Beaver 'at large', warns RCMP after unusual accident in Priests Pond

Jocelyne Lloyd

Quebec family lucky to have escaped injury in unusual accident caused by beaver

PRIESTS POND — A Quebec couple and their two toddlers escaped injury Saturday afternoon after a tree fell on the highway, damaging the vehicle they were driving in.

The family, who was visiting P.E.I. from Quebec, was driving on Route 16 in Priests Pond, Kings County, at about 2 p.m. Saturday when the tree fell across the road in front of them.

The driver of the Toyota told Kings District RCMP that he saw the tree falling onto the roadway as he was driving but he was unable to avoid it.

The couple were in the front seat of the vehicle, and their their one- and two-year-old children were travelling in the back seat. No one was injured.

The vehicle sustained significant damage to the roof, windshield and to a cargo box that was mounted on the roof. The vehicle was towed to a body shop for repair.

When RCMP members examined the trunk of the tree, they saw that it had been gnawed just about all of the way through by a beaver, as had several other large trees in the area that were still standing.  Arrangements were made to have the damaged trees taken down safely.

The RCMP news release about the incident concludes with, "The beaver is still at large."

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Quebec, Priests Pond, Priest

Comments

Comments

• Beaver Cleaver
    July 29, 2014 - 23:07

I think someone should contact Richard Brown. He knows how to take care of beavers. He's dynamite!

• Harry
    July 29, 2014 - 18:00

Really sad that these "reporters" paid a substantial amount of money for their education, to come up with these "news" stories.

• Bob MacKenzie
      July 29, 2014 - 18:35

Harry, if you be so kind as to list point by point why this is not a news story. I would be more than happy to make you look like a fool although you are doing a pretty good job of that yourself. I await your list, but I am not holding my breath.

• Revenge
    July 29, 2014 - 13:32

I am the beaver they are looking for. I take full responsibility for this act of peaceful protest. Well almost peaceful, I guess I kinda wrecked a car but hey no one was hurt. For many years my species has adorned the lowly nickel without ever complaining and were we appreciated for our dedication? No. A chance for promotion comes along with the decision to create a one dollar coin. The perfect opportunity to reward us for our faithful service on the nickel. Look in your pockets people and find a one dollar coin. Do you see an image of the majestic beaver? NO, they gave the job to that stupid looking bird!!! So the next time you are driving past a big tree and it starts to sway ask yourselves: is that just the wind or is it perhaps me or one of my friends taking aim.

• Loon
      July 29, 2014 - 17:40

I am the loon you talk so poorly of and I will not stand for such ignorance, we shall battle someday my friend

• Joe Doe
    July 29, 2014 - 12:50

I HOPE JUDGE DOUGLAS THROWS THE BOOK AT THE BEAVER WHEN HE APPEARS IN FRONT OF HIM.

• corey
    July 29, 2014 - 10:29

Only in P.E.I..............!!!

• Frank
    July 29, 2014 - 10:12

RUN BEAVER RUN,POLICE ARE COMING!!!!

• ed
    July 29, 2014 - 09:30

Do we have a photo to release of the beaver?

• sandiMac