Camper in hospital after alleged assault at Tracadie Beach

Staff ~ The Guardian

Tracadie Bay

A   man is in serious condition at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after being assaulted early Sunday morning   on Tracadie Beach.

An RCMP spokesman said the victim was camping on the beach with his partner when they were approached by several males who proceeded to assault the male camper.

Police say the victim and his attackers were not known to each other.

The suspects fled the scene in a vehicle and were believed to be travelling with several females.

Police have chosen not to release the age of the victim or his hometown at this point.

The area in which the couple was camping was not a bona fide public campground.

Police advise the public to use designated campgrounds whenever possible.

Anyone having information about this incident or information about a vehicle in the area in the early hours of Sunday morning is asked to contact Queens District RCMP at (902) 368-9300.

Information can also be provided anonymously via P.E.I. Crime Stoppers by phone 1-800-222-TIPS(8477); by computer via www.peicrimestoppers.com ; on the P.E.I. Crime Stoppers Facebook page, by SMS Text (Text TIP162 plus your message to 274637 (CRIMES); or by using the iPod app.

Organizations: RCMP, Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Geographic location: Brudenell River

Comments

Comments

• tracey
    August 01, 2014 - 22:23

I dont know the man that was beaten very well but from what I do know is always respectable and minds his own business and most people that go camping outside a local campground usually does so because they are looking for a quieter place.Just saying if I wanted to be a troublemaker I wouldnt go camping there.to everyone who thought he was asking for it dosent make sense to me.

• legal beagle
    July 29, 2014 - 07:56

for those of you, like "enough already" who say "there are two sides to the story," I'd like to point out that the man is in "serious condition in the hospital." There is absolutely no good reason for a group of people to beat anyone, especially to that degree. Legally, the assailants are in a very bad position here. This incident is disgusting and inexcusable.

• Fed up
    July 29, 2014 - 07:12

Guardian decided not to print my comment saying how ashamed I am at comments AGAINST the man who was. Eaten...so I will resubmit it. Shame on those who made comments against this man. That bunch of cowards who attacked this innocent man deserves your rude remarks....certainly not the one who was beaten! You should be proud of yourselves! NOT...and Guardian decision makers? YOU should be ashamed printing THEIR comments...not mine!!

• Watch Out
    July 29, 2014 - 06:51

Have gone to Tracadie Beach with the dog a few times, have sometimes felt a little nervous, as it seems to be "locals" only.

• paul
    July 29, 2014 - 06:48

Just a bunch of thugs showing how tough there are to their girls . It is time high time the courts deal with issues with this hard to discourage people from doing this . There may be 2 sides to the story and we may find this out but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then most times it is a duck . THROW THE BOOK AT THEM .

• pig
    July 28, 2014 - 23:04

This is why you really need your own protection, because what good are the police when they get there after the fact and then ask the public to solve the case?

• @ pig
      July 29, 2014 - 14:47

do you expect the police to be able to be there waiting, in anticipation of the attack? Expectations of psychic ability to achieve that perhaps?? Seriously! I'd like to see you pull that off. And yes, police absolutely are reliant on people to provide information to assist in solving crime. Any person having information about this should be chomping at the bit to have these little jerks caught and taken to task...

• re the daughter
    July 28, 2014 - 20:56

The daughter has our sympathies. And we are sorry if you get harassed on this site. If it were a fair fight, or, with mitigating circumstances,then you would think the accused would stick around to state that to the authorities and not flee., but have it sorted out.

• same story
    July 28, 2014 - 19:36

So daughter what are the facts . He just happened to be on the beach in the middle of the night where people are not supposed to camp, being mister innocent was he?

• Good old pei
      July 28, 2014 - 21:02

I don't think anyone here said he was completely innocent but I know this man and I know he is innocent enough to not have to say goodbye to his vision

• Wondering
      July 28, 2014 - 21:32

I didn't realize there was a curfew. Exactly what is the witching hour? At what time does it become perfectly fine to get your head beat in because of a delusional curfew? Are we warning tourists about our new welcoming committee? Or is it just another surprise from gentle Islanders.

• Are you joking
      July 28, 2014 - 22:19

Funny how apparently he must have been up to no good. He was camping with one other person in a tent to enjoy the night at a beach he has gone to for more than 20 years. That man is my father who is smart enough to know that at his age not to go looking for fights.

• Saddened Islander
      July 29, 2014 - 07:57

I am terribly saddened to read this story. But mostly it irritates me that some people think that this gentleman MUST have been doing something to get this beating. How in the name of the good Lord can one justify that statement!!!??? @ Samestory - I never knew there was a law prohibiting people from tenting on the beach. Can you guide to where you got your information from please? I am praying for a speedy recovery for this man. What a terrible thing to happen on our once "Gentle Island". And my opinion is this - Only a coward/cowards attack a man the way this one was attacked. I don't care WHAT happened or didn't happen to cause this. NO ONE deserves a beating like this!!! STOP TRYING TO JUSTIFY THESE COWARDLY ACTS!!!!!!! @ the daughter - stay strong and ignore the ignorant.

• How low!
    July 28, 2014 - 19:35

Sounds like what recently happened in Cape Breton. A innocent man beaten by cowardly thugs so bad he is in hospital in Halifax and his dog at the SPCA. He too was in a tent minding his own business. Is this a new trend for cowardly, insecure, bottom feeders? What a disgusting and criminal act!

• enough already
    July 28, 2014 - 17:09

Dont' get too worked up folks . I am sure there are two sides to this . I am sure buddy is not some poor innocent by stander .

• Daughter
      July 28, 2014 - 18:59

That "buddy" is my dad Get your facts straight bud

• Daughter
      July 28, 2014 - 19:01

That "buddy" is my dad Get your facts straight bud

• Stan Hope
      July 28, 2014 - 19:09

Oh fer sure ... I know the first thing I do when I see several males in the middle of the night is to challenge them , makes sense.

• jeff
    July 28, 2014 - 14:38

Makes me sick thinking this kind of brutality happens on our island.

• jeff
    July 28, 2014 - 14:38

Makes me sick thinking this kind of brutality happens on our island.

• Stan Hope
    July 28, 2014 - 13:18

It's now common place,isn't it.Find someone who's vulnerable and proceed to kick the $hit out of them ... fun time's eh! Notice how it's always " several " punks who commit these assault's. That's because they're bullies and cowards. Hope they're caught but if so what will happen ... nothing. btw welcome to our gentle Island.

• tazman
      July 31, 2014 - 12:39

I don't think fighting is a good thing, I don't mind if it's one on one and for a good reason, being around for a while I've seen 1 on 1, get over it , shake hands and walk away, but when getting the s@#t beat out of you by a bunch of idiots doesn't seem right and the guys handing it out can't be to proud of them selves. I could say worse but I will just leave it at that, thanks