortion group Show the Truth handed her young daughter a graphic image that depicts a fetus aborted at 10 weeks" ... the truth about abortion should outrage us all, if we are uncomfortable well maybe our ambivalence to this destructive practice is the problem. We don't like to see images of starving children on TV while we are having supper either, it makes us uncomfortable, even outraged, we shut off the TV, it doesn't change the truth about the conditions for some people but we do not have to be uncomfortable. If aborted babies were not destroyed, images of their destruction would not exist. The people who promote the truth are not the problem, but just maybe those of us who are in denial about it are part of it. Pretending this is an outrage because kids see this destruction is like sheltering kids from the realities of the world, most often we are outraged not because of the fact that our kids see uncomfortable images but because they ask us uncomfortable questions, questions that we would really rather not answer.

• Parent
      August 07, 2014 - 09:32

Do you need to see a picture of heart surgery to determine if you should have that surgery? What a ridiculous argument! Of course, "pro-lifers" have been using this warped way of thinking for years to justify harassing women, and murdering doctors who perform abortion.

• Bob MacDonald
      August 07, 2014 - 09:40

You have no right to decide what I wish to shelter my child from. I will decide when they are old enough to learn about such things. Right now I just want her to enjoy her childhood. Religion has destroyed the world for thousands of years, its time to grow up and stop believing in fairy tales

• GetReal
    August 07, 2014 - 06:03

This is so typical of a "pro-life" group that claims to care so much about the unborn but when it comes to children that have been born, there is no caring. Anyone who would hand information such as this to a child without explanation, obviously knows nothing nor cares anything about the health of that child.

• Another Anonymous Coward.
      August 07, 2014 - 14:29

Nice to see so many comments from "Show the truth" visitors essentially trolling this article. Their efforts are only managing to further galvanize the islanders against future pro life protests.