Teen killed in Canoe Cove crash identified

Funeral service Thursday morning in Summerside for Lucas Getson, 15, of Argyle Shore

Lucas Getson was killed in a single-vehicle rollover in Canoe Cove on Aug. 3, 2014.

A funeral will be held Thursday in Summerside for the young man killed in a single-vehicle accident on the weekend.

Lucas Wayne Getson, 15, was the passenger in a vehicle that rolled over on the road in Canoe Cove on Sunday evening just after 5 p.m.

RELATED: Teenager dies in single vehicle rollover

The 18-year-old driver from the North Rustico area was taken to hospital and released the same night.

Neither boy was wearing a seatbelt and they were both ejected during the crash.

Lucas was the son of Wayne (Claudette) Getson and Judy (Ron Loo) Crossman.

The funeral for Lucas will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at the East Prince Funeral Home chapel in Summerside, with visiting hours Wednesday 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Memorial donations in Lucas’s memory may be made to the P.E.I. Humane Society or the Salvation Army.

Geographic location: Canoe Cove, Summerside, Argyle Shore

Comments

Comments

• Mother
    December 19, 2014 - 09:56

The speed at which the car was going was so excessive that even a seat belt would not have saved my son's life. Your answer is speed and speed killed my son. He died in vain and hopefully more kids will not speed so that my son did not die in vain. You really should be careful before you say that my son died because of something he did. The facts are in place and I know what happened. THIS WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT and it was very PREVENTABLE. My son should be here for Christmas. Rest in Peace my sweet. xoxox Mom

• Mother
    December 19, 2014 - 09:55

• Kris
    August 06, 2014 - 16:51

Don, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but do you personally know anyone involved in the accident? I work with both the sister of the victim and the sister of the driver, and I can assure you that not all details have been released to the public yet. It's unfair to the families of both boys to spew your mouth and opinions like this, when they are not well informed. Even if the boy driving was at fault (and I'm not saying he is), it still will not progress anyone further to come down on him like this. Accidents happen, and if that's the case, there's nothing that could've been done. If it was anything illegal or irresponsible that caused the accident, then both families have to live with those consequences for the rest of their lives. The drive was best friends with the young man killed, and I'll be damned if either way, that doesn't sit in his mind every day for the rest of his life. Both families need support in this difficult time; they don't need people coming down on anyone who doesn't even have a clue about what happened or who was in the right or wrong. Please, reconsider the opinions and thoughts you make public. You never know who could be reading, and the last thing either family needs to see right now is that sort of thing.

• don
    August 06, 2014 - 13:58

Give It A Rest Don well if you can not take the truth then have a seat on a 4 prong fork. i have the right to my opinion as do you. i have seen my fair share of mvc's in my life and all are sad. but from what i have read most mvc's with young drivers are caused by, speed, driver skill and/or impairment, and driver behaviour. and they feel that they know how to drive. but they learn the hard way they will never know it all i have been driving for 42 years in canada and the usa. and every day you learn more. former cop i agree but the licence should go up to 21 with age the say you mature more. to many kids and as an ex cop you will agree they think they know it all.

• Bill Lexar
      August 06, 2014 - 16:18

Don, you do have a right to your opinions, but they are so full of hate and venom that they are sometimes hard to read. How one man can be so filled with small minded hate is beside me. Your opinions are not based on fact. They are based on how much hate you can spew and how many people yo can hurt in the process. If I though you were more intelligent then your comments suggest I would put you down to a common troll. But you are not smart enough to be a troll. You just feel good when you are hurting people and spewing hate.

• logan
      August 06, 2014 - 20:59

don yes u have a right to your opinion but whats your point? a kid died in that crash and all u can think about is blaming the driver who is seriously injured and has to live with the fact that a kid died in his supervision there no blame here that is why there called accidents... also the licence age is fine where it is and i personally dont think lucas's parents and family and the drivers family wouldnt appreciate your pointing of fingures towards the teens instead of blaming maybe you should think more of what there familys are going through i went to school with lucas we didnt talk much but he was a great guy r.i.p lucas take er easy buddy

• don
    August 06, 2014 - 01:09

may God be with the family at this time. i would like to know as to what happened to cost this child his life? drunk,speed, either way this driver should be charged with the death of this kid, at least a ticket of no seat belt. and i hope that is 18 year old lives with this every day.

• former cop
      August 06, 2014 - 09:27

I once rolled my car on a highway, travelling at about the speed limit. I don't drink, don't do drugs, was completely sober. I hit a soft shoulder, lost control, went off road and rolled down the embankment. My seatbelt saved my life but unfortunately, these kids weren't belted in and each is responsible for their own actions. Very tragically, it cost one boy his life. Miraculously, the other survived. I pity the mental suffering and guilt he will endure. Keep an open mind as this kid is a young, inexperienced driver... anything could have happened and the facts are still being gathered. This is a tragedy for all families involved. Regardless of the causes, why would you wish more hurt on any of these people? Pray for them.

• April
      August 06, 2014 - 09:55

Why is it when there is a tragedy one must blame .For some it's the first thing that comes to mind , when it should be compasion and understanding first.To say such harsh words without any details about the driver shame on you.Yes a life was lost but many will change forever. Thats a fact.

• April
      August 06, 2014 - 09:55

• Clown
      August 06, 2014 - 11:04

As usual the clown prince don has nothing of value to add.

• Give It A Rest Don
      August 06, 2014 - 13:05

Don....you are on here every day spouting off about how rotten everything in the world is. It is one thing to be so harsh towards your government, or drug addicts, or drinkers, or all the other people you shoot your mouth off about. However, this 18 year old has not been proven to have committed any type of crime to cause this young man's death. For all you and we know is that he did everything by the book except wear his seatbelt and ask his passenger to wear his seatbelt as well. I know when I was an 18 year old I wasn't as experienced behind the wheel of a car and this type of thing could happen to any one of us. What in the !@#$ gives you the right to condemn this young man when most likely his heart is aching for the loss of his friend. You are a cold, pathetic and miserable man with nothing better to do than look down on others. You may want to invest in a mirror Don, and take a hard look in it.

• Gail and James Johnston
    August 05, 2014 - 23:01

Judy so very sorry for your loss.Prayers are with you and your family

• Sympathy
    August 05, 2014 - 21:09

Sympathy to the family for this tragic loss. I hope and pray that charges will be brought before the driver. Such a senseless and tragic death

• c'mon
      August 05, 2014 - 22:34

Charges? Really? What a rotten and completely heartless thing to say.

• Anon
      August 05, 2014 - 22:49

With all due respect, the fact that this young man wasn't wearing a seatbelt was hardly the driver's fault. If he were drinking it would be another story but nonetheless if the kid had been wearing a seatbelt he'd probably still be alive.

• Charges??????
      August 06, 2014 - 06:51

Charges? For what. What crime was committed?

• former cop
      August 06, 2014 - 07:33

hoping for charges means hoping that this young driver did something criminally wrong to cause this tragedy. Let's all pray that was not the case. Unfortunately, we can't change what happened and can't bring anyone back. The 18 year old driver will carry this horror with him for the rest of his life. Deepest sympathies to the families involved. What an awful tragedy.

• Janet
    August 05, 2014 - 19:21

God love this family!! My prayers are with you! I don't know you but I can't imagine the pain this family is going through!

• jaceinta
    August 05, 2014 - 15:58

Seat belts save lives! Please, please let this be a lesson, let this young adult not have died in vain.

Truth Seeker
      August 05, 2014 - 22:29

Agreed. I send my deepest sympathies to both families and may they have the strength and support of one another to carry through this tragedy.