Charlottetown police issue 40 tickets in one day

Close to 40 tickets were issued Wednesday during random road checks conducted by members of Charlottetown police and P.E.I. Highway Safety.

The tickets, issued under the Highway Traffic Act, included one ticket for having no insurance and another for a commercial vehicle removed from service for multiple infractions.

Police say the driver of the commercial vehicle also had a suspended licence.

Random road checks will continue as police attempt to make Island roads safer, a police spokesman said.

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Iceland

Comments

Comments

• VOLUNTEER
    August 04, 2014 - 07:05

the cyclists are like the city guy moving into the country next to a pig farm and then complaining about the smell ---

• antoinedobson
    August 03, 2014 - 23:10

There's a difference between issuing tickets for speeding, running stop signs, red lights or other highway safety acts and doing spot checks on a busy highway interrupting traffic while searching for overdue inspection and registration.. I was caught up in traffic for a half hour while I'm sure other drivers were held up even longer in Winsloe. I ended up being very late for work and the whole operation was very inefficent to say the least. Aint nobody got time for that.

• Bob Docherty
    August 02, 2014 - 15:46

Regular Joe, you just proved my point with your comment. It is people like you who find it hilarious that a cyclist could be killed by a truck on a narrow road that make me very afraid when I am riding. But that is just what red necks like you want, isn't it? It gives you some kind of rush to know just how close you can come to a rider on the street or road just to scare him. Makes you feel like a real man, I bet. You are the kind of moron who thinks cyclists don't deserve a piece of the road. Why is that? What makes you so resentful of cyclists? You must have some kind of a mental problem if riders bother you so much. Well yahoo, get used to it because there are more cyclists year after year and they are still going to be here long after you are forced to accept them. By the way, my cat would pay more in taxes then you ever would.

• John
      August 02, 2014 - 17:38

Bob I enjoy a bike ride but I also drive for a living and find it very dangerous how some cyclists think they own the road as well as cars! Cyclists who do not know the rules like riding side by side and passing on the inside coming up to lights with people making right turns on sidewalks etc! Common sense goes a long way for both cars, trucks and cyclist at the end of the day the person on the bike will lose

Regular Joe
      August 04, 2014 - 16:31

By all means bob do your thing to keep it green but I still say if you have No lights no turn signals no hazard lights then stay on the bike paths ,otherwise your just another nuisance on the highway .

• voter
    August 02, 2014 - 12:31

good job - i'll even pay more taxes if you guys can hire more manpower and issue more tickets !!!!long overdue --

• Bob Mooken
    August 02, 2014 - 08:38

It's a good Start and Scott, don't worry, Timmy is not going anywhere and your double double will still be there if you are a few seconds late because of a horse and carriage. Be careful not to spill any on your lap when you are trying to lift the plastic tab and driving around the that mean old horse and carriage.

• Bob Docherty
    August 02, 2014 - 08:30

Regular Joe, I am a cyclist and I pay city taxes, income taxes, HST, gas taxes when I drive my car, (which is not often). Joe, you had better get used to us. We are cycling on the roads and are here to stay. Since you can't stand to share the road or even to see cyclists on the roads the best thing for you to do is to put you car up on blocks and and stay off the roads. People like you are dangerous to us cyclists and we don't want to have anything to do with you.

• attitude
      August 02, 2014 - 12:25

i give all cyclists wide berths - they seem to have a false sense of security, invincibility entitlement -- they're just another road hazard a defensive driver has to avoid- Island roads could be used for baby carriages ,rickshaws , etc etc etc but they would be equally in foreign territory -island roads are not safe for cyclists - get used to it !!!

Regular Joe
      August 02, 2014 - 15:28

Bob how much in taxes does it cost you to register your cycle every year or get it inspected every year . You admit you don't drive much so it's obvious you pay minimal gas tax . As far as income tax and HST well that's another story and is a burden everyone puts up with and has nothing to do with highways .Next time your cycling on a road with no shoulders and and a semi come up behind you on a blind turn explain to them how much you deserve to be there ..lol

• Scared Pedestrian
    August 02, 2014 - 07:03

I work downtown and see cars zooming through red lights every single day. People, slow down and pay attention! For those of you who don't know, pedestrians have the right away when you're at a stop sign or have a red light. Yesterday I saw a woman almost get run over at a crosswalk. This week I saw a taxi driver go through a red light and then back up from the middle of the intersection without looking at anything around him, including the people on the crosswalk. Walking on the streets of Charlottetown (or biking) is dangerous. Don't assume that drivers are going to stop for you -- even if it's your turn -- because often they are too busy or distracted to notice you're even there.

• great
    August 01, 2014 - 16:48

That is great. Good on them. Keep it up.

• R MacDonald
    August 01, 2014 - 16:34

Way to go to all the hard working officers. you all should be doing this more often :) I agree with "It's a good Start" not because of the speed issue that Ben brought up, but because of spacy drivers or tourists that gawk at the horses and cause accidents. I agree with Ben that most people are in to much of a rush to get 5 blocks away, walk it will be quicker and you will get some exercise.

• intobed
    August 01, 2014 - 16:24

Finally! I have seen more vehicles pulled over by the Charlottetown police in the last five days than I have seen in the last year. Keep this up please!

• Canadian
    August 01, 2014 - 15:19

Why don't we do random house inspections too? I bet we can violate basic freedoms a little more to find some gossipy crimes out there.

• island teen
      August 02, 2014 - 15:58

Random house inspections are you insane? Like seriously were suppose to be free and I'm all for the law at least the right ones and that's foolish I'm not a puppet and I refuse to let someone with gun and a degree in the police force control my life that is a bad call

• Ben Adler
    August 01, 2014 - 15:00

It's a good Start, and it is people like you who are in so much of a rush to get somewhere who cause accidents. The horses and carts as well as cyclists and pedestrians have as much right to be on the street as you do in your vehicle. I cycle all the time and have been almost hurt many times by motorists - not pedestrians nor horses and carts, but drivers who don't know who and what is around them and don't seem to care. I don't fear horses and pedestrians when I am on my bike, but I do fear people like you.

• scott
      August 01, 2014 - 15:44

It's a good start makes a valid point. The horse carriages are rediculously slow and impede traffic flow terribly. When there is a break in traffic, it's like a drag race erupted. When it takes 5 min to go one block behind a carriage, thats rediculous.

• scott
      August 01, 2014 - 15:45

• It's A Good Start
      August 01, 2014 - 17:42

Ben, your post is so devoid of logic it is difficult to respond to. First, in order to make a statement on the legitimate issues faced by cyclists and pedestrians you decide to lump yourself in with horses and wagons. Why? I believe pedestrians and cyclists do not cause the same safety and traffic issues as horses and wagons on the street and have every right to be there. To say that my post suggests otherwise shows what ridiculous lengths you will go to to make a point. You say you have been almost hurt many times by motorists but not by horse and carts so therefore in your mind horses and carts don't pose a safety issue to other motorists. Really? Also, in your mind because I think horse and carts are a safety issue then I obviously don't know what is around me when I drive and furthermore I don't care. What a silly leap of logic. Cyclists and pedestrians have some very serious challenges when sharing the road with motorists. In order to advance your cause I suggest you let someone else act as your spokesperson and perhaps in the meantime you should consider starting to wear a helmet. While those legitimate and important discussions take place (which I support incidentally) I hope that in order to make the streets safer someone will ban those annoying horse and wagons.

Regular Joe
      August 02, 2014 - 04:11

so tired of hearing how these cyclists suposedly have as much right to use the highway as a car or truck . Really well tell me how much taxes a cyclist spends a year on maintenance or fuel or registration ,it's not even 1/1000 of a percent of automobile owners . When they are paying these fees on a comparable basis as car or truck owners then and only then will i say they have equal right to the highways . Until this is happening they need to give automobile owners the right of way period and get out of the way . When's the last time you seen a car on the bike paths or trails ,there would be an unholy uproar if you did ..lol yet they figure they own the highways too . last time i checked the roads were built and maintained for automobile traffic .

• It's a good Start
    August 01, 2014 - 13:35

It's a good start but if they really want to make the streets of Charlottetown safer why don't they ban those horse and wagons that plug up traffic every time a cruise ship comes in? They aren't subject to any of the safety criteria a regular vehicle is and they back up traffic for blocks.

• laughing
      August 01, 2014 - 15:08

Really!!? I have never seen traffic backed up for blocks. I have seen transit buses on Grafton Street back up more traffic than the horse wagons. It's people like you that annoy me the most, not wanting to slow down and in a rush to go no where.

• Poor Baby
      August 01, 2014 - 16:58

You poor baby. Imagine having to wait an extra 3 minutes to get where you are going. Such a tragedy. And you are soooo worked up about it you try to pretend that it is a safety hazard. No. Getting those horse and carriage tours off the road will NOT make anyone any safer.

• How it is
      August 02, 2014 - 08:04

What makes you think the road belongs only to cars, Mr. It's a good Start? I'm glad there is something being done about the illegal drivers but it needs to be an on-going thing, not just a once in a while to get the numbers up.