Drunk driver who killed woman in 2011 crash given parole

Ryan Ross

Raymond Cantelo prepares to enter Supreme Court building in this 2012 Guardian file photo.

Ray Cantelo given five years for Kings County accident that also badly injured victim’s husband

An Island man who was sentenced to five years in prison after driving drunk during an accident that killed a Kings County woman and seriously injured her husband has been granted full parole.

On Oct. 22, 2011, Raymond Alfred Cantelo was driving a van that pulled in front of a motorcycle that Bernard and Stacy Cheverie were riding on Peakes Road in central Kings County.

Stacy Cheverie died at the scene and Bernard was seriously injured.

Cantelo later pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing death, impaired driving causing bodily harm and leaving the scene of an accident.

The Parole Board of Canada issued its decision Tuesday to grant Cantelo full parole, saying he didn’t represent an undue risk to society and his release would help with his reintegration as a law-abiding citizen.

In granting full parole, the board attached several conditions, including that Cantelo is to have no contact with Bernard Cheverie or any of the two victims’ families. The board also ordered Cantelo not to consume, buy or possess alcohol because future use would increase his risk of reoffending.

A report on the parole board’s review said it received several victim impact statements in which they described their overwhelming sense of loss and other negative emotions they feel due to Cantelo’s actions.

After the crash, Bernard Cheverie had to be airlifted to Halifax for treatment of injuries that included 17 broken ribs, a punctured lung and nerve damage.

In the parole board’s report, it said Cantelo not only caused the death of one person and severe physical and psychological damage to another, but his actions devastated the couple’s family and friends.

“The tragic results of your behaviour cannot be overstated.”

The board said substance abuse was assessed as presenting a high need of improvement while his attitude and personal orientation were assessed as having a moderate need of improvement.

Cantelo told the board that if he was released he planned to work repairing equipment, volunteer and attend activities at his church.

He denied drinking since the accident, except on one occasion, and he told the board he considered himself to be an alcoholic, although Cantelo said he was participating in a support program.

The report also said Cantelo’s partner was supportive and was willing to provide accommodations after his release.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Organizations: Parole Board of Canada

Geographic location: Kings, Iceland, Peakes Road Halifax

Comments

Comments

• edgar
    August 05, 2014 - 13:13

read

• James
    August 02, 2014 - 22:11

To call this man a murder diminishes the calculated act taking a human life in either a fit of unrestrained passion or naked self-interest, and those bastards deserve to rot in prison forever. This stupid man, an alcoholic by his own admission, needs time in prison to be rehabilitated, get over his addiction, and think about the unintended consequences of his neglected responsibility to society. Five years sounds appropriate, and this parole serves neither him nor the victims well. But make no mistake, he is no psychopath. He will carry the fact that he killed a human being with him for the rest of his short life, and that will haunt him every single day. My only fear is that without rehabilitation, the guilt may make his alcoholism worse, and this will not be the last time someone falls victim to his addiction. If that proves true, shame on you justice system.

• Bob MacDonald
    August 02, 2014 - 20:47

Only a matter of time until he does this again... Sad really Feel bad for the family of the woman he murdered. Bet he doesn't give her a second thought.

• Karen Peters
    August 02, 2014 - 17:56

Well monster I am the sister of the lady Raymond cantelo killed, to say he is the victim is a understatement someone who does what he did left them there to die to me is a coward I consider myself to be a Christian and yes people do make mistakes but most people try to make themselves better and learn from their mistakes this person did not all he did was lie right from the start maybe he did play at benefits etc but so do a lot of other people but this doesn't make him any better he made a very bad decision that day and did not pay for what he did .He lied during the trial he could of done the right thing admitted to what he did and saved our families a lot of heartache which he didn't he is agorant rude and many more things tried to get people to lie for him at the trial etc. Our family then just had to listen to more lies at the parole hearing he is a person who knows how to use the system lie to get himself out of anything and this is just what he did he told the parole board that my mother and father went to see him my father hasn't been living for awhile not sure what planet he was on that day. Winnie spoke on his behalf that day saying she would help him well if that is so she should of done it a couple of years ago a person that is denial I think. So don't say it is us Christians if you think you could do any better climb on board you cant help people like Raymond cantelo sorry. My family have joined madd to try to make a difference and hopefully families will not have to go through what we have. If you live in the peakes area be carefull you know what he said they wont catch me on a back road well they did and probably will again I am sure he will re offend .

• John Cantelo
      August 03, 2014 - 19:05

Mrs. Peters I AM VERY VERY sorry for your family’s loss. I am sorry for everything that your family has gone through since. I wish I could bring Stacy back to her loved ones. I wish I could do something to heal the devastation & your family’s pain. The behavior of my father that day was inexcusable & unacceptable! I don't blame you for being so angry. We too are very upset with the events that have occurred, continue to occur & the hostilities because of it. I hope the hurting & pain can ease for everyone. I hope your family & everyone involved can eventually heal. I hope people will learn from this & have the courage to make the better choices. Again I am, as is my family, truly sorry to everyone who has been hurt from this senseless tragedy.

• Sorry
    August 02, 2014 - 17:27

I'm sorry the victims family is not getting justice here. Next time someone sees him drink call the cops not only drinking and driving but he is not allowed to drink. I hope next time he drinks and drives that the cops can stop him before he kills someone. I thinks the police must be so frustrated with our justice system. They do their job and catch the bad guys and someone let's them go.

• Mistake?
    August 02, 2014 - 14:59

A mistake? Really Monster?? Was the mistake when he CHOSE to drink and drive? Was the mistake when he CHOSE to pull out in front of the victims and kill one of them? Was the mistake when he ran from the scene with blatent disregard like a gutless coward to leave them to die? Was the mistake lying to the cops afterward? I hope this haunts him for life and I hope he is hounded and watched by EVERYONE in the community until he breaches his parole. Because he WILL breach parole and hopefully someone will be there when he does.

• Hound dog
      August 02, 2014 - 17:42

I hope you hound your friend and family before they make the mistake of drinking and driving.... I hope you hound the people who CHOSE to text and drive... I hope you can channel your negative energy and hatred into a positive way to make a difference.... I hope you can heal your hound-full troll heart.

• HOUND DOG
      August 02, 2014 - 22:25

I hope you now "hound" your friends and family before they make the mistake of drinking and driving….I hope you now "hound" the people who CHOSE to text and drive…..I hope you can channel your negative energy and hatred into a positive way to make a difference….. I hope you can heal your hound-full troll heart.

• I hope
      August 03, 2014 - 12:01

I do hound people for drinking and driving or for texting and driving. Unlike some I am not a coward and I don't mind standing up to these people. I hope people like you and other apologists for killers go away too.

• MONSTER??
    August 02, 2014 - 14:27

The only monsters of this story are the cold hearted, Christian-less trolls who do nothing to change the unchanging problem that is rampant in PEI: Alcoholism and drinking and driving. You do nothing for positive change, but give your negative venom here. Cantelo is a victim of the Island Culture and way of life. He is not a monster; he is a good man who made a terrible mistake. What the trolls want everyone to forget, is how he played for free at Kayleighs, benefits, and visited seniors that people forgot about and contributed to society most of his life in a positive way. I choose to forgive and help this man, as will his family and his many friends. Matthew 6:14-15

• Monster??????????
      August 02, 2014 - 14:53

Monster?? I hope you never have do what the families of this murder had to go through but if you do I will be the first to stand up and defend the criminal who happens to take one of your family members. After all, it won't be the criminal's fault, it will be society's.

• God.
      August 02, 2014 - 14:55

Monster?? why don't you ask god where he was when the murderer took a life and ruined two families. You are a part of the problem with out justice system. Bleeding hearts who don't give a crap about the victims only the criminals.

• Natasha
      August 08, 2014 - 16:26

' a good man who made a terrible mistake' ... Well that was one hell of a mistake. He got out of his van and starred at my parents laying on the ground. Then he left them there. He went home. He denied everything. He lied to the police. He made us wait over a year for a trial- which he was free during that year to do what he pleased. And where were my parents? My dad ?was injured and trying to recoup. My mom? She was 6 feet in the ground unable to do anything anymore. So who is the victim in this situation. NOT him!!! How dare you try to lay blame on anyone other than him in this situation.

• Monster?
    August 02, 2014 - 12:45

• cathy
    August 02, 2014 - 10:54

as a relative of the victim i have to say this is exactly why they repeat,they get a slap on the wrist ,i hope everyone watches him on the roads and reports him everytime he puts a drink to his lips and gets behind the wheel of a car!! the reason these people never learn is because they never pay the full price for their actions!

• cathy
    August 02, 2014 - 10:53

• Estelle Martin
    August 02, 2014 - 08:39

I can't believe that anyone would think this man should be released! The loss of Stacy has left a hole in the hearts of everyone who knew her, especially her large extended family. Mr. Cantelo's actions on the day he killed Stacy are reprehensible! I have imagined that day in my mind over and over since October 22, 2011. I thought I had finally put it to rest when he was incarcerated, but it's back. Stacy was one of the "little" cousins in my family and the kindest, sweetest soul on earth. How dare they let this man go free!! My heart breaks for Natasha, Bernard, Helen, Boyd, Karen, Joanne, and the list could go on forever. Everyone who knew her, loved her! She's gone and he's a free man. Talk about injustice!

• townie22
    August 02, 2014 - 08:27

so much for victim impact statements at parole hearings, might as well just save your time and gas, and not bother.

• MaryB
    August 01, 2014 - 21:06

How do the parole board members who make these decisions sleep at night? I honestly want to know. If this had been their family that was destroyed that night it's safe to say this piece of crap would not be walking free after serving that joke of a sentence. Parole board - you should be hanging your heads in shame.

• voter
    August 01, 2014 - 17:25

surprise !!!!!!!!!!THIS PERSON ----A LEADER OF AN ISLAND POLITICAL PARTY !!! out early !!!

• huh
      August 02, 2014 - 12:12

oh please....he's the leader of nothing. To suggest that the parole board was influenced because of Cantelo's involvement with an insignificant, barely real, 5th political party on PEI is possibly the most boneheaded comment I've read in a long time.

• voter
      August 04, 2014 - 05:37

@huh---he has political connections -- if he had none he would have gotten 20 years and still be jailed

• Senseless death
    August 01, 2014 - 16:59

WHY is this monster on parole,what a joke...The pain he has cost the family is endless,so this monster can go out and driv drunk and kill someone else,its a blackeye to the family left behind,this just proves that PEI has no justice system,If a person stole ah candy bar from a store then that person would get life without parole....this PEI justice system have to be more strigiant,a sad day for many people,shaking my head.

• voter
    August 01, 2014 - 14:43

HE'S A POLITICIAN --ABOVE THE LAW ------ities and urban centres. Sunday, July 3, 2011 Ray Cantelo Wins Nomination Without Contest in Georgetown-St. Peters District Over 50 Islanders attended Ray Cantelo's candidate nomination at the Cantelo homestead Thursday evening. Cantelo, who has been an active voice in the community for years, particularly on issues of renewable energy, won the nomination without contest. In his acceptance speech, Cantelo focussed on the employment needs of rural Islanders and sustainable economic development. "When Islanders must leave Prince Edward Island to work, families are split up. The bottom line is this does not contribute to our Island economy. The government needs to create an economy that supports entrepreneurs and small business people at the community level and we are not seeing this in PEI." Cantelo believes the Island Party offers a refreshing change to the old-time traditional Island politics. As an Island Party candidate, Cantelo is committed to public policy that addresses the issue of jobs in rural PEI. Billy Cann, Leader of the Island Party of Prince Edward Island supports the nomination of Ray Cantelo. Cann said that we need people who are willing to stand up for the long-term best interests of Islanders. "Traditional politics in PEI is changing. People have watched both mainstream political parties fail to serve the interests of Islanders in rural areas. We have educated people on the Island who cannot find work to sustain their families, and this is causing families to pick up roots and move elsewhere." Cann said that the Island has so much to offer but the current government administration's only interest is in rewarding their political friends. He invited Islanders to view the Island Party website and party platforms. "The Island Party is the ONLY political party in Prince Edward Island that is interested in serving the interests of ALL Islanders. Bringing back the Island to Islanders."

• Huh
      August 02, 2014 - 15:11

The island party??? Never heard of them.

• This is Insane
    August 01, 2014 - 14:12

Will our justice system every change for the better? Is the government that worried about saving money on housing prisoners in prisons? Why do we law abiding citizens continue to put up with this day in and day out? This $%#@% got drunk then decided to use his limited intelligence and got behind of the wheel of his car. Then takes the life of one, almost takes the life of another, and destroys the lives of many. If that's not enough (which it should be), he flat-out denies any wrong doing on his part.....was belligerent to all law enforcement and the victim's family members when confronted with what he did. This guy does not deserve to live let alone be free from prison. If there is a God this man will pay after his pathetic life ends.

• Jeff Murphy
    August 01, 2014 - 14:11

What a joke we have for the justice system on PEI. For starters, 5 years wasn't near enough & for Ray Cantelo to be out already... what can you say... If your are going to break the law, make sure you are on PEI... a slap on the wrist will teach you every time.

• Former Islander
    August 01, 2014 - 13:13

This is soo wrong.

• Stan Hope
    August 01, 2014 - 12:47

Elton John once wrote ... " it's funny how one insect can damage so much grain " . Shame on the Island Unjustice system , shame on the parole board , shame on Ray Cantelo. It was your selfish decision Mr.Cantelo to drink then drive which resulted in the death of a beautiful person and a family destroyed. Your decision to flee and your decision to lie ... your's and your's alone. Mr.Cantelo I trust these decisions will haunt you for the rest of your life. Perhaps this will give the Cheverie family some twisted sense of justice because the Island Justice System has failed them. Sir , you have not paid your dues in full.

• Sam Crow
      August 01, 2014 - 14:29

Stan Hope...Well said. The Parole Board of Canada said he didn’t represent an undue risk to society and his release would help with his reintegration as a law-abiding citizen. What about paying his dues? Less then two years of jail for someone who's actions took a life. I shake my head...crazy.

• Legal system not justice system
    August 01, 2014 - 12:46

I'm all for forgiveness but this is too much. Besides the obvious fact he killed a person, maimed another and destroyed many lives in the process, this was a hit and run. He was uncooperative and argumentative with police. Furthermore, as I recall he did not plead guilty at the earliest opportunity and was defiant throughout. Now the parole board's review is less than glowing....mediocre attitude, high risk of relapsing...18 months later and he's free again. What's wrong with this picture?

• Joe Blow
    August 01, 2014 - 12:22

So....this is yet another embarrassment for PEI and the Canadian Justice system!!

• Former Islander
    August 01, 2014 - 12:20

This is soo wrong.

• Former Islander
    August 01, 2014 - 12:08

This is so wrong. This family has gone through so much and now to have this thrown in their face.

• Observer
    August 01, 2014 - 11:29

I cannot believe that this "person" is out in one and a half years, and can, one day, drive a motor vehicle again!! This animal; while intoxicated, pulled out in front of the motorcycle, killing one person and injuring another, got out of his vehicle, looked at them and got into his vehicle and drove away!!! This action in my opinion, goes against the belief that I have in all Islanders; that they will do all that they can, to help an injured person. This animal drove away!!!

• Natasha
    August 01, 2014 - 11:27

As the daughter of the victims I am sickened at the outcome of this. I have remained quiet since the accident. But I will no longer keep my mouth shut. This monster destroyed my family. The fact that he is already being released is a joke! I ask all people to be aware of his parole conditions and report any and all infractions he may commit.

• Melissa
      August 01, 2014 - 17:15

I second that motion!

• Paige
    August 01, 2014 - 11:14

I can't believe he got out already there is no justice!! Thanks to him, my friend will not have her mother at her side at her upcoming wedding this September. Volunteering and going to church is no substitute to make up for a lost life.

• Gary
    August 01, 2014 - 09:54

The guardian also forgot to mention he is not allowed to drive any motor vehicle including ride on lawnmower tractor etc on any private property highway so if you see you know what to do !!!!!!

• gary peters
    August 01, 2014 - 09:47

the guardian forgot to mention that he is not allowed to drive any motor vechicle that includes ride on lawnmower tractor etc on any private property or highway

• Sam Crow
      August 01, 2014 - 10:03

Wow Gary....really? This guy shouldn't see the light of day. He killed someone..period. He gets less then 2yrs for killing someone and now gets to walk around, while the husband of the woman Ray killed has to live with what happened for the rest of his life. Absolutely mind boggling. I'll bet money that Ray will be seen behind the wheel again...I just hope I'm nowhere near him, I value my life too much.

• Amazing
    August 01, 2014 - 09:21

One and a half years for Murder and Aggravated Assault. What a harsh sentence.